MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight wrenches

Boolit Master
    For good tools at a fair price, I get powerbilt from O'Reilly Auto parts. I have wrenches, ratchets and sockets that are 30+ years old and other than losing a few they have all worked well. I worked in a small auto engine rebuild shop where I rebuilt engine parts and after hours I pulled and installed the engines.

I prefer 3/8" drive ratchets and sockets over 1/2" drive because of the more convenient size and tend to use them harder rather than using the more bulky 1/2" drive. I assume powerbilt are Chinese but I have abused them without issue and they are far cheaper than SnapOn.

Some times you need to get a certain tool that can only be bought from a quality tool company. About 50 years ago I paid $10 for a single SnapOn 10mm wrench because it was the only 10mm wrench I could find that would fit in a very tight spot on certain Honda motorcycles and I worked on a bunch of them.

I remember when a cheap Chinese 40 piece 3/8 drive ratchet set cost $9.99 and really wasn't worth 99 cents. After 60 years of turning wrenches for a living, I can usually tell a cheap tool from a good one just by looking. I don't even put cheap tools in my cars although there are good tools that are not SnapOn price.

I have a set of Chinese micrometers (1-4 inch) that are as good as any other mics I have used. China knows how to build quality tools but I sure they are not using HF tools to build their submarines, airplanes and rockets.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 11-30-2021 at 01:08 PM.

I have lots of Harbor Freight tools. I generally use them for lighter tasks or tasks that I have to do just every once in a while. You just have to have realistic expectations when buying/using them. For example, I expect their allen wrenches to strip and/or round when used heavily. But at their prices, I can keep a set of metric and standard keys in my garage, some in my basement, and some in my truck.

Comparison testing of a variety of wrenches at different price points. His channel has lots of tool tests that I find useful and interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyOd05PUix4

quite interesting. Bluepoint brand which is a Snapon brand is relatively decent price point tool. 62 pc set of sockets is $154 list. Oh, made in Taiwan....
    at least not mainland chine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buggybuilder View Post
    Are the Pittsburg brand wrenches from Harbor Freight any good?
    Lifetime warranty, but is replacement a circus?
    I haven't had any of them break, yet. They're generally pretty well built. I've used them at home, and at work. This is wrenches we're talking about. Don't feel the same way about their locking pliers. Those are pretty crappy. Vise Grip all the way! Used to buy Craftsman, still buy Crescent brand when I can get it, and Channellock. They're still great.

Best place for Pittsburgh tools is in boxes that are shared at work, and those you need to leave in a vehicle. It doesn't sting so bad when you have to replace them.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Rule of mine: If you make a living with a tool, buy the best quality you can, even if you thing you cannot afford it at the time! Wasted job time is far more expensive.

If you are just weekend tinkering in the garage, the HF junk is probably OK for causal occasional use. Craftsman used to be good....now it's Chicom with a warranty.

Buy American 100%. There are still American-made quality tools out there, like Channel-Lok and others.

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting comment, I have broken more Channel lock brand pliers than any other. For me the metal splits open or cracks across the adjustment bars. I would guess 5 pair in the last 20 years.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I was going to stay out of this but.... any full grown man can twist off any bolt/nut your going after with a 1/4 inch drive tool. Spending any more than HF prices is just plain stupid. I have a HF 3/4 drive set for farm stuff. I have yet to break one since the early '80's when they were mail order only. I buy a lot of yard sale tool set and fleabay stuff. Not trying to sell HF, just saying they are worth what you pay. Electic tools not so much. They had nut busters which were great but would break.

Boolit Master
    Taiwan is not Chinese nor is it Communist. They produce some of the best tools, period.

Craftsman tools not made in the USA look to be from the Apex Tool Group which is Weller, Gear Wrench, Crescent, and Jacobs to name a few. All the Apex tools I've purchased have come from Taiwan and have been very good.

The USA made Craftsman wrenches I bought NEW a couple years ago were probably made by Western Forging and are very nice.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Yeah, the HF sockets might last because they are twice the thickness of quality tools. Try getting them on a bolt head in a recessed pocket like is found on most motors today. I made a living turning wrenches for the last 40 years. There is no HF in my box.

Boolit Master
    For really good pliers check out the Knipex brand. I keep a set of their 8" water pump pliers in the side pocket of my work pants always. They are not cheap but mine look like new after about ten years of hard use.

Boolit Master

I worked for a JD dealership for about a year as a lot manager, as such I didn't get a tool allowance. But I had to wrench a bunch of stuff on and off the trade-ins, so needed tools. I wasn't about to use my Craftsman tools and leave them there. So I bought a few HF sockets, wrenches, hammers etc, and I have to say they held up quite well. The mechanics had snap-on, since the truck showed up at least once or twice a week, and the tool allowance, but some had some HF tools too. I would love to stay US made, but unfortunately they are far and few between, and since I don't make money with my tools, I just can't afford them.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    Bought a complete set of sockets inch and metric along with wrenches kobalt brand as sold by lowe's. Never a problem. But still have old craftsman, proto, kline, and the list goes on. Even have a set of open end wrenches that were made in south korea. Used them occcasionally when I had installed a ball hitch on my kubota towing bar. Loaned to my neighbor who owns a garage in town. Saved him the trip into town. Good tools are well worth their initial investment, older ones even more so. Frank

Boolit Master
    Funny how something like this thread resonates with everyone with strong options...sounds like about everyone has "tried" HF. I tinker on the weekends and their sockets are fine for me. I think I have broke only one impact socket, but I am not using them daily. I will not buy their electric or battery powered tools, clamps or pliers....pretty much anything that moves or adjusts, you might think twice. (possible exception, when the angle grinders are $10, you might try a couple, won't last long, but disposiable for sure at that price) If you use daily, they just aren't what you want. I have had limited luck with their pneumatic tools, (impact gun maybe, nailers no). I have pretty much replaced most of those with Dewalt 20 volts now. I did buy a PC gun...still in the box maybe 4 years later...glad shake-n-bake got going before I had to deal with that. I do buy abrasive and cut-off disks there, they are OK.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Proto, Mac, Snap-on and a few S&K brand tools, All are over 45 years old.
    Since I only use American made tools my hands are more smoother and youthful looking, Also softer to the touch.

If your paying Chi-Com for anything ....You're a traitor to the few hard working American people left around. But then again ....Try buying anything the Communists don't have their fingers in !!!

Boolit Master

I've goty plenty.. only ever broke 1.. using it as a pry bar with a pipe.. walked in..walked out. never even saw a register. manager handled it.

it didnt match my set looks wise.. but was close.

Boolit Buddy
    Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker. For all of us USA made tools fans, good news is on the horizon. They've built a new production facility outside of Fort Worth Texas to manufacture hand tools in-house, in the USA.

Harbor Freight is okay for some things. If I am going to buy a tool that I know I am only likely to use once or twice, sure. Basic hand tools that take a beating pretty much any job that I do - no thanks, I'll stick to one of the USA brands. Even if that means I need to buy used or vintage equipment.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by zarrinvz24 View Post
    Craftsman is now owned by Stanley Black & Decker. For all of us USA made tools fans, good news is on the horizon. They've built a new production facility outside of Fort Worth Texas to manufacture hand tools in-house, in the USA.

Harbor Freight is okay for some things. If I am going to buy a tool that I know I am only likely to use once or twice, sure. Basic hand tools that take a beating pretty much any job that I do - no thanks, I'll stick to one of the USA brands. Even if that means I need to buy used or vintage equipment.
    Right on ! Ton's of US tools at the flea market !!!

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a good quality set of wrenches, there's basically one thing you need to be concerned about: they need to be "Made in USA."

I have had Craftsman hand tools for years, but once I saw "China" on them at the store, I am done with the brand and I am confident that is the right decision.

There are plenty of brands out there making tools in America, not just the tool trucks. SK and Klein are on my short list.

I am bummed that they ruined the Craftsman brand. It was one of the great remaining affordable iconic American brands. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they let it go to China.

Boolit Grand Master

In actual testing they are about 3/4 as strong as Mac or Snap On. You need to decide if the difference is worth ot to you. After i broke two puttin a motor in my brother's car I GAVE the rest to him and brought my good tools from work.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    If you want a good quality set of wrenches, there's basically one thing you need to be concerned about: they need to be "Made in USA."

I have had Craftsman hand tools for years, but once I saw "China" on them at the store, I am done with the brand and I am confident that is the right decision.

There are plenty of brands out there making tools in America, not just the tool trucks. SK and Klein are on my short list.

I am bummed that they ruined the Craftsman brand. It was one of the great remaining affordable iconic American brands. I can't imagine what they were thinking when they let it go to China.
    When Sears was purchased by K-Mart it was the beginning of the end. I wasn't a fan of SBD tools, but I do have to say that they've recognized that USA made Craftsman is important. I'm keeping my mind open and waiting to see the tools in person before I judge them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast