Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Microsoft and windows 10 again

I used XP until my programs no longer worked with it....about a year ago....and I make my living with computers......
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Another option to consider if you’re considering Linux is to remove your current hard drive and get a new one for the new operating system. That will preserve your old operating system and data so a rollback is as simple as swapping drives. New hard drives are pretty cheap. Don’t use an old hard drive with unknown history for anything you can’t afford to lose.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    There is a limit to the really old systems. Floppy disks are dying and no longer in production. I bought NOS Verbatem disks 2 years ago and could not get them to write and read.

I was trying to install Win XP on a modern hard drive which requires an floppy as the XP disk doesn't have the right disk drivers.

Microsoft has threatened to end support for Win7 a number of times but Does Not Have a Replacement. Business isn't buying Win 10 for good reasons. I suspect support will have to be extended for Win 7 until Microsoft comes up with a working business OS.

when it comes to upgrading tech, businesses are cheap, that is the reason they didn't suddenly all go out and buy the lastest OS.
    Your assumption that they Have to extend support is flawed. They do not have to. Just like Ford does not Have to keep making
    1970 truck parts. With no support, business will finally get around to upgrading when they have to. Most likely when the current computer they are using dies or gets infected or something catastophic.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    I’ve been following this. I’m interested in a linux machine. A software engineer at work said he loaded a version of linux onto a raspberry pi. Which version of linux is best for that?

There are dozens of Linux distro's that run on the Raspberry Pi.....Raspbian was designed for it......Ubuntu, Arch, CentOS, Kali......dozens more. As to which is best, that's the same as which truck is best, or which gun......just too many variables.

I've had nothing to do with a Raspberry Pi, but I think installing Linux onto one might be a bit of a heavy lift for anyone without Linux experience, not something I'd suggest to a newcomer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    when it comes to upgrading tech, businesses are cheap, that is the reason they didn't suddenly all go out and buy the lastest OS.
    Your assumption that they Have to extend support is flawed. They do not have to. Just like Ford does not Have to keep making
    1970 truck parts. With no support, business will finally get around to upgrading when they have to. Most likely when the current computer they are using dies or gets infected or something catastophic.
    Businesses, especially very large ones, can't afford the losses in productivity that can be caused by jumping on a bandwagon of "latest and greatest" caused by driver incompatibilities and software conflicts. I worked for a company (I'm now retired) that had thousands of servers and over 40,000 personal computers. The software developer team would start testing a new operating system as soon as the beta versions were made available but it was typically 1-1/2 to 2 years after the first production release before the software was distributed to the employees' computers. Users of some software packages had to hold off on moving to newer operating systems until their specialty software was modified to work with the new OS. Automated or semi-automated distribution of the new OS had to be implemented because there weren't enough local techs to update every computer manually. Every piece of software already in use (numbering in the hundreds) had to be tested with the new OS to assure compatibility. Changing to a new OS is a very expensive venture for large companies and done improperly can be even more expensive. The company for which I worked had an employee at Microsoft dedicated to them. Large companies can definitely influence software producers.

A very small business might update one computer at a time as you suggest when they die or get infected. Big business can't use that model and would just repair computers that "die" or become infected. We had a compatibility list that changed with each OS change, showing which computers would not be able to run the new OS. Compatibility typically extended to computers as much as 5-7 years old.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    I've had nothing to do with a Raspberry Pi, but I think installing Linux onto one might be a bit of a heavy lift for anyone without Linux experience, not something I'd suggest to a newcomer.
    Pretty easy to install Raspian on a Raspberry Pi. Not sure about the other distro's. Way easier than installing Linux Mint on a PC. Doing some testing on a Raspberry Pi right now for a customer and Raspian runs pretty good on a Raspberry Pi.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Grand Master
    Another vote for Linux Mint. Here's a link to their forum, and detailed instructions for downloading and installation:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/index.p...15bafd12fc6e85

I also suggest purchasing a small (128 GB) SSD to use for the new operating system. As was already said, that allows reverting back to the original drive and OS if desired. I think I only paid $30 for my first SSD. You can also set up for dual booting if desired.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I have a used laptop with Windows 10 that has an unknown password and won’t boot from USB or let me change settings on boot. Hate the stinking thing; it’s jacked up and I’ve been “forbidden” from installing Linux on it by my daughter who gifted it to me. I’d be happy with XP as that’s what all my software is for. Very stuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I work for a government agency that still uses COBOL programming for several of their accounting programs and mainframe systems. COBOL has been around since 1959 and has seen upgrades all the way to 2014.

That said, they are starting to shift legacy systems like COBOL and legacy x86 programs to the Military Secure Cloud, so it could be interesting in a few years.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I have a used laptop with Windows 10 that has an unknown password and won’t boot from USB or let me change settings on boot. Hate the stinking thing; it’s jacked up and I’ve been “forbidden” from installing Linux on it by my daughter who gifted it to me. I’d be happy with XP as that’s what all my software is for. Very stuck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you have access to another working computer, you can download and reinstall Win 10. Once Win 10 has been installed on a computer, Microsoft has a record of that and will allow you to do a fresh install.

Take a look here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...ws10startfresh
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    The never ending cycle from the "marketing corporation" Yes, Windows 7 is done with and 10 will follow in 2025. Chrome is no longer supported on a Windows 7 machine but MS Edge is. Go figure?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123