Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cornmeal loads for a 38/357, needing a recipe.

Cornmeal loads for a 38/357, needing a recipe.

I've got a few problems with wasps, flies and other winged critters around the place occasionally.

I recall reading a thread but can't find it now on using 38/357 brass. If I remember correctly, it called for using about 1.5 to 2.0 grains of Bullseye, then placing a cardboard wad over the powder, filling it with cornmeal and topping it off with another wad of cardboard and maybe some candle wax or paraffin.

Anyone using this combination that would be so kind as to share that recipe?

Thanks,

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Murphy,

IF you have a wasp or bee problem, IS using a .38/.357 your best option? Perhaps you live remote from neighbors, but are you going to shoot cornmeal toward wasps??

May I suggest you go get the 25-yard bee spray at Walmart, 2 cans for $5.99, and leave your guns at home. Why is a gun your FIRST response? I have grave concerns about this post.

Adam

Boolit Master

I used 1.8 of BE and used walnut tumbling media to great effect. Less than 1.5 was un reliable, more than 2 would knock paint off the house.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

jcren,

Thanks for the information. I do keep a good deal of walnut media on hand. Hoping to try the cornmeal one first. If not, I will resort to your suggestion.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Murphy,

IF you have a wasp or bee problem, IS using a .38/.357 your best option? Perhaps you live remote from neighbors, but are you going to shoot cornmeal toward wasps??

May I suggest you go get the 25-yard bee spray at Walmart, 2 cans for $5.99, and leave your guns at home. Why is a gun your FIRST response? I have grave concerns about this post.

Adam
    Someone's obviously never been wasp hunting before. Though, around here, it's the carpenter bees.

I second jcren's recipe. Except in my recipe, I use cream of wheat. Better flavor...

What I do is powder, wad, cream of wheat, double wad, roll crimp and a drop of plain Elmer's glue over the top. Clear nail polish works well also.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

That long distance bee spray is awesome. It blows a nest appart. And drops the wasp and hornets fast. Use it at night when they are in the nest.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    That long distance bee spray is awesome. It blows a nest appart. And drops the wasp and hornets fast. Use it at night when they are in the nest.

Give everything a sporting chance.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Give everything a sporting chance.

Now that is some good comedy.

Murphy.
    This the one you remembered?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Tis-the-Season
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Minerat,

Thanks for the link. It's helpful and was a good read. I think I've got it from here.

Thanks fella's!

Murphy

Boolit Master

I'm sorry I hijacked your thread. I do see one advantage to using walnut shell as opposed to the others. You are not introducing a food source for other little critters.

Boolit Grand Master
    There are so many more effective ways to deal with flies and wasps, but none as much fun as shooting them.

My son got me a Bug-A-Salt gun for Father's Day and I have been decimating the flies while sitting on the porch. Killed one small wasp with it but not recommended for them IMHO. Not a good idea to piss off a wasp.

For wasps, I use a product called Onslaught and mix it with cat food. Seems to work well. If I find a nest, the Raid spray at night is effective.

You will tire of loading .38's for shooting flying critters if you have anywhere near my level of flies. I must have dispatched over 200 since the weekend. The Bug-A-Salt is fun and very cheap to use. The salt does not harm paint or stain.
    Don Verna

If you're not allergic to wasp venom and want sport; soak a dish towel in water and commence battle with them. I single handedly wiped out a 2'x3' nest of paper wasps one evening and I only got stung twice. They had a 2" hole in the soffit on my mother in laws breezeway. They had run the remodelers away twice before I wiped them out. The wet towel has good knockdown power- then step on them.
    I do realize that I am crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you're not allergic to wasp venom and want sport; soak a dish towel in water and commence battle with them. I single handedly wiped out a 2'x3' nest of paper wasps one evening and I only got stung twice. They had a 2" hole in the soffit on my mother in laws breezeway. They had run the remodelers away twice before I wiped them out. The wet towel has good knockdown power- then step on them.
    I do realize that I am crazy.

Video or it didn't happen...

So... nothing happened before video? I'm glad we didn't have video cameras back then it would be embarrassing for my kids to watch some of my antics.

Boolit Master

I know what I'D look like if doing that dance, thought I'd ask.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    So... nothing happened before video? I'm glad we didn't have video cameras back then it would be embarrassing for my kids to watch some of my antics.

Yeah, I think we all have done a thing or three that we'd just as soon no one saw or remembers.

Boolit Master

Get a salt gun from TSC.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Best I can figure I am allergic to wasp stings, so I carry an EpiPen in the woods and I'll stick to ranged weapons for wasps, TYVM

Boolit Master
    22Plinkster has a youtube video hunting carpenter bees with cci shot shells. Its prety entertaining.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast