RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Divorce and suicide

Divorce and suicide

Hypothetical question : which is worse in the eyes of God? Divorce or suicide? Does it matter? And what about family members?

Some local news stories caused me to begin thinking on this. I'm not sure what to think about it, so I thought I'd ask you folks what you think.

Boolit Master

All I know is the Bible (1 Corinthians 6:19) states that ... know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? This would pertain to the suicide part. "Divorce" on the other hand is a little more unavoidable in certain circumstances....

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. Matthew 5:31-32

IMO, we can't "see" through the eyes of God for one, and second, on the subject of suicide, until we find out if that is a sin or not, I would never do it considering I wouldn't have a chance to ask for forgiveness.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

No where in the Bible can you point to one being more grievous than the other. What is your context? Salvation? Sin? Something else?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Moderator Emeritus

which is worse in the eyes of God? Divorce or suicide?
    The simple answer:
    Ending your life is far worse than dissolution of a marriage.
    Of course, there are always extenuating circumstances to each action.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

I don't believe the 10 commandments were written in a specific order or magnitude. Sin is sin and as far as I believe all are "equal", no where is there a listing of the severity of sins.

Boolit Master
    When you put on a nicely pressed clean white shirt and then get a spot on it right up front, are you more or less upset because of the size of the spot?

Boolit Master

A sin is an act against God's will, so I don't think there are big sins and little sins. The Bible says God hates divorce. A divorce can affect 1 ,2 or 3 generations.
    A suicide usually is associated with a mental illness likely depression or feeling helpless. Depression can be treated and feeling helpless is temporary. That also may need mental theropy.
    Others that may be in pain and terminally ill , I don't know how God would view that. Also would it be the same if a person refuses medical attention,such as a person refusing chemotheropy.

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    When you put on a nicely pressed clean white shirt and then get a spot on it right up front, are you more or less upset because of the size of the spot?
    I don't follow this analogy at all. Can you elaborate a bit, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    No where in the Bible can you point to one being more grievous than the other. What is your context? Salvation? Sin? Something else?
    As you point out, I am unaware of any one sin considered more or less grevous than another. My thoughts were more toward how the family was impacted. Either divorce or suicide is going to set off a chain of events.

I'm not after a 'correct' or 'incorrect' answer, more just interested in how others view such an action as pertaining to their faith.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but it's the best way I know to explain it.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 05-08-2019 at 01:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I don't follow this analogy at all. Can you elaborate a bit, please?
    The size of the spot doesn’t affect your level of disappointment, the shirt was clean and now it is not. I think similar reasoning applies to the relative size or scale or importance of specific sins to God. God views the shirt (our soul, us) as no longer clean because of sin, the size of the sin doesn’t matter.

Both are bad.

Marriage IMO is a 3 way contract with a Man, a woman, and their God.
    Man and Woman can get divorced, tear up their contract, God still holds his copy, and holds you to it. So sex outside of that marriage after divorce could in his eyes be seen as Adultery and a sin.

Ending oneself, well that is a hard one.
    Dieselhorses quote of Corinthians pretty much lays down the law right there.

I agree with several others, it is not which one is worse, they are both bad.

Suicide is IMO more based on "Self" ie "My life sucks so I'm going to check out" with little or no consideration to how that act effects others.

I also agree with several others who pointed out that a Sin is a Sin. In effect you have deliberately pissed off the Lord God Almighty. Does it matter which is worse? Both are bad and to be avoided.

As I am married to a once married and divorced woman (Not her fault) The Lord and I ended up having some pretty long talks about this subject. For a time I was her husband in every way but in bed. Now I don't know if he was testing me? Testing my Wife? Eventually it came down to the ex abandoning her and her newborn child. His taking up with her best friend, fathering 5 children on her. 3 of them born with another mans name. (But really ********) When I brought up under the old law he would have been stoned to death for adultery The Lord stopped asking me to restrain myself from my wife. Not that at 66 with health issues it is a big problem, because the opposite is true. Little willy is tired and retired, sleeping most of the time and frankly I'm ok with that. Over 60 sex is a lot of work. A good backscratch and snuggle can be better.

Boolit Grand Master
    First John 1:9 declares, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Therefore, the only sin that cannot be forgiven is to reject Christ and the forgiveness He offers. So, in that sense, the "greatest sin" is not believing in Jesus.

As to divorce...confessing our sin should yield forgiveness.

As to suicide...I see the same result (forgiveness) if someone prays to Jesus before committing the act.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I was taught that God "remembers your sin no more forever" if you are saved. Hence, whatever deep despair that you get into, no matter the problem, God has a place for you.
    If you're saved, you're saved. I haven't read anywhere that Jesus said "I go to prepare place for you, unless you do something wrong. Then I'll stop construction."
    No 'Look, He's doing good today, put up the walls... no, wait, he messed up. tear it back down again'
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I would suggest avoiding both. As far as the decisions of others, it doesn’t affect me and my own multitude of failings.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Sin is sin. God hates sin, no degrees of sin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    Sin is sin. God hates sin, no degrees of sin.
    And are there degrees of forgiveness or of love or of God's understanding?

Boolit Master

Divorce is prevalent in My Family. I'm Jew, not a Christian. We have a different view of Divorce. But our view regarding Divorce is the same or even Harder, but possible.

I Can't quote Scripture as My Masonic Bible and Copy of the Jewish Holy Scriptures were stolen years ago. And I Can't find Proper Replacements.

I do know there are many Differences between the Prevalent King James Version of the old/new Testaments and the Jewish Holy Scriptures.

But I was raised on the Books of Moses.

To My Family, suicide is just about the worst thing a man can do to his Family and his own Soul.
    An act of COMPLETE COWARDICE.
    The only excuse is a matter of Honor, to Preserve the Lives and/or Honor of the Family.
    Example being the suicide of Gen. Ervin Rommel to save the Lives of his Family.

I'm the child of Divorce, and My Mother's Mother was also Divorced. My Sister, an Uncle and 2 Aunt's. Plus a few Cousins.
    My Wife's Family is Big, 4 Sister's, one divorce and two divorces. 9 Nieces & Nephews, 8 divorces, a couple twice.

So as far as Divorce goes, I am not qualified to make a moral judgement on that.

As far as Marriage goes I've taken 4 Oaths in my Life;
    DeMolay, Masonry, the U.S. Government/U. S. NAVY.

And My Marriage Vow with My Wife.

I've broken NONE.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKShootist View Post
    And are there degrees of forgiveness or of love or of God's understanding?
    What do you think or believe?

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    The size of the spot doesn’t affect your level of disappointment, the shirt was clean and now it is not. I think similar reasoning applies to the relative size or scale or importance of specific sins to God. God views the shirt (our soul, us) as no longer clean because of sin, the size of the sin doesn’t matter.
    Now I follow. Thank you.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not sure but with a divorce there may be no need for suicide your spouse may take care of that for you.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast