WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Harbor Freight wrenches

Boolit Master

I got Thorson ratchets in the 60s when I was in high school. The 3/8 handle stripped after about 25 years of fairly hard use. The 1/4'' handle disappeared somehow and I have a Husky and another shorty menards handle to replace it. The 1/2 is as good as it ever was , it being a lot beefier. I have picked up two sets of 3/8 Craftsman sets that were almost complete and several 3/8 Craftsman handles. I have plenty of wrenches to spare and plenty of spare sockets. The 3/8 handle I got at Auto Zone fell apart right away. It had a nice chrome job on it though. I think that was named Great Neck or something.
    Last edited by frkelly74; 12-01-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I have been a Honda Automotive tech for about 17 years and my box is home to many different tool brands. When I first started I came in with Craftsman tools and supplemented with Snap On because he was the only truck that came around. They were much better than my Craftsman ones. I changed dealerships and lost my Snap On guy but ended up with new one along with Matco and Cornwell. I started buying Cornwell since the price was significantly better and the warranty was the same. Snap On is still a better tool but not by as much as the price difference. Having the tool guy come to the shop every week has saved me plenty of times. I know I’m overpaying but I don’t mind as much when I have that support.

We have lost all of our tool trucks except for Gear Wrench, which has never lived up to my expectations. Now I don’t have that support and have a cardboard box full of broken tools of all different brands that need to be warrantied but no tool vender to make it happen. I know I can mail them in but then you’re paying for shipping and relying on the package arriving intact. One of my other techs had a package full of broken warranty tools get lost in shipping. He was out hundreds of dollars.

I have resorted to Harbor Freight’s Icon line for back up replacements until I can flag down the appropriate dealers to warranty my good tools in person. One particular HF tool I have been impressed with is their long handled, swivel head 1/2” ratchet. It’s not as long as my broken Cornwell version so it sometimes needs a cheater bar for added persuasion but it has held up to some serious abuse. I would put it up against a craftsman equivalent any day of the week. It’s not as long or comfortable as the Snap On version and the gear teeth aren’t quite as smooth but it was probably 1/4 the price and is getting the job done.

Boolit Master

Tekton seems like a good brand to me. Now I am not a professional and I have never broken a wrench or socket, so my experience is limited. I have a few sockets sets, a set of wrenches, some pliers and screwdrivers; all purchased within the last two years.

Tekton will ship you tools with free shipping and you generally get them within 3 days. There is no limit to buy either. If for some reason you break something, you just have to send them a picture of the item and they get a replacement out quickly.

Most of Tekton's products are made in Taiwan, some in the US and a few in China. Tekton's prices are less than half that of SK.

Boolit Master
    I was a mechanic for 40 odd years,from 15,and have never got an exchange for a busted tool.......all my working tools have the chrome worn off ,soon as I stopped using them ,they went rusty....i was working with some clowns that would bust one impact socket after another with a torque multiplier.,and claim replacement on them,even tho Snapon claim impact arent replaceable........Anyhoo,I lost more than broke ,and just bought more.

I have some HF T-handle Allen Wrenches both Metric and SAE. I have a few of their Digital Calipers. Have lasted me years so far. I won't buy anything really critical from H/F.

Boolit Master
    Cheap tools are good to carry in your boat tool box. If you drop them in the lake no big loss. Same goes for needle nose pliers, knives, etc. used while fishing.

Boolit Master

I've never earned my living turning wrenches. I bought my first wrenches, a small Proto set of metric combination wrenches because my first car out of college was a Volkswagen bug. Ever since when I bought tools, I tried to get quality. Never Snap-On. Now that I have been retired for about 15 years, I don't use tools every day. Only when something around the house needs attention.

Back about 25 years ago I got interested in radio. Thought I had to have all those small tools. Ran across a complete set of Xcelite tools from a company that was getting out of business. I think I paid about $250. Could be way off. It is this exact set except for the case. Mine is plain luggage.

https://www.toolfetch.com/Xcelite-TC...CABEgKmj_D_BwE

Price now is $1600
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Two best excerpts from this whole thread:

Buying more than you need is a waste. Paying money for less than will do the job is also a waste. Up to the individual and their circumstances to figure out where that point lies at.
    And
    If your (sic) paying Chi-Com for anything ....You're a traitor to the few hard working American people left around. But then again ....Try buying anything the Communists don't have their fingers in !!!

Nothing in the world of tools stays the same. A person needs to look at the needs and options based on who makes what at the time of purchase. I have and use a conglomeration of everything from WW2 era US name brand tools to current offerings from Blackhawk, Klein, and better quality private labels from Taiwan. I stopped buying anything from mainland China because my value proposition includes whether my purchase will continue the erosion of the US manufacturing industry and economic markets.

My son, who has a mobile mechanic business has pointed me to Tekton. He has had very good results, had no problem with warranty on the 1 item that broke. They are US based with country of origin listed for most products on their website. Works for me.

Moderator Emeritus

I used Harbor Freight tools for years but had gotten to where many were missing and I needed to replace them.

Decided on a new toolbox at the same time and I wanted something big enough to hold everything. I went to Northern Tools for the toolbox and started looking at their hand tools. Klutch brand, lifetime warranty, Northern Tool has stores all over the place so getting to one is easy...

I bought the biggest set of mechanics tools Klutch makes. I now have every specialty socket and wrench I will ever need.

Went with a Homack toolbox, had very good reviews, well made of heavy gauge steel, drawers lock in when closed, have to lift and pull to open... and it is DEEP. Compared to my 2 small cheap toolboxes it is like a beer can compared to a tin food can in construction

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.
    (Picked up lottsa SnapOn's in the street too over the decades....)

NOW need advice on STRONG 1/4 & 3/8 inch drive SOCKET sets for the Grandsons.
    Really wanna get 'em (new) on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
    Anyway - need suggested brand that can be found on Amazon.com!
    THANX guys!
    I have had very good luck with Tekton sockets and wrenches. All purchased on Amazon at reasonable prices. I have never had to use the warranty, but reports I’ve read from those who did were favorable.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.
    (Picked up lottsa SnapOn's in the street too over the decades....)

NOW need advice on STRONG 1/4 & 3/8 inch drive SOCKET sets for the Grandsons.
    Really wanna get 'em (new) on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
    Anyway - need suggested brand that can be found on Amazon.com!
    THANX guys!
    I have had very good luck with Tekton sockets and wrenches. All purchased on Amazon at reasonable prices. I have never had to use the warranty, but reports I’ve read from those who did were favorable. Also, unlike some other brands, Tekton does not skip “rarely used” sizes which was a big selling point for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234