WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Fixed '73 Uberti

Boolit Master

Fixed '73 Uberti

The title isn't quite right. It wasn't broken. I just couldn't get it back together. The truth I got it put back together, Finally.

I had to take it apart to remove a wrong caliber cartridge.

Never shove a cartridge into a levergun magazine in the semi-darkness.

Got the rifle apart and the wrong cartridge removed.
    But reassembly did not go right. The right sideplate ( loading gate side) would not seat . Just couldn't get it in. Couldn't get the screw through from the other side to pull it down tight. Even filed and stoned the inside of the sideplate inner edge. Just wouldn't seat.

Went to you-tube, watched 5 different video's, no help.

My Cowboy Gunsmith passed on 10yrs ago. About a year before I stopped Cowboy Shooting. He was the last one that had it apart. Haven't put a 100rds through it since. I had apart at least a dozen times in the 20 years before then. Bob replaced the broken right hand lever spring.

My Buddy came by to go to lunch today, we looked over the rifle.

I had tightened the leaf springs all the way down before setting the lever, so the spring stuck out and I didn't see it. He did. So I loosened the spring screws, shifted them BOTH into place, placed the "knuckles" and pins into place and slid and seated the sideplates. It went back together slick as you could want. Tightened the screw springs and I was back in business.

Worked smooth and slick as ever.

Just took another set of eyes to see the problem.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    The title isn't quite right. It wasn't broken. I just couldn't get it back together. The truth I got it put back together, Finally.

I had to take it apart to remove a wrong caliber cartridge.

Never shove a cartridge into a levergun magazine in the semi-darkness.

Got the rifle apart and the wrong cartridge removed.
    But reassembly did not go right. The right sideplate ( loading gate side) would not seat . Just couldn't get it in. Couldn't get the screw through from the other side to pull it down tight. Even filed and stoned the inside of the sideplate inner edge. Just wouldn't seat.

Went to you-tube, watched 5 different video's, no help.

My Cowboy Gunsmith passed on 10yrs ago. About a year before I stopped Cowboy Shooting. He was the last one that had it apart. Haven't put a 100rds through it since. I had apart at least a dozen times in the 20 years before then. Bob replaced the broken right hand lever spring.

My Buddy came by to go to lunch today, we looked over the rifle.

I had tightened the leaf springs all the way down before setting the lever, so the spring stuck out and I didn't see it. He did. So I loosened the spring screws, shifted them BOTH into place, placed the "knuckles" and pins into place and slid and seated the sideplates. It went back together slick as you could want. Tightened the screw springs and I was back in business.

Worked smooth and slick as ever.

Just took another set of eyes to see the problem.
    Gotta ask - what cartridge did you unintentionally load?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes we lose the forest through the trees and have to step away for it to. Glad you were able to her back together.

Boolit Master

I knew someone would ask that. .45 Colt into a .44WCF.

I have a 1866 Carbine in.45 Colt and I have 1873 Carbine in .44WCF.
    Both have heavy Matching buttstock covers. Both were covered in Matching Dust Covers that reach past the Levers.
    I was trying out a new bullet in .45Colt. Loaded a dummy round and stepped over to the safe to try it out in the '66 Carbine. Only light on in the Garage that night was over the bench. The safe was on the other side of the Garage, it's light was burned out.
    I could see well enough to pick out the right rifle. Grabbed it, turned it over and slide the Dust cover down far enough to slide a round into the mag tube. Back was to what light there was.
    Slid down the Dust cover and started to cycle the action.
    When the lever was fully forward, I realized my mistake.

The 1873 Carbine was "supposed" to be in the other safe.

Lesson learned.

TURN ON THE BLASTED LIGHT OVER THE SAFE.
    Last edited by Walks; 04-19-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Auto-correct
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Oddly enough there was an army scout who was awarded the congressional medal of honor for composure under fire because during a fight with indians he had put a round from his colt saa into his winchester 73 carbine. He got the medal because while the fight was going on he used his knife to disassemble the carbine, remove the offending round, reassemble the rifle and got back in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Oddly enough there was an army scout who was awarded the congressional medal of honor for composure under fire because during a fight with indians he had put a round from his colt saa into his winchester 73 carbine. He got the medal because while the fight was going on he used his knife to disassemble the carbine, remove the offending round, reassemble the rifle and got back in the fight.
    I remember that can't remember where I read it maybe g&a

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I knew someone would ask that. .45 Colt into a .44WCF.

I have a 1866 Carbine in.45 Colt and I have 1873 Carbine in .44WCF.
    Both have heavy Matching buttstock covers. Both were covered in Matching Dust Covers that reach past the Levers.
    I was trying out a new bullet in .45Colt. Loaded a dummy round and stepped over to the safe to try it out in the '66 Carbine. Only light on in the Garage that night was over the bench. The safe was on the other side of the Garage, it's light was burned out.
    I could see well enough to pick out the right rifle. Grabbed it, turned it over and slide the Dust cover down far enough to slide a round into the mag tube. Back was to what light there was.
    Slid down the Dust cover and started to cycle the action.
    When the lever was fully forward, I realized my mistake.

The 1873 Carbine was "supposed" to be in the other safe.

Lesson learned.

TURN ON THE BLASTED LIGHT OVER THE SAFE.
    I can feel your pain! I had a friend who we were camping with ram a 44-40 into a 38-40 1892. And I do mean RAM. Stuck the neck of the case and bullet into the chamber far enough that the barrel had to be removed and the bullet drilled before enough pressure could be relieved to extract the case. He cusses my old junk guns and blames me for having mismatched ammunition / barrel markings (barrel read 38WCF....).

I found an odd looking piece of brass on the ground at a CAS match that my friends competed in. It turned out to be a .44 WCF that had been fired in a .45 Colt. My buddy said " yeah, that happens sometimes." Okay.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    This reminds me of something that I was helped out with by the members of this forum. This old trapdoor hung on the cabin wall since my youth. A friend's son had eyeballed it several times, and apparently did some research. I found this piece of brass by the back porch. This is what a 45-70 looks like when fired from a 50-70 Springfield Trapdoor. I finally asked him, he said there was a funny "ffffwwwuunnnkkk" sound, the bullet hit the stump he was aiming for 25 feet away, and he sheepishly hung it back on the wall. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1164.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	240167