Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any problems with Lee liquid Alox with regular lube groove boolits?

Boolit Master
    I just used regular COWW. I've tried various ways to lube boolits, and found with LLA if it's too thick it will gum up your seating die, so you'll have to keep an eye on the seating depth. I also found that putting a cover of LLA first, very thin, and when it gets good and dry I TL again with JPW. This gives it a good hard covering of wax and it works just fine for me.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

That's why I use 45/45/10.

I get it from White Label Lube, a Vendor here. It helps to slightly warm the bullets in a 100degree oven or if It's a hot day, leave them on old cookie sheets to warm up. Put the cookie sheets in the freezer while you coat your bullets. Then put a sheet of wax paper on the old cookie sheet and dump out your bullets. I take time to stand my bullets on their bases.
    Just 'cause I like to.
    And yeah I recoat after pushing thru a Lee Sizer Die.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I size dry, dump my bullets in a ziploc bag squirt in some of the LLA/JPW lube, knead well, dump on paper plates and let dry overnight. Very simple and easy. I only am tumble lubing 45 auto bullets at present but have run regular lube groove 30/30 bullets with gas checks at full speed.

Boolit Buddy
    Mica huh?… I wonder what a quarter teaspoon of hBN would do to coat a bag of Alox coated bullets.

I’m casting 200gr 30 cal bullets for my 30-40 #3 these days and using up some very old Alox bottles, and I have about an 8 Oz bottle of hBN laying around.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm outta the loop here. What is hBN?

Boolit Buddy
    Hexagonal Boron Nitride. It’s one of the magic fairy dusts that you can tumble jacketed bullets to lube them. There are a lot of people who have tried it, some still use it. I tried it once and decided it wasn’t worth it but I’ve got a bunch of the stuff laying around.

It’s a dry lubricant that stands up to incredible temperatures and it’s really slippery. It’s NASA stuff. It’s the same idea as the old molly but without all the mess it’s white not black, and it’s not hygroscopic so it doesn’t suck water into everything and it doesnt build up in the bore. I have seen some reports of people adding it to their powder coat mixes when they powder coat bullets.

Boolit Grand Master
    Works fine. been doing it for years.
    The trick with LLA is, warm it, thin it with mineral spirits, put it on THIN, let it dry thoroughly.
    I reiterate, put it on THIN.

Thick LLA gums up your seating stem affecting depth in the long run. It will be affected by humidity making it gummy.
    thin makes it dry a bit harder.
    I switched to 45-45-10. Put on THIN!!

Shiloh

Thin really solves a lot of negatives.

Iv'e been using
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

I used LLA as Lee intended it for years with success. Now I dump 4-500 boolits into an old salted nut jar with a tablespoon of Johnson's Paste wax and a short dribble of LLA and have a much better lube. As a bonus, dried boolits are easier to handle and store.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I just used it for the first time on some .44 mags with gas checks. Im not very scientific. So I dumped about 40 bullets in a small plastic container. Put in a very small amount of Alox and then a tiny bit of mineral spirits and swished them around. I dumped them out on a piece of wax paper let them dry overnight and decided to put another light coat on the same way. But this time using even less. They dried and were not tacky. Ive already shot them all up out of a Henry rifle. And they shot very well.

Boolit Buddy
    I used LLA for a long time. It works, but stays sticky and likes to gum things up. I tried white label 45-45-10, but for me, it wasn't much better. I've been using BLL since 2017 and really like it. It's barely tacky when dry. The formula I use is here:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post3887461

I use LLA instead of the liquid xlox. A few drops on a couple of handfuls of boolits makes a thin layer. A little goes a loooooong way. One coat, size, then another coat. For hot loads, I add a third.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    I used LLA for a long time. It works, but stays sticky and likes to gum things up. I tried white label 45-45-10, but for me, it wasn't much better. I've been using BLL since 2017 and really like it. It's barely tacky when dry. The formula I use is here:

I use LLA instead of the liquid xlox. A few drops on a couple of handfuls of boolits makes a thin layer. A little goes a loooooong way. One coat, size, then another coat. For hot loads, I add a third.
    What is BLL?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    What is BLL?
    Ben's Liquid Lube.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    What is BLL?
    Like centershot says, it's Ben's Liquid Lube. The second sticky in this section covers Ben's recipes for it. The original extra ingredient was discontinued, but he found a substitute. I found it to late to get the ingredient for the original mix. I added a link to the substitute recipe I use in my post above. When mixed properly, it pours like coke and you use it by the drop. I mixed mine in 2017 using one bottle of LLA. Several thousand boolits later, I still have 3/4ths of it left. I keep it in a glass bottle with a metal top and shake well before each use.

Boolit Master
    From reading many posts on here over the last few years - Thank Y'all; I started out using a 50-50 mixture of Lee Liquid Alox and Mineral Spirits, and have continued to do so. It has worked perfectly for me with Lee TL mold bullets and with lube groove bullets - no leading, dries pretty fast; although I tumble them a spell, leave the lid off a spell, for a couple of days, not sticky if you lightly sprinkle the bullets with the mix. Also it is cheap to make.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    Like centershot says, it's Ben's Liquid Lube. The second sticky in this section covers Ben's recipes for it. The original extra ingredient was discontinued, but he found a substitute. I found it to late to get the ingredient for the original mix. I added a link to the substitute recipe I use in my post above. When mixed properly, it pours like coke and you use it by the drop. I mixed mine in 2017 using one bottle of LLA. Several thousand boolits later, I still have 3/4ths of it left. I keep it in a glass bottle with a metal top and shake well before each use.
    Smart !!!!!!!!!!

Ben

Boolit Master

I use Ben's on all my PC'd bullets as well. I've been a fan of BLL for years.

Boolit Grand Master
    So happy that BLL works well for you guys.
    I had a friend when I first discovered BLL that urged me to get a patent and bottle it and make money with the lube.

I said NO.

Free to my friends.

Ben

Boolit Master

I'm another Ben's liquid lube fan, When Johnson's announced they discontinued their One Step floor wax. I found 24 cans at Lowe's on clearance the next day. They sold it to me for a buck a can but they made me buy all of it Those folks at Lowe's drive a hard bargain.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I found on here some where in the past to use lighter fluid to thin out LLA . I use it for when I coat my 00 buck shot to load in my 30 cals . I size the buck shot first then I put the shot in a bottle with the mix and then take them out with needle nose plies and put on a try that was when the 22lr came in and place it on there over night and then when dry it is not sticky for me. Then I load .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12