Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt New Service .45 Colt Army Model of 1909

Colt New Service .45 Colt Army Model of 1909

Here for your perusal is Colt New Service .45 DA Colt Army Model of 1909 serial number 30443 which was 1 of 750 shipped to United States Government Commanding Officer Ordnance Depot Manila, The Philippines on June 17, 1909. Army Inspectors of Ordnance R.A.C (Rinaldo A. Carr) is visible underneath barrel; on back of cylinder and left side of frame and FB (Major Frank Baker) is seen on left side of frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1909n.jpg   1909c.jpg   1909b.jpg   1909e.jpg   1909f.jpg  

1909g.jpg   1909h.jpg   1909i.jpg   1909k.jpg   1909l.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh wow! What a piece of history! Somewhere along the line it has been parkerized and it looks as though the grips may have been sanded down a bit, but there can't be very many left in any condition. The Army only bought about 20,000, most of which never made it home from the Phillipines. These routinely go for 2500-4000 bucks when they hit the auction sites. Congratulations on your acquisition. I had a chance to buy a navy version some years back but it was too rich for my wallet.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Shame it was Parkerized, although appears professionally done, perhaps a WW2 refurbish.

Original finish according to your factory letter was blue. Mine has gone almost completely to patina.Attachment 280403
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Nice very nice

Boolit Master
    Awesome piece of history!!
    Actual evidence that the military listened to their field reports and issued a stop-gap measure.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you for showing us that treasure, varifleman. I've only seen 4 or 5 in my lifetime. When in my 30s I frequented a gun shop, and the owner kept one under the counter. When he went out of business I had an opportunity to buy it, but had too many other obligations at the time.

DG

I’ve got a nice one but it’s 455 Eley. I’ve got a 45 Colt cylinder / complete assembly but have never got around to fitting it. I doubt I will since I’ve got 3 45Colt S&Ws.Attachment 280404

I have 200 rounds of 45 Colt ammo coming soon so will post a range report when I shoot it. I think almost all the Colt 1909s remained in the Philippines during their service life; perhaps Parkerized there. I've also got a WWI British Contract Colt New Service .455 Eley; will have to track down photos etc to post.
    Last edited by varifleman; 03-29-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’ve got a nice one but it’s 455 Eley. I’ve got a 45 Colt cylinder / complete assembly but have never got around to fitting it. I doubt I will since I’ve got 3 45Colt S&Ws.Attachment 280404
    They are worth lots more if kept in the original .455 Eley caliber. Now that Starline has brass readily available there is no reason to convert it. My 1914 .455 Eley was part of a 600-gun shipment to the London Armoury Co. and has Birmingham proofs, but no government property or regimental markings. It was likely a private sale, as officers were required to furnish their own kit.

Attachment 280409Attachment 280410
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

You guys are turning me green with envy! I've got several 1917s in .45 ACP, but no Eleys. I sure would have like to have them in my collection, but I've pretty much stopped acquiring--just getting too old to keep accumulating.

I always wanted a DA in .45 Colt, and I think I was more in love with that idea than with the New Service, which I find a bit large for my hand. Not to say that I don't like to shoot them...I do! I think it was about 1987 and I visited a LGS. There in the case was a S&W blue 6" in .45 Colt with an unfluted cylinder. It must have been an "N" frame, but it felt much better in the hand than a 1917. I think the price was about $450. I handed it back, but couldn't get it out of my head and went back the next day. Gone. Never saw another until at a gun show in 2006. The show was put on by our gun club and I was working security. The security people weren't allowed to do shopping while working. There, on a table with several hundred other handguns was a 4 inch. It showed some finish wear, but looked pretty nice. When I went back later at the end of my shift---gone. So, all my .45 Colt revolvers are Peacemaker-types.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Absolutely Beautiful
    Cargo

Here are photos of my Colt New Service .455 Webley pistol which was 1 of 500 shipped to the London Armoury Company on December 26, 1916. It has a very interesting service history since it has British Army acceptance, proof and property marks and AEF (American Expeditionary Forces/US Flag cartouches on the grip and AEF stamp on the bottom of back strap. Still shoots flawlessly after almost 100 years!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NSh.jpg   NSf.jpg   NSc.jpg   NSd.jpg   NSe.jpg  

Last edited by varifleman; 03-29-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Few more photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NSf.jpg   NSg.jpg   NSh.jpg   NSi.jpg   NSj.jpg  

Another beauty! Sir, you seem to be an advanced collector. Congratulations on owning such nice pieces.

DG

Wonderful stuff! I had heard rumor of AEF use of .455s, but until now had never seen evidence to authenticate it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

A few more photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NSa.jpg   NSi.jpg   NSg.jpg  

I got this book a few years ago and it contains good information about AEF troops who served under British command and were issued British firearms.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NSl.jpg  

Several years ago I was fortunate to obtain a crate of .455 Eley WWII issue ammo similar to this one and all of it is still good as the day it was made!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NSm.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by varifleman View Post
    Several years ago I was fortunate to obtain a crate of .455 Eley WWII issue ammo similar to this one and all of it is still good as the day it was made!
    I have some of similar vintage.

It is quite accurate and nearly silent when fired from the 20-inch Garden Gun.

Attachment 280467
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by varifleman View Post
    Here for your perusal is Colt New Service .45 DA Colt Army Model of 1909 serial number 30443 which was 1 of 750 shipped to United States Government Commanding Officer Ordnance Depot Manila, The Philippines on June 17, 1909. Army Inspectors of Ordnance R.A.C (Rinaldo A. Carr) is visible underneath barrel; on back of cylinder and left side of frame and FB (Major Frank Baker) is seen on left side of frame.
    Can't tell from the photo of the chambers, does yours have the groove behind the throats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast