Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt action for ****

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Thompson Center Compass

Cheap....and it will shoot very well.
    Second the Compass. Tough as nails, accurate, and cheap. Doesn’t get much better than that.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Personally I would want something made of stainless steel and metallurgy/springs that are not 100 plus years old with readily available parts.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'd go for the Ruger Ranch. I have one in 7.62x39 and one in .308 would be use full too

jmho surplus FR8 if you can find one at a reasonable price - plus the bayonet is a useful versatile accessory -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy

Quote: stash rifle. it needs to be rugged, reliable and accurate.
    A stash rifle to me says iron sights, and having some basic spare parts.
    Put in a cache with a care package of accessories (spare parts, cleaning gear, SLING) and ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If I were to buy a bolt gun now, it would be a Sako. This is the one I’m thinking of, but I’ve just ordered a muzzle loader from Pedersoli, so I’ll have to wait a bit.

https://www.sako.fi/rifles/sako-85/85-bavarian-carbine

What exactly a stash rifle and what is it used for? I own a Winchester model 70 carbine in 308, is that a stash rifle? - would it be used for something other than hunting? confusing thread...

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    What exactly a stash rifle and what is it used for? I own a Winchester model 70 carbine in 308, is that a stash rifle? - would it be used for something other than hunting? confusing thread...
    I say it depends upon each individuals' definition of "stash" and what one is prepping for.

For me, I don't "cache" any firearms. Hence, my 'stash' includes firearms that get 'regular' use and must be dependable in good and bad times.

So my choice for this situation is my Ruger GSR in .308. Definitely not "cheap" but definitely dependable, durable and reliable and is my favorite deer hunting rifle and will be the first one I grab in many SHTF situations.

Now if I were to pick a .308 to actually cache, esp underground, "cheap" would come into play in case of loss whether found by somebody else or damaged due to environmental factors. In this case, I too would look at an open sighted surplus rifle or Savage. I wouldn't consider a scope at all for this situation.

YMWV, good luck!

Boolit Master
    My Ruger American Predator chambered in .308 topped with a Vortex Crossfire 2 will shoot 1” at 200 yards with Federal Fusion 180gr ammo. My father in law with with me when I shot that group, he was highly impressed that a $400 gun with a $150 scope could do that well out of the box with factory ammo.

I need to get that guy out and start dialing in cast boolit loads with it.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    Any thoughts of what is currently available?
    I would worry less about "what is available" and more about a long term strategy. Tikka and anything else similar may be the boutique craze of the day, but any local gunsmith will have Remington 700 ejectors, extractors or similar parts for Ruger or Winchester rifles. Think about common failure items and finding those in a SHTF scenario. The same reason you want to go with .308 (commonly produced and widely available) instead of a fad-craze caliber that you won't find ammo for when the shuttered shops are filled with zombies.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Buddy
    Rugged and reliable implies a stainless synthetic rifle purpose built for rough use. Looking at what is available newly manufactured, the Tikka T3x looks like a good choice. On the used market I would look for an Interarms Mark X, which was built on a stout commercial Mauser action. For the latter, I would budget enough to have the metal Cerakoted. Replace the wood stock with a McMillan or have the original full length epoxy bedded. The wood stock can be stripped then refinished with low viscosity epoxy topped coated with spar varnish. The stock refinish is an easy do it yourself job. I have a Mark X with the wood stock set up this way that has done yeoman’s service for many years. Neither option will be cheap, but I gave up on cheap equipment for rough use long ago. I was poor when I bought the Mark X and just ate cheap until I could pay for it.

Boolit Master
    IMO an honest older used rifle (after a thorough checkup) is more reliable than any new one, because it's been broken in & hasn't failed so far; I have no idea /what/ might break on any new-manufacture rifle these days.

Boolit Master
    Whatever you already own. If your gun isn't reliable enough for hunting then sort it out.

If you want to buy stuff that has proven reliable - look at Enfields, Mausers, and Mosin Nagants, The UK, Germany, and The Soviet Union all jettisoned their jam prone automatics early in WWII and went back to their proven bolt action war horses. Sure, 80 years later, their automatics are more or less reliable, but those aren't available on the surplus markets.

For me... I'm good. I'll hoard matches, alcohol, and coleman stove gas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12