WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Willow charcoal

Moderator Emeritus

Willow charcoal

Up here in the mountains there really isn't any willow on my property. In another thread Fly had mentioned being careful about getting willow charcoal from firework suppliers. My question is I found one place that sells "I am producing Willow Lump Charcoal by the closed retort method. I tried to make air float with a hammer mill but it all floated away in the breeze."

Does this make a difference or still not acceptable? I am just starting to play with a flintlock 50 cal and am looking at $33 for a pound of triple seven locally or paying an additional $22.50 for shipping and hazmat on top if black powder cost. Been reading the threads on making my own black and even some tube videos. I think making my own makes the most sence since I do have time as
    I am on a disability retirement. Thoughts?

Thanks, Ron.

Lots of other wood makes good powder also. Lately I've been using the cedar lizard bedding from Walmart. It's already shredded up and makes decent gunpowder. So does tree of heaven, aka paradise which grows everywhere.

Boolit Master

Should be plenty of Tree of Heaven in WV. I'm in KY and have been using TOH for several years. In my tests I was getting 50fps faster velocity than the Willow I was using. Of course there are many factors that could make that much difference, my tests were not all at the same time nor scientific.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Moderator Emeritus

I had to look up and see what a tree of heaven looks like. I have seen them in NJ but don't remember seeing them in my woods. Gonna have to keep an eye out now that I know what to look for. Thanks.

Ron

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ron, if you do consider buying the willow charcoal ... in a retort, the charcoal cannot exceed 320 degrees Centigrade - otherwise the glucose is flashed off - so call ahead
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    MrWolf, Do not under any circumstance plant the so called tree from Heaven on your property. Around here it is called the tree from hell. It would be like planting tumble weed on your land. Once it gets started it quickly multiplies and is difficult to get rid of.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Those in States west of the Mississippi are well aware of how common Cottonwood trees are particularly near any creek, brook or river, but also may not realize cottonwoods are closely related to Willows.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    Those in States west of the Mississippi are well aware of how common Cottonwood trees are particularly near any creek, brook or river, but also may not realize cottonwoods are closely related to Willows.
    I tried that. It makes super fast super dirty burning powder. Great for fireworks, not so good for guns. Evidently the Confederates used something called cottonwood, but it was not the same tree as we have growing here in the southwest.

Moderator Emeritus

I posted a pic of what I think is tree of heaven that is on my property in a seperate thread. I didn't want to confuse someone else starting out like me. I would never plant an invasive species. My property's timber was cut about 15+ years ago so I only want the sale able wood growing for when I am dead. Told the kids the wood is worth quite a bit and the property will pay for itself when I am gone.

I have never tried it, but another low-density wood that is commonly available in the Eastern US is staghorn sumac. It grows anywhere the forest has been cut to the ground; roadsides, power line rights-of-way, etc. I'm sure you know what it is; it's the short highly branched tree that grows clusters of red seeds in late summer. I have made charcoal from miscellaneous wood I had around, using the paint can method. It is still sitting until I begin my BP experiment.
    Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Moderator Emeritus

I had read about tree of heaven and how it migrates. Same thing when forests are cut or clearing opens up. That is how I figured out where to look, basically alongside my dirt road.