MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: BFR Grips?

Boolit Bub

BFR Grips?

Hey guys looking for some info on some grips for a couple BFRs. One is a 475 with the standard SBH grip. The other is a 45-70 with the bisley grip. The factory black rubber on the 475 just doesn't really do it for me. I'd like to get something a little bit slimmer to fit my hand better. Black rubber is ok at best too. Kind of want something a bit more appealing. The 45-70 has the white factory bisley grips on it. The fit in the hand is ok but dont really care for white grips either. I don't see anything for this bisley frame other than the 2 factory options. I've done some looking with slime quality results. I've found anywhere from 40-400 dollars a pair. I don't need or want anything crazy expensive. These guns are both shooter/hunting guns, not safe queens. I could probably make a set if I had the time but don't have much free time to spend on this size of project. Let alone the guys that do it everyday have way more skill than me. Just looking for ideas and guys to talk too. I would spend 150 on a set but don't really want to go much higher. Any pics or info would be great. Really open as to options at the moment. Pics of your setup would be cool too. Again not looking for crazy dance just nice looking comfortable shooters.

Thanks,
    Adam

Boolit Master
    BFR sells micarta grips for their revolvers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I have a 475 with the plow handle grip. The original rubber didn't do it for me either so I bought the Hogue that Magnum Research sells. These are only available through Magnum Research so you have to pay their high price. I have big hands and wear extra large gloves and this grip is a little too big for me, but that's all that's out there. The guys at Altamont said their Super Blackhawk would fit but when I measured it with their instructions on how to find out what Ruger grip you have, it will come up 1/16" too short. I have a Pachmyr rubber grip that I tried and of course it's 1/16" too short. I've resigned myself to try making a set out of some scrap walnut that I have.

Banner Sponsor

I put the Houge monogrip for a SBH on my 475 BFR. It took a little trimming to get it to fit.
    It would be much better if Magnum sells one made for it.

Boolit Bub
    I'm looking for something slightly smaller than the rubber grip options. And something a bit more appealing. I wouldnt think grips would be that hard to make. Not very many options that I can find for a BFR.

Adam

Not sure which style you have, but the newer rubber grips from MR are slimmer by a good amount than the old Uncle Mike's style grip they used in the past. You can get them directly from MR for around $30. For the Bisley, I'd send my grip frame off to Zane at https://www.lonestarcustomgrips.com/.

-Rod