Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: 30 carb

Boolit Buddy

30 carb

Bought a set of 30 carbine dies awhile back. It is a 3 die pacific set. Never saw a 3 die rifle set before. Bare resising die a depriming and expander and a seating die. Never saw a dcaping die like this. I has a sliding cone above the decapying pin. How to adjust this die

Just from your description it sounds like you'll have to lube your cases before sizing. As for the cone above the de-capping pin -- I don't know. Pacific dies aren't that common now days. Could be it centers the mouth of the case beneath the pin?

Boolit Buddy
    You need to lube 30 carbine cases. It is a tapered case and the dies are not carbide.
    I think the small nut on the top of your decapper die is not tight enough. It is a collet style system, and if the collet is not gripping the shaft of the decapper tight enough it will slide up and down. Also, some 30 Carbine brass is military. And I believe has crimped military primers. The decapper collet has to be very tight to push out crimped primers. I used to have to tap the decapper shaft down with a small hammer is some hard to decap cases. Roughing up the shaft also helps the collet hold on. Maybe the expander ball slide up and down slightly as I remember. I always thought it was to center the decapping pin and to allow a "running start" when you withdraw the expander ball from the case.
    PS. Hornady site has some manuals that may help. https://www.hornady.com/support/user-manuals#!/
    Last edited by jblee10; 06-25-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006230.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	244147
    Click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by loveruger View Post
    Bought a set of 30 carbine dies awhile back. It is a 3 die pacific set. .... Never saw a decaping die like this. I has a sliding cone above the decapying pin. How to adjust this die
    I have a few Pacific dies but not for the .30 Carbine so I can't tell you for sure what your "sliding" one is but I'd bet it's your expander. Adjust it so it expands to the seated bullet's bases and you should be done.

The .30 Car is not exactly a "rifle" cartridge. It's a small, high pressure pistol cartridge made for those carbines so we must use a three die set same as for any other "straight" wall cases.

Since there is a slight taper to the cases a carbide sizer will over work the cases below the mouth and greatly shorten case life; you have the better sizer, keep it.

Boolit Grand Master

All straight wall case designs , rifle , pistol or revolver , use a three die set to reload with .

I have several Pacific die sets but every one is 2 die for bottle necked rifles .
    Not sure what the sliding cone above the decapping pin is .
    Usually #1 is the sizer die , #2 is decapping and mouth flairing and #3 is boolit seating and crimping .

Can you post a few photos of the dies and the sliding cone ?

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by loveruger View Post
    Bought a set of 30 carbine dies awhile back. It is a 3 die pacific set. Never saw a 3 die rifle set before. Bare resising die a depriming and expander and a seating die. Never saw a dcaping die like this. I has a sliding cone above the decapying pin. How to adjust this die
    Photos would be a big help ?

Boolit Buddy
    I could send a photo to a cell phone

Quote Originally Posted by jblee10 View Post
    And I believe has crimped military primers.
    jblee,

As a long time collector, hand loader and study of all things concerning the M1 30 caliber Carbine, neither the US military nor any commercially offered ammo has had a primer pocket crimp. As best as I'm aware that cartridge is the only total exception to the military's obsession with crimping primers into place.

GC
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

Boolit Man
    I have a set of Pacific 30 carbine dies in the old blue box. The expander portion of my decaping stem is an integral part of the stem itself. However , the later pacific expander-decaping dies do have a separate expander collar(part no P-15-17 -state caliber ) that fits on the spindle. The directions for adjusting are not unusual. They are: screw die body down until the die touches the shell holder, back expanding unit part way out and secure lock ring. then screw expanding unit down until proper bell is obtained.

Boolit Buddy
    haveornetman thank you

I have a 45 year old set of RCBS 30 carbine dies with the decapping stem on the flaring die rather than the sizing die. No issues at all. It's a 3 die set, too.

And yes, lube is required for sizing...

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

I do not consider the 30 carbine a straight sided case:
    Attachment 245861
    I use a carbide sizer and it growls even with lube on case after about three cases.

Sorry you fellows have so much trouble with the .30 Carbine. Originally I used an RCBS die set, and did lube the cases, but when the Lee Carbide die came along I switched to it and have experienced no problems at all. My current batch of cases are on the 6th reloading and show no signs of stress or failure. I use an RCBS Rock Chucker press, so there's plenty of leverage, but it doesn't require much effort. Just lucky....?