Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Savage 99 Re-Introduction?

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range

md.99 weighs ??

I've yet to personally hold a post WW-II "F" (for featherweight) that wasn't less than 7 Lbs, sans scope and cartridges..The '63 edition 284 I have now weighs 6 Lb.9oz with weaver bases on,& the 1959 made 308 makes 6 lbs.11 oz without bases on.. fwiw,--much lighter in these calibers or the 358 W.and you will likely be wishing for something other than the stock steel butt plate.! Onceabull
    Last edited by onceabull; 11-01-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling OK,keyboarding sucks
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Bret--your 99 weighs over 8 and more with the scope---hmmm--you dont have a helium scope? It added weight how strange.
    Alright, so I ain't the worlds greatest writer! Hemmingway had to start someplace too didn't he?

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by onceabull View Post
    I've yet to personally hold a post WW-II "F" (for featherweight) that wasn't less than 7 Lbs, sans scope and cartridges..The '63 edition 284 I have now weighs 6 Lb.9oz with weaver bases on,& the 1959 made 308 makes 6 lbs.11 oz without bases on.. fwiw,--much lighter in these calibers or the 358 W.and you will likely be wishing for something other than the stock steel butt plate.! Onceabull
    The "A's" were lighter than the "F's" from what I've seen. Anything with a pistol grip will be heavier. Same for that god awful beavertail forearm the ran for a couple years. It's just like comparing a Win 94 Carbine to a 94 Rifle or M 64. The 94 Carbine will be lightest, and the Marlins are heavier yet in rifle form. If you compare some of the older 99's with the long barrels, like my 303, and that crescent buttplate, there's a lot of wood and steel there. IMO it's neithr good nor bad, it's just the way it is.
    Last edited by Bret4207; 11-02-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Brett---Hemmingway had to start someplace. Roger that Ernest.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman View Post
    Brett---Hemmingway had to start someplace. Roger that Ernest.
    Call me "Poppa". You'll love my next book! It's called, "The Old Man and the Sheep".

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I don't know, the 99 is a nice rifle, but I think it is a bit clunky to cut it with today's shooters. (except with guys like us, their preaching to the choir there we love all leverguns)
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Classics like the 250 and 300 Savage would sell well and the 338 Federal strikes me as a worthwhile update too.

Normally I would say heck yes to a Savage 99 in 338 Federal and I'm still not against it !

But........................................ Since Marlin has seen fit to bring out the 338 Marlin Express this coming year that will be fine with me and I prefer the feel of the Marlin anyway !

I've had three 99's in the past . A 30-30 and a pair of 300's and they were nice enough . I just prefer the Marlin's over the Savage lever actions .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    since i just got my 99c 308...i was in the middle of cleaning it,..i guess the copper bore will not affect the weight much....lol
    i got 7.1 lb...
    now back to copper minning...

mike in co
    ( what year is my rifle...see my seperate post)
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Banned
    i'd be all over a new 99 in either .308 or .300 savage

Boolit Grand Master
    The 250 example I have is a pistol-grip and 24" barrel/rifle. Hence the heavier weight.

We'll see what Savage does.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.