Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft and windows 10 again

Microsoft and windows 10 again

All day today there was a notice from Microsoft on my computer screen. In January they will stop supporting windows 7. And they have a list of which computer I should buy with 10 loaded on it.
    I had 10 on a couple computers and hated it. I confess my computers are dated but they still have life in them. And I can't afford to change computers now.
    Or is this some kind of scam?
    I have come to believe honey bees are more important to this world than I am.

Boolit Master

In the AARP magazine there was an article about how you need a new computer because if you don't have one it is like driving around in a 66 chevy. I kind of liked the 66 chevy my dad had.

My opinion is that you "need" all that computer power to support all the advertising that gets shoved at you. Bah!
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Vendor Sponsor

Perfect time to migrate to Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. It's very windows 7 similar in looks and feel, it offers everything windows offers except the headaches and it's free. Comes with a full office suite already built in. And it will happily run on your current hardware...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Tech Companies stop supporting anything after 3 years.
    That way you have to keep buying new hardware/software. They're built to start acting up after 3-5 years.
    Planned Obsolescence.

Same thing they've done for cars for over 40yrs.
    If you can't fix your Computer at home, ya gotta lug the tower into a service center.

Cars are going the same way. In 25--30yrs you won't be able to take your car to an Independent Garage. They won't be able to afford the Diagnostic Equipment.

Hey the OLD cars will still run as long as you can find parts.

And yeah, I'm still pissed my Mother sold my 1965 Mustang w/factory air conditioning, while I was overseas.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    I am a retired PC Tech. I uninstalled or turned off that awful "upgrade to Windows 10" annoyance that they used to try and get everyone switched. I am still using Windows 7. I personally believe that Windows 10 is the most intrusive, data gathering, privacy destroying piece of software out there. In my opinion it is far worse than Google or Facebook. Microsoft has the ability to know practically every nuance of every user out there. Maybe I will switch to Windows 10 eventually but not just because they stop supporting Windows 7
    With that said, If your machines run Windows 7 they are very likely powerful enough to run Windows 10 also. Most likely you could upgrade your current machines to Windows 10 and all would be well. (except you would have to go through the learning curve for a new operating system.)
    The Windows 10 operating system is quite similar to the "app" based operating systems that are used on phones. It is actually pretty easy to learn.
    I haven't done much with computers in a few years but I could probably still help you out with an upgrade to Windows 10. PM me if you would like some assistance.
    Last edited by Traffer; 05-03-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I hate windaze. I have a lot of XP software and my XP tower took a dump on me. Dell didn’t even send me the disk to reinstall it. I too prefer Linux. If I want to use my Bible software and games, I need to reinstall XP somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    If your machines run Windows 7 they are very likely powerful enough to run Windows 10 also. Most likely you could upgrade your current machines to Windows 10 and all would be well. (except you would have to go through the learning curve for a new operating system.)
    Herein lies the rub. M$ has been systematically "mothballing" classes of hardware by removing driver support for things like graphics chipsets and motherboard chipsets, they simply remove the support for the hardware architecture so Win10 FORCES you to buy newer hardware so it will run. It is akin to an unwritten unspoken conspiracy, it keeps the hardware makers busy so that M$ has new hardware to run windows on, one hand greases the other.

Basically as soon as shaper installs or tries to install win10, he will get a message saying things are not supported and the install will fail, or it may install with graphics at 800x600 and no option to change until he upgrades his video card... This scenario is very likely to be the end of either windows 10 on his hardware, or the end of his hardware so he can buy something else that will run windows 10.

If you want to buy into this, be my guest. Many of us have woke up and smelled the coffee and avoided windows 10, and even moreso, avoided windows completely.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    If I want to use my Bible software and games, I need to reinstall XP somehow.
    Have you tried installing WINE into Linux and running the install for your software in the wine windows software loader? A lot of windows programs and games runs in Linux these days courtesy of the wine windows emulator. It's pretty easy.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 05-03-2019 at 11:44 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    Planned Obsolescence.
    Right on the money.
    It’s a racket...burn it with fire !!

Boolit Master

you don't have to buy a machine here are the specs for window's 10
    Latest OS: Make sure you're running the latest version—either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

Find out which version you're running.

Need the latest version? Download Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS or 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display: 800 x 600
    Download windows 10 and have a 8 gig thumb drive ready or a dvd burner
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=56485
    download and run this and it will created a bootable windows 10 usb or dvd and you can install on your machine for free. You can buy a product key from ebay if you like but it will work either way.
    or you can buy a great system from https://www.blairtg.com/
    been using them for about 15 years and we buy a computer about once every 4 years or so for about $200 to $300 They come with a year warranty for $5 and customer service is in Kentucky as is the company. They are a Microsoft reseller, so you get a licensed computer with a coa. Any questions shoot me a pm and I'll try to help out.

Banned
    If you tell us the make and model of your computer along with some basic specs (type and speed of cpu, amount of ram, size of hard drive) it will be easy to tell you for sure if your machine will support Windows 10.

Boolit Master
    I took Doug Guy's advice several years ago
    and switched to LINUX.
    I can't do the installation myself, so
    I ask the folks at a small town computer
    shop to do it. At first they were reluctant, but
    now use LINUX themselves for some applications.
    It's great for giving new life to old hardware.

Your computer will die and your life will be ruined if you don't get a new computer with MS10 loaded - immediately!!!
    Naw, they are just going to stop fixing the errors in Win7. Your Win7 works on your computer until the motherboard or hard drive dies.
    Whatever!

Vendor Sponsor

Like DougGuy said ….Perfect time to migrate to Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition. Its real easy to learn FREE all the programs are FREE and most work quite well
    wine installed on Linux will allow many windows programs to run
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I was amazed at how stable Win XP became once MS stopped supporting it. The biggest problem all the Windows systems have is the automatic background programs continually 'updating'. Old time programs were self contained but the new system is to have a program linking to and changing subprograms all over the place. It makes it easier for bad programmers to write code but makes a slow and unstable product for users.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yea i still have one running win 98 one running xp. I refuse to go to win 10. My son gives me his old ones and they work just fine for me. Although he does rib me a bit about using fossils.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    I was amazed at how stable Win XP became once MS stopped supporting it.
    Hehe, years ago I looked up kernel32.dll errors, guess what was the cause of 97% of them? Other M$ products! I kid you not. There were hundreds of pages of hits on this one error, and dozens of the pages were ALL caused by Office and it's various components. You had to scroll and scroll and scroll to find kernel32.dll errors caused by other applications.

Now.. I used to do a robust business keeping windows machines stable and running, I would build an image from an installed version, complete with added applications, include the windows CD on the root of the drive, strip out all the hardware, uninstall EVERYTHING in device manager (which we lovingly called device mangler), then shut down and ghost this to an .iso file, and burn it to a bootable CD. All you had to do was stick the cd in the drive, turn the machine on, and sit back and watch it go hunting for new hardware and installing drivers, etc, we nicknamed the image JAWS because it came up snapping for drivers and resources. It didn't need windows installed, all it needed was a hard drive with an active primary partition on it, and it would find it and off to the races it went! It was almost funny to watch.

XP.. Some folks got the same ideas I had, and they would use a program to remove windows components from XP, then burn this as a new .iso file and post it on the newsgroups. You download it, burn it to CD, boot from it and install a stripped down race ready version of XP that had all the eye candy and bloatware ripped out of it. The whole .iso was only 184mb, and the installed footprint was 585mb on hard drive, and it RAN LIKE A RACE HORSE! Very stable, very fast. Basically all you had was a primer gray car with all the money under the hood. What could be better? They did a windows 7 version too that reacted the same way.

I had long hoped that M$ would have the sense to compartmentalize things and let the user login, choose which features they wanted, then M$ would figure the dependencies, include those in the build, then you pay for your .iso and download it, much like FreeBSD. No need for all the garbage and bloatware which sickens every version of windows ever released, and instead of letting you have a powerhouse computer with quad cores and lots of ram, they bog it down with evreything running at once, they could take the most powerful Intel processor and slug it down to the speed of a 486.

Boolit Master
    Hey now I had a 386 12mhz with 1mb hard drive with one 5.25 and 3.5" Floppy drives. Pre mouse days. Though was the days.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Yea i still have one running win 98 one running xp. I refuse to go to win 10. My son gives me his old ones and they work just fine for me. Although he does rib me a bit about using fossils.
    fossils? I have a windows 3.11/DOS 6.22 (AMD 100MHz processor with 16MB of memory and a 125MB hard drive) running offline in the garage that works 100% of the time, every time when I power it up.

I still prefer this system for several legacy programs and printers. They only thing I've had to replace over the years besides the original keyboard, wired mouse and the CMOS battery.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Hehe, years ago I looked up kernel32.dll errors, guess what was the cause of 97% of them? Other M$ products! I kid you not. There were hundreds of pages of hits on this one error, and dozens of the pages were ALL caused by Office and it's various components. You had to scroll and scroll and scroll to find kernel32.dll errors caused by other applications.

Now.. I used to do a robust business keeping windows machines stable and running, I would build an image from an installed version, complete with added applications, include the windows CD on the root of the drive, strip out all the hardware, uninstall EVERYTHING in device manager (which we lovingly called device mangler), then shut down and ghost this to an .iso file, and burn it to a bootable CD. All you had to do was stick the cd in the drive, turn the machine on, and sit back and watch it go hunting for new hardware and installing drivers, etc, we nicknamed the image JAWS because it came up snapping for drivers and resources. It didn't need windows installed, all it needed was a hard drive with an active primary partition on it, and it would find it and off to the races it went! It was almost funny to watch.

XP.. Some folks got the same ideas I had, and they would use a program to remove windows components from XP, then burn this as a new .iso file and post it on the newsgroups. You download it, burn it to CD, boot from it and install a stripped down race ready version of XP that had all the eye candy and bloatware ripped out of it. The whole .iso was only 184mb, and the installed footprint was 585mb on hard drive, and it RAN LIKE A RACE HORSE! Very stable, very fast. Basically all you had was a primer gray car with all the money under the hood. What could be better? They did a windows 7 version too that reacted the same way.

I had long hoped that M$ would have the sense to compartmentalize things and let the user login, choose which features they wanted, then M$ would figure the dependencies, include those in the build, then you pay for your .iso and download it, much like FreeBSD. No need for all the garbage and bloatware which sickens every version of windows ever released, and instead of letting you have a powerhouse computer with quad cores and lots of ram, they bog it down with evreything running at once, they could take the most powerful Intel processor and slug it down to the speed of a 486.
    Lol. I wish I had known you about 20 years ago. I learned everything by myself on the internet. No buddies to help. Your idea with the drivers is slick. I just made up a DVD with yadyada and set up machines with that. I spent most of my time teaching customers how to use computers. I was by far better with hardware. I got like 96% on the first part A+ test when I took it. Barely scraped a pass on the software part.
    Last edited by Traffer; 05-05-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Banned

Microsoft and windows 10 again

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    fossils? I have a windows 3.11/DOS 6.22 (AMD 100MHz processor with 16MB of memory and a 125MB hard drive) running offline in the garage that works 100% of the time, every time when I power it up.

I still prefer this system for several legacy programs and printers. They only thing I've had to replace over the years besides the original keyboard, wired mouse and the CMOS battery.

Bruce
    Believe it or not, DOS is still used today for the user interface on some radar systems. Any idea where to get working legacy IBM machines?
    Or a working Macintosh fx with legacy architecture?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast