BonettTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4790 USD (80%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Question about aggressive barrel cleaning, what to use...

Once with an old mauser, I discovered that to remove old dirt it was best to use different methods.
    First I gave him two liters of boiling water, then a kind of cleaner, which I had lying around. Finally hoppes 9. Between each cleaner, a stainless steel brush, with very hard hairs, that I bought a long time ago on ebay, that was the best method.
    Some friends leave the barrel one day with mercury inside.

Boolit Master

It took me a couple of weeks of scrubbing with hoppe's and wipe-out along with 7 8mm brushes but it finally came clean. Over night soakings then wire brushing finally did the job. That old Turk mauser has a moderately good barrel but it took an awful lot of work to uncover it.

Boolit Master
    Wipe-out removes jacket fouling better than anything I've used. Just don't get it on the stock. Remember that many of these old military rifles were never cleaned with an effective jacket fouling solvent unless it was done with some mercury concoction by an armorer in a depot. I believe the bore cleaner issued to the troops was more of a powder and corrosive primer residue remover than it was a copper solvent.

Boolit Master
    I don't think a brass brush will hurt your barrel. I use Ed's Red with conventional methods and it has worked well.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234