Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight wrenches

Boolit Master
    I bought lots of Craftsman tools over 20 years ago to supplement the good, old SK and somewhat newer Blackhawk tools I already had. At this point in time the SK and Blackhawk still work flawlessly. The supply of Craftsman ratchet handles has dwindled. I traded one in for a Husky when the introductory promotion was going on, and it has been flawless. I don't even bother returning Craftsman ratchets any more because what will I get? Another junk Craftsman. They're not breaking much any more though, because I don't use them much.

The 20+ year old Craftsman sockets and combination wrenches have been ok, for the most part.

The past few years I have been buying the cheap HF combination wrench sets to put in my trucks and motorcycles. I use them quite a bit, and they have been fine. Comparing 12 pt to 12 pt, I really don't see where my Craftsman wrenches are any better.

As for ratchet handles, I've learned my lesson and use decent quality stuff. Not Snap On, but better than Craftsman. As bad as they were in the '90s, I don't even want to try a new one.

Boolit Master
    "I've become a firm Believer that unless you find them used and for a fair price only a fool will buy snap on ."

Clearly you don't turn wrenches for a wage. 35 years as a diesel mechanic and 99% Snap-on. And the best part....they will still be there for my childrens children to use. As far as around the house.....there have been a lot of good suggestions but personally the only wrenches I have ever purchased from HF were directly bent or ground on for a special application.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I never worked as a mechanic but I used tools for a living. 24/7/365 in all kinds of conditions. They had to work when I needed them. So I bought good quality tools. I have a few cheap tools. Like another poster said, a spare set in a car or truck. Just in case and not really expecting to use them. In my case I have a few cheap tools on my tractor. The tool box leaks and theres a better chance of them being lost or stolen than there is of breaking them.

I suggest picking your tools according to your need. Like OS OK, if you're 15 miles out in the Gulf on an oil rig, or like Reddirt where you use them everyday for 35 years or like me being 160ft in the air, they got to work. If you use it lightly once every few years your choice may be different.

Boolit Master
    I chased down a Snap-On van almost 20 years ago for a special tool. He printed a receipt from his computer for the most expensive socket I ever bought. In the Van He had 120VAC from 4 batteries and an inverter with a built in generator for backup. I'll bet almost half my money went to the Snap-On Company.

I've been using HF sockets and wrenches for over 25 years and the only socket I split was one of the old thin Craftsman.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    "I've become a firm Believer that unless you find them used and for a fair price only a fool will buy snap on ."

Clearly you don't turn wrenches for a wage. 35 years as a diesel mechanic and 99% Snap-on. And the best part....they will still be there for my childrens children to use. As far as around the house.....there have been a lot of good suggestions but personally the only wrenches I have ever purchased from HF were directly bent or ground on for a special application.

I understand making a living with tools very well .

I don't know how to post a link , but go to you tube and search ..
    "Snap on tools million dollar mistake "
    And then watch the "den of tools " video and learn a very good economic lesson on " investing " in your tools .
    And then understand why I stand by my statement very firmly !

Boolit Grand Master
    In the past, I've gotten a few sets.
    They work OK.
    Metal is kind of soft.
    I've bent a few to odd angles as needed.
    Haven't had on break on me ............Yet.
    Good tools will last you a lifetime..........Unless you lose them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redneck1 View Post
    I understand making a living with tools very well .

I don't know how to post a link , but go to you tube and search ..
    "Snap on tools million dollar mistake "
    And then watch the "den of tools " video and learn a very good economic lesson on " investing " in your tools .
    And then understand why I stand by my statement very firmly !
    No need....I have experienced it...I bought the cheap tools and they broke, or they stretched. No longer. I stand my my comments because of years of professional day to day experience. Besides, I don't believe much I read on the interweds.

Banned
    Well then , I guess your the perfect tool truck customer then .
    Enjoy

Boolit Master
    If any one I Hire came to do a job with HF tools . . I tell him to go home
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Years ago I broke some craftsman whitworth sockets, guess they came from Briton too! Not english, not metric - darn. Everything on their cars were whitworth - hose, pipe, bearings, etc. Their gears had voids and broke easy.
    Sears did replace them when they were in stock.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I got one set of these years ago to do an engine swap for my brother. I didn't want to drive 50 miles to get my good wrenches. I broke 3 before the job was done and never tried them again!

