WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Do you seat gas checks below case neck, if needed?

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I will seat gas checks below the case neck if needed.

119 83.80%
  • I would use a different bullet option to keep the check at the base of the neck.

23 16.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you seat gas checks below the case neck? Is this safe?

Boolit Buddy

Do you seat gas checks below the case neck? Is this safe?

I have heard mixed things about where to seat gas checks. Looking for a consensus.

Edit - please vote in the poll
    Last edited by weeple2000; 04-29-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Poll

Boolit Master
    If they are crimped on nice and tight there should be no trouble with them. At least I haven't had any......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the input. I just started shooting cast rifle. So far I have been erring on the side of caution. Hoping there is a consensus on this one.

Super Moderator

While I think it's best to not seat them below the neck, with some short necked calibers it's not really feasible (think 300 Savage or 300 Win Mag). Just make sure they are crimped on well as mentioned, and you should be fine. I've not had any problems either, but I don't really like to have the lubed portion of the boolit below the neck.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 04-29-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Never had a problem with .300 Savage or .308 when doing this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Do you mean lubed portion of the bullet?

Super Moderator

Yes, that's what I meant...
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 04-29-2019 at 01:17 PM.

If your using Hornady gas checks or other crimp on checks, then you should not have any trouble provided the checks are seated well prior to sizing. I put the check on, then hold the bullet and tap the check with my hammer handle to seat it all the way. The check gets a nice firm crimp this way.

I haven't experimented with the old Lyman style checks yet but all I've read says you're not supposed to seat them below the case neck. I've also seen where folks glue those checks on with superglue or epoxy. I can't say how it works as I've not tried it yet. I have shot some bullets with the old checks though and didn't experience any problems. I didn't seat them below the case neck though.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some from sage outdoors. I seat them with a Lee push through sizer. I am going to take a pliers to them and see how easily the checks come off out of curiosity.

Boolit Master

I have been having a few 2 hole shots with the 22TCM, they only way to seat them is below the neck. I have tried Sages aluminum only at this point. I think that it may be necessary to go to check with a crimp to it for these to stay on 100 percent. The other issue may be that the aluminum are so thin that at .225 I am not getting a good bite on the base of the bullet. Am I concerned about it... no. Do I like it... no! I have not found any checks in empty cases either. I think it is perfecting materials and workmanship. I seated with a lee push thru, I would rather seat them with a tail first approach as that is more likely to bottom them out and get the crimp always on the biggest part of the shank.

Boolit Master
    In my 270 loads, the gas check stays in the neck. However, in my 223 loads with 75 grain cast boolits, the check sits below the neck in order to seat to magazine length. Hasn't affected anything so far.

Boolit Master

Do I seat bullets with the gas check below the case neck? Yes, occasionally.

Is it safe? I sure hope so.

Boolit Buddy
    I would have to seat the Lee 200 grain bore rider pretty far into the case in order to powder coat it. But with 30-06, or even 308, I am confident that I would have enough room. Using 2400 at least.

I will seat below the neck but I sure don't like it. Not because of the gas check but the lube. Always afraid the cartridges will get warm and melt the lube in the powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have a goodly supply of the old Lyman brass looking slip fit gas checks. I watch the depth on those. I have Hornady crimp on gas checks in .30 cal and .375 but .30-40 Krag. .30-06 and .375 H&H all have long enough necks that that it's not a problem.

Boolit Master

I'm seating Gator checks slightly below the neck in 358 Win. No apparent issues.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Feel free to keep them coming. Looks like we have a consensus so far and it wasn't what I expected.

Boolit Master
    I voted to use a different bullet, not because it's unsafe or likely to be an issue. Just because I feel it could be a variable that can be avoided. I have done it before with no issues, just prefer not to. There may be a possiability to upset the base before the bullet's base is within the neck, then swage it back down to fit. This leading to pressure variations,leading to velocity variations and bullet variations. Remote possiability but, easily avoided, at least for my uses.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have a couple boolits that seat below the neck. It is best to seat the boolit with the gc right at the end of the neck, though.
    I've got a .308 round that sits the base about 0.10" inside the neck (about the size of the GC) and I get good accuracy with that round. I also load .357 sig and I know the gc is beyond the neck in that one.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Like several others, I've seated the GC below the neck but am not really comfortable with it.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast