Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt action for ****

Boolit Buddy

Bolt action for ****

while I own other rifles, I was considering picking up a basic 308 bolt gun as a stash rifle. it needs to be rugged, reliable and accurate.

Any thoughts of what is currently available?

Remington 700s are pretty popular for various reasons.

Or a Savage. Their price is good. They won't win too many beauty contests,
    but the hole in the pipe is very accurate, and they're as reliable as anything else.

If you're options/preferances aren't limited to a .308 or bolt action-
    I gently used lever action .30-30 has almost the horsepower of a .308.
    They're easy to find, cost effective, certainly fit the bill for rugged & reliable, and their accuracy ain't bad.

Another one ya don't hear much about that could be a good choice is a lever action in .44Mag. or .45 Colt.
    They're sort of like a short range .45-70, and not too expensive to feed.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 04-23-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Tikka T3 is good enough for the Canadian Rangers

Attachment 240306Attachment 240307Attachment 240308
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    id have a hard time picking something besides savage for cheap and accurate

I don't like the feel of the 700s I prefer the m70s. At any rate I was thinking of something along the lines of getting a Ruger scout awhile back because of the shorter length seems pretty rugged too

Boolit Buddy
    Savage offers a scout rifle that might suit your needs .

Boolit Grand Master
    Thompson Center Compass

Cheap....and it will shoot very well.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Well...i'd say i'm good on leverguns..as ive picked up a few the last few years, mostly 30-30, but a few other calibers too.
    But I'd be lying..if i see a 30-30 thats at a decent price i will snag it. The 30-30 is a great round.

The 308 is my favorite rifle round, as I have a couple of 308's, and load for them. They are FAL rifles, so since I already load for them I though it would be a good idea to have 1-2 bolts in 308 in various alternate sites, like I do with other guns.

The savage in 308 or 3006 was on my mind, because I have heard good things, and a relative has one and it seems like a great rifle for the price.
    I'll look into the Compass as well. If I can find a good used Remington OR Winchester..OR a mosberg in the right caliber at the right price, i'll probably snap it up.

sadly, we are approaching a time on history that ANY solid rifle, with squared away logistics is going to be a valuable asset.

Banned
    TC Compass best choice. Wait for next rebate and you can buy it for around $275.00.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    while I own other rifles, I was considering picking up a basic 308 bolt gun as a stash rifle. it needs to be rugged, reliable and accurate.

Any thoughts of what is currently available?
    I asked a similar question last Fall. Here are the results, if you want to take the time to look:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...308-Win-Please

While I have not yet found the .308 I want, I am always looking. Seems that since I want iron sights, I will have to likely go with a used/older one. Scoped ones, or ones that are for scope only, seem to be all over, new & used.

{ I may even try to find a "barrel band" front sight for one of the ones set up for a scope, & then see what I can do for a rear sight too, but I am looking for the whole iron sight package at the moment...}

Anyway, G'Luck! in your search!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    +1 for savage.

Several people around here have bought the Ruger American Rifles in various calibers. They do a little accurizing on them, like bedding the actions, and are very happy with the accuracy and feel of the rifles. Most people here put low end Leupold or Simmons or Bushnell scope on them and are very pleased with the outcome, especially for the price. They use them mainly for truck guns so their good guns don't get beat up.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    For a **** rifle do not go cheap on the scope. Missing a deer is frustrating but will not get you killed. BTW, missed a deer with a Nikon scope that I had dropped...using Vortex scopes now. The scope on my hunting rifle is twice the price of the rifle....
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

looking harder at the savage line, and liking what I am hearing.

Boolit Master
    Don't let me be the reason you don't buy whatever you want because it's fun.....

That said - honestly, what is the **** scenario you are planning for? Most of the stuff I have read about people getting stuck in wars was that guns weren't as useful as a stuff like a case of iodine tablets, a jug of betadine, a big case of gauze, tape, and medical stuff, a factory sealed case of disposable lighters, or home distillation equipment.

That said.....

If I am going to hide a rifle + a small stash of ammo up somewhere.... Cheap is near the top of my list.... I know they aren't cheap anymore - but when they were - my choice would have been a Russian Mosin Nagant and a spam can of ammo. Fill the bore and action with axle grease, pack it in a waterproof box, and bury it somewhere you will remember...

Boolit Buddy

You are right, in my neck of the woods, tire chains on a plow truck and a good generator are better in they types of "emergencies" we get.

But, contingencies are good to have in place. Don't like to have all my eggs in one basket.

Boolit Buddy
    Look at the Mossberg MVP. i know this is an OLD post, but i have a mossberg MVP Patriot and it takes M1A mags and Ar-10 mags, and it has ironsighs, so the best of everything and it shoots 1 MOA

Boolit Master
    rugged reliable and accurate? I'll just take my Mauser
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    rugged reliable and accurate? I'll just take my Mauser
    This!

I don't understand the idea that your **** rifle needs to be cheap. I want the best, most solid, long term reliable rig I can get my hands on. Injection molded plastic and PM parts can make an inexpensive rifle that may shoot very well, but I don't see them holding up to any extended hard use in rough conditions. I have Mausers that are approaching or are over the century mark and will still be working long after many of these modern marvels of cheapness are long gone.

Finding a 98 in 308 or having one built will give you something worth having. There are plenty of good Czech and Yugo actions out there to build one on.

Have a couple Mauser carbines, they are my favorites - handy, tough and powerful.

Boolit Master
    Savage for cheap and accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast