Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel Scrap Ideas

[QUOTE=Texas by God;4628091]Stubbed inside a single shot shotgun and chambered appropriately- the possibilities are many.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

By your screen name I would think you like black powder guns. Now assuming this is a piece of barrel from a 43 Mauser and you had access to a metal lathe, I think you could make a chamber adapter to shoot a .440 round ball with a small charge of black powder using a empty primed 45 ACP case to fire it. This would be in a 12, 16, or 20 ga. Break action shotgun. Even if the OD of the section of barrel is smaller than the shotgun bore a piece of other metal or plastic can be pressed on or epoxied on and turned to the dimensions needed to center it in the chamber and bore.

I know this sounds crazy but I have made just such of a chamber adapter and it worked fine.
    Just a idea to make it useful.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I use shotgun cut offs for ferrules on file handles.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

Having many chunks of rifle barrel I make all kinds of things. Old black powder barrels are a bit softer than modern barrels and a short barreled pistol would probably be a good idea. Modern 4140 steel barrels are good for making cutting tools like taps and router bits, they can be made very hard.

Boolit Master
    Hopkins and Allen underhammer pistol
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rhammer-pistol

https://www.icollector.com/Blackpowd...-The_i13669023

If you look around you might be able to find some parts to make your barrel stub into one, or make the parts yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Build a model artillary piece say, Parrott or Ordnance rifle....

Boolit Master
    Mount them sticking from the wall over your doorbell

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    If there is enough meat on the barrel, you could use it to make a sizing die for the rifle in question.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master
    I use those old barrels all the time, often to make thread protectors, already bored out.

Currently a No 4 Enfield stub is used as a magazine loader for a Ruger MKII .22.

I make knives so some shotgun tubes will likely go that direction, too.

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I see that the Canadians favor Micro-Groove barrels
    Yup ... and Canadian Artillery are tough too ... ours are hand-held and shoulder fired!

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master

That cut off end of the barrel used to be drilled for 2 or 3 pins then cut off and made into a false muzzle for starting bullets in top end target muzzle loaders

Boolit Buddy

I sent some trapdoor barrel cut offs to Rusty to make tomahawk pipes, dont know how they came out, but sounded kinda neat. 1870's steel for a new smokin hatchet. Still have a wad of them under the lathe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Modern 4140 steel barrels are good for making cutting tools like taps and router bits, they can be made very hard.

They sure can be used to make tools, I used a piece of a Green Mountain octagon barrel to make a stock/forearm inletting tool. After shaping "teeth" in it on the lathe and heat treating to harden it then attaching a handle through the hole that had been the bore it worked like a charm for those difficult to inlet octagon barrel forearms. The 4140 was reasonably soft as it came from the barrel so it machined quite easily into shape and after heat treating then drawing/tempering it a bit the knife edges of the tool sharpened and honed to a very keen cutting edge and have held those sharp edges quite nicely.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

I have turned 12g shells from aircraft Alumilum and used cut offs to make adapters to fire 32s with 30cal barrel cut offs.

Boolit Buddy
    I reinforced a fire place grate that had slumped in the middle. Barrels were made to add extra support in the widest dimension and for legs to support the middle. The grate slumps no more; and its a good conversation piece.

Go for the shotgun adapter. You didn't mention the caliber but there's a lot of different rimmed pistol cartridges out there. A small notch under the rim will allow you to lift the case from the adapter while still in the shotgun.
    Cap'n Morgan

Build yourself a desk top mini cannon I've built some out of steel bushings and would fire a ball bearing thru the wall with just a 22 mag case of bp
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both