Use case and function determine what price point makes sense. Tools are no different. If one has to factor in down time on a paying job into the "cost" of the tool then premium quality makes more sense. If one wants to have a set of wrenches on the reloading bench, car or camper to tighten up or adjust things then buying premium wrenches is probably a waste of money. Too little use and probably used to perform lighter work.

There are exceptions. I want a good ratchet handle, the sockets don't have to be premium but plastic in a ratchet handle is a no-no. I have 30 year old 1/2 drive set from a tool auction barn that are nothing special but have worked when I needed them to. I did replace the ratchet handle at some point but then I have rebuilt both a school bus engine and Ford truck motor, as well as many other homeowner jobs with them.

Right size handle makes a difference too. If one needs a breaker bar to get leverage sufficient to move the fastener, reefing on the short handle is a good recipe for stripping something because the fastener just won't move.

I used the HF line wrenches to work on brakes that were pretty seized up and they worked. If I had used the most premium open end wrenches I would have probably rounded the corners on the fastener. Right tool can also avoid "issues".

I do know contractors that buy HF power tools with extended warranties for the crew. They have extras and if it breaks due to the love and care of hourly employees they just toss it in the truck and swap it out after work.

Buying more than you need is a waste. Paying money for less than will do the job is also a waste. Up to the individual and their circumstances to figure out where that point lies at.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    The only HF wrenches I’ve broken are the ones I put a cheater pipe or a wrench inside a wrench to get extra leverage. I also have, and broke other brand small wrenches when abused.
    HF small screwdrivers are not that great for constant use on terminals like wiring panels all day every day.
    The larger wrench sets over 1” I have for working on my tractor, ford truck,
    they have served me well so far.
    I keep a roll up combo standard/ metric set wrenches in my car, truck and barn
    just to have handy and they have not even rusted yet.
    Impact sockets +1, quick clamps for lite use +1
    Ratchets I prefer a better quality for real work, but extra,spare sets to have handy all over barn,basement,car,truck you just can’t beat the price !

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't make a living with them but I have a shed full of HB tools. For non-professionals like me they work very well. I can't see paying Snap On or Blackhawk prices for something I might use once or twice a year.

Read Lightman's post. I agree 100%
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I've worked at many a shop in the last 25 years, and currently work in a shop that works almost everything! Our techs have a different variety of tools, and we all seem to get work done with whatever we have on hand. I figured out a long time ago that I wanted to make a living, not the Tool man make a living off me! I realize that certain brands have there positive, I've made out quite well using craftsman sockets, wrenches, but I will not use a craftsman ratchet, and if you hand me one, I'll will politely throw it a country mile! And I hate cheap screwdrivers. And if you don't know just about all the hand tools now are made in China, even the ones off the tool trucks! Cheap tools have come a long way these days, I buy a lot of tools from HF, Amazon and other places that have budget tools. If some were tell me I couldn't work for them cause I had cheap tools, I'd give them a piece of my mind! It's not the tool, it's the man that knows how to use the tools!

I've never broken a wrench of any brand, I lose them...

Boolit Master
    I've broken them, but I was doing something stupid, like using a cheater pipe, or double wrenching! And yes I have the skint knuckles to prove it!

Boolit Master
    Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.
    (Picked up lottsa SnapOn's in the street too over the decades....)

NOW need advice on STRONG 1/4 & 3/8 inch drive SOCKET sets for the Grandsons.
    Really wanna get 'em (new) on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
    Anyway - need suggested brand that can be found on Amazon.com!
    THANX guys!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    Waaay back, GONRA aways purchased Craftsman 6, 8 & 12 pt. SOCKETS at local Sears.
    (Picked up lottsa SnapOn's in the street too over the decades....)

NOW need advice on STRONG 1/4 & 3/8 inch drive SOCKET sets for the Grandsons.
    Really wanna get 'em (new) on Amazon.com too.

Not sure if the Craftsman Brand quality has survived all the Sears dissolution stuff?
    Anyway - need suggested brand that can be found on Amazon.com!
    THANX guys!
    Craftsman is now owned by Stanley. I bought a full set of combination wrenches and 3/8 extensions which have been great. The combination wrenches were USA made, fully polished, nice.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot of S&K tools. Bought them at the auto parts store over 30 years ago. Our local Harware store still has some in stock. Seeing how Craftsman and others moved production to China I suppose the Chicoms learned how to make some o.k. tools. Been thinking I need a set for the basement instead of running out to the garage all the time. HF is not all bad......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast