Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Sausage & Peppers - A Favorite Italian Style Dinner

Vendor Sponsor

Sausage & Peppers - A Favorite Italian Style Dinner

Had an urge for sausage and peppers, so I whipped up some that was pretty good. Most restaurants serve it in fra diavolo or arrabiatta marinara so it's pretty spicy sometimes, but you can use a milder sauce to flavor it and spice it to your liking. There really is no limit to the creativity you can put into making this dish or how you choose to serve it. It's easy and fairly fast, and VERY tasty!

Ingredients:

3 large bell peppers
    1 large sweet onion
    6-7 cloves of garlic
    1tsp basil
    1tsp oregano
    1tsp rosemary
    1tsp thyme
    1-2tsp fennel seeds
    3 bay leaves
    2 jars pasta sauce (your choosing)
    1lb Italian sausage (your choosing)
    1-2tbsp tomato paste

Start with a 1lb pack of Italian sausage of your choice, hot, sweet, or mild, start these boiling in a 3 qt. pot about half full of water. Once they firm up, prick them with a fork a few times on both sides to let the fat cook out. Boil for about 30 mins.

While the sausages are boiling, coarse chop 3 large bell peppers and one large sweet onion, crush and chop 6-7 cloves of garlic. Saute these in a little olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium to low heat, the skillet I am using is a Lodge size 10 from wallyworld.. As they saute, stir often and add roughly a heaping teaspoon each of basil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, fennel seeds, and 3 bay leaves. You can double the fennel seeds if you like that licorice sweet flavor fennel lends to Italian cooking. Salt and Pepper to your liking.

Once peppers have reduced down some and softened, the onion is clear, and the peppers are fork tender, add in 2 large jars of pasta sauce of your choice. I used Puttanesca which is less tomato-ey tasting because it has kalmata olives, capers, and anchovies in the sauce. WONDERFUL stuff I might add!! You could use Arrabiatta which is spicy marinara, you can use Roasted Garlic, any flavor you like.

Once the sauce is cooking down and simmering, here is where to add tomato paste if you want a more tomato flavored sauce. I added a tbsp of Cento tomato paste from the squeeze tube (like toothpaste). Now drain the sausages and brown them a little in a cast iron skillet or griddle, then add them to the sauce.

Serve over spaghetti noodles or rice, this makes 5 large servings and freezes quite well.

Last edited by DougGuy; 05-03-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I travel pretty much each year, health permitting, to a gun show about eighty miles away -- primarily for a recipe like yours! They serve it ladled on a "hogie", "submarine", or whatever your local name may be for the long sandwich rolls. You have my mouth watering for them!!!
    geo

Boolit Master
    Sounds great! I wish I had all the ingredients to make it tonight. I'll have to hit the store tomorrow. GF

Vendor Sponsor

Exactly georgerkahn, you can't go wrong with a dish like this. You could pour it over some fresh baked cornbread and it would be awesome!

To be honest, by the time this was all put together and about ready, it smelled SO GOOD I barely took time to boil some spaghetti noodles, let alone be bothered with making a salad or some garlic bread! I was chompin' at the bit to dive right in so I did!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

AWESOME !
    Now you done went and flung a craving on me....!
    I'm thinking putting some of the peppers , onions and sausage between two pieces of Italian bread would make a heck of a Italian Sausage poorboy sandwich ...
    Mama Mia that's some yummy looking sauce !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I make pretty much the same thing minus the tomato sauce. Fried sausage with bell peppers, onion and hot peppers and occassionally zuccini or yellow squash slices. Veggees sauteed in butter, sausage cooked separately and added to vegges on the plate.

Your recipe as more eye appeal and probably tastes better than mine.

BB

Boolit Buddy

I grew up with this style of cooking. My mother and grandmother cooked sausage and peppers in their regular rotation of meals. They would vary the sauces. My Dutch wife continues the tradition. My favorite is over gnocci.

Boolit Master

Reminds me of Johnny Carino's Skilletini dish. When we had one the restaurants around here, always my order. Love that stuff. I make it occasionally around here, in smaller amounts as I'm the only one that likes it. I use fresh chopped tomatoes instead of sauce, only real difference. Just a matter of preference. Nothing wrong with your recipe.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Man, that looks good!
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Tried this last night. Wow! Served it over angel hair pasta. Froze the remainder for another night. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Many thanks ... copied the recipe and will give it a try!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Looks so good I’m giving it a try tonite!

Boolit Grand Master

I ended up making this last night and the kids loved it

Boolit Master

Toasted some sausage rolls, put a sausage & gobs of onions, peppers & sauce, everyone loved them! Thnx for the idea!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    I grew up with this style of cooking. My mother and grandmother cooked sausage and peppers in their regular rotation of meals. They would vary the sauces. My Dutch wife continues the tradition. My favorite is over gnocci.
    I hadn't thought of serving over gnocci but now that I read this, I will definitely try it!! Had this tonight, stumbled back onto this thread looking for the recipe for a friend....

Banned

Man…….that looks good! Going to try it today!

Boolit Master

Now I'm hungry. Looks delicious.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle