Thread: The Word is sufficient

The Word is sufficient

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	luther quote.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	283282

Boolit Master

God is revealed to man in two ways. The first is general revelation. This is observation of what God has created and it tells of his power and wisdom. The second is special revelation. This is the miraculous disclosure of God's nature, expectations, plan for redemption, etc. Basically things we could not know about God unless he told us. For us, this is the Bible which is our authority for faith and conduct.

No, I wouldn't depend on dreams or signs either.

Agreed.

Boolit Master
    Signs and dreams have, and gonna, get many in trouble! The word is complete!

Boolit Master
    Outside of scripture, God has never really "told" me anything. But, through honest study and prayers for wisdom, He has indeed opened my eyes to deeper truths of what is written more times than I can remember.

Understanding scripture must start with what is actually written, NOT "This is what I've always been told and therefore it's what I believe"; nor does real understanding come from having no more than a childish grasp of what has been written.

[As a parallel issue, I've had many chuckles from people I knew well saying "God has told me that the congregational leadership should do " this and that ...." about specific issues. But, knowing and loving them as I did, warts and all, I already knew what God would "tell" them that he wanted us to do. I've always wondered why God would "tell" others what he wants from the church but not tell those actually charged with making the decisions! ??? ]

Bottom line, I don't accept what anyone says, especially myself, unless there is written Bible support for it. And, if it IS written, then no opposing arguments of self righteous fools matter. Like, we know God made two sexes so a few people's loopy day dreams otherwise IS the obvious height of foolishness! (Biblical things like "Blind leading the blind ...", "All we like sheep have gone astray ...", "The fool has said in his heart ..." etc., comes to mind.)

Anyone wanting to know life's truths should study the right Book.