RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any problems with Lee liquid Alox with regular lube groove boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Red face Any problems with Lee liquid Alox with regular lube groove boolits?

Hey Gang,

I have ordered a Mihec 477-640 HP CRAMER mold (non-gas-check) that I plan on ordering a Lee custom bullet sizing kit if these don’t drop at .478 to fit my Ruger SRH chambers.

I really want to keep this as simple as possible, so pan lubing and or pressure/sizing lubing probably won’t happen.

I guess what I am asking is, does the Lee Liquid Alox work well on bullets that have the wider, deep lube grooves more designed for more solid lubes?

I am expecting to load these plain-base boolits with loads ranging from lazy 700-800FPS loads, up to 1200fps boomers, so I am not pushing them too fast for wheel weight lead hopefully.
    Last edited by LEADLUBBER; 06-28-2019 at 01:44 AM.

Boolit Master
    I found the LLA to work on all the cast bullets as long as you let it dry, preferably overnite.
    I have found it useful to thin it a bit with mineral spirits (deodorized paint thinner).
    I like to tumble lube and let dry before sizing them, then follow up with another thinner coat where the sizing bared the metal.Wait for this coat to dry as well before using bullets.

Boolit Master
    normal lube prevents the grove from obturating out when theres sufficient forces to do so. which isn't ideal but it don't mean you'll notice accuracy difference. that's the only technical difference I can think of. as far as function of lube it will probably be between good and usable

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have found it works. But i will caution you to thin it. My first time i didn't and it went on very thick and never did dry totally what a mess. After thinning worked just fine.

I have used LLA on regular lube groove bullets. It works fine except it wants to stay tacky forever. I heated mine in a pot and added what I guess to be equal parts paste wax. I got it a little thick and have to heat it to apply it but it works and dries completely. I put my bullets in a ziploc bag, squirt in the LLA or my 50/50 and knees them till covered.

I hear tell for LLA you can put your bullets in a bag the next day and sprinkle some mica on them and it'll make them not tacky, but I ain't tried it.

LLA works fine on all boolits. Sprinkle a little mica powder after they dry. Then they are a lot easier to handle. I've had boolits stored for a year or more this way and they are just fine.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    The information below is right on from my experiences. The Lee lube works fine especially if thinned. Does not take much lube to get the job done. It may be a bit harder to clean after a shooting session compared to other lubes which require more effort.

Boolit Master
    Use lla on all my boolits they're all regular boolits haven't bothered to use tumble lube Type .223/308/357/45-70 no worries

Before I started to PC my boolits I just used the Lee lube. I used the Lee mold with Lee lube for my Ruger 480 with no problem.

Redhawk, what variety of mica do you use? Where do you acquire it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Redhawk, what variety of mica do you use? Where do you acquire it?
    I bought a small tub from Midway (branded) about 25-30 years ago. I still have about 1/4 of it. You only need a 1/4 teaspoon for about 200 boolits.

They still sell it but now its branded Frankford Arsenal.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...-powdered-mica

I see they have two sizes...I have the 4 oz.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks Redhawk. My friends wife uses colored mica powder to color soap, I wonder if it's the same thing.

IDK...probably is...it's a mineral used in the cosmetic industry as well.

Here are some precautions and info.

https://healthfully.com/harmful-effe...a-8551607.html

redhawk

Super Moderator

LLA works well on regular lube-groove boolits. The key is, use it very sparingly. If you still have sticky boolits after you let dry for 24 hours, you probably used too much. A tiny amount goes a long way!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    * Thin the Alox
    * Tumble with light coating on the bullets
    * While drying - warm with hair dry
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Bazoo sez: "I have used LLA on regular lube groove bullets. It works fine except it wants to stay tacky forever."

Used PURE ALOX 2138F (sticky!!! tacky!!!) for decades. Purchased a gallon can immediately after original Rifleman article came out. >>> (Never dorked around with the BeesWax component. GONRA avoids externally lubed boolits.) <<<

BUT - MY applications are ONLY for all sorts of auto pistol boolits with NO EXTERNAL LUBE GROOVES! DECADES BACK, went to great lengths (special Lyman moulds, etc.) to do this.... Verked GREAT!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow, great info here from all!

Sounds like I will do the Bens Brown mix with Johnsons liquid paste wax and use it sparingly....

Boolit Master

LLA + JPW = Fine Boolit Lube! I simplify things a little bit......Melt the JPW on an ELECTRIC hotplate, OUTDOORS, on low heat, it won't take long. When liquid, add a 4 oz. bottle of LLA ad stir it in. Let t cool and put the lid on it. DONE! As stated above, you don't need very much of this stuff! A very thin wash that you can barely see is enough. Let dry 24 hrs. then tumble with a tiny bit of powdered mica. I'm shooting 158's (WW alloy)@ 1350 fps, no gas check, from a 357 carbine with no leading! It doesn't get simpler than this!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    So, what BHN should I use with boolits that are intended for 800fps, and what BHN for boolits up to 1300fps, using the Mihec mold and the Lee Liquid Alox and Johnson wax mix?

If whatever gun you are shooting has a tight bore, LLA actually increases bullet diameter... as advertised. I covered a bunch of bullets before and they wouldn't chamber in my rifle. So I had to resize all of them again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast