Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surplus Powder Prices

Boolit Master
    My last combined order at the club came to three 6 jug cases from PVI.
    That UPS driver was rolling his eyeballs and asked: "is that what I think it is?" "What's that?" "Gun powder" "yep", what you gonna blow up with all that?" "Not gonna blow anything up with it" "bunch of us shooters at the range put a group buy together and I ordered it all, we're gonna be shooting a lot over the next year or two" "ok, man that's a big relief to hear, have fun"

With it stacked in the livingroom that night I got to thinking that was quite a pile of powder so started making the phone calls for delivery the next morning. Sure glad I did as about 6pm the next evening CBI agent came to the door to ask a few questions. I'd never had that happen before, but, never ordered that much at once before either. By then I only had three jugs at the place.
    Something to keep in mind if you place an overly large order. Get rid of it quick as it might draw flies or attention and some wive's might get dumb ideas about the size of the hole it would make in the ground.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
    My last combined order at the club came to three 6 jug cases from PVI.
    That UPS driver was rolling his eyeballs and asked: "is that what I think it is?" "What's that?" "Gun powder" "yep", what you gonna blow up with all that?" "Not gonna blow anything up with it" "bunch of us shooters at the range put a group buy together and I ordered it all, we're gonna be shooting a lot over the next year or two" "ok, man that's a big relief to hear, have fun"

With it stacked in the livingroom that night I got to thinking that was quite a pile of powder so started making the phone calls for delivery the next morning. Sure glad I did as about 6pm the next evening CBI agent came to the door to ask a few questions. I'd never had that happen before, but, never ordered that much at once before either. By then I only had three jugs at the place.
    Something to keep in mind if you place an overly large order. Get rid of it quick as it might draw flies or attention and some wive's might get dumb ideas about the size of the hole it would make in the ground.
    You're the second person I've heard this from in less than a month. Other person ordered a lot of ammo for a years worth of competitive shooting. ATF showed up, asking questions.

Hmm. Just how free a society do we live in?

Moderator Emeritus

Ah a new form of gun control - transit police. You know the folks who sold you the powder didnt call CBI or ATF, so who do you think did? Sounds like UPS may have a new policy regarding customer privacy or Lack thereof.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Master
    ask me why I dislike UPS...

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sharpshooter View Post
    ask me why I dislike UPS...

Rich
    Why do you dislike UPS?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Is it just me seeing this or has everybody forgotten that AA-2230 is originally designed for the M-16 round the .223. Robert
    Yep, it's pretty good in the 308 for lighter j bullet (150 and less) and similiar cartridges too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
    Felix would know a heck of a lot more about it, including any safety concerns, but in my experience, ball powder does not work well at all in loads of less than 90% of maximum. Extruded powder can be loaded down to a much smaller percentage. That's why in a lot of cases ball powders do not do well with cast bullets. One exception is the .30-30.
    I've found this true as well, with one exception. I have never had any luck with 4064, or any of the Alliant Reloder powders until I started to approach maximum, then exceptional accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
    With it stacked in the livingroom that night I got to thinking that was quite a pile of powder so started making the phone calls for delivery the next morning. Sure glad I did as about 6pm the next evening CBI agent came to the door to ask a few questions. I'd never had that happen before, but, never ordered that much at once before either.
    What is CBI and did he have a warrant?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Banned

Cast Boolit Investigator.

Question ???

Colorado Bureau of Investigation
    Includes missing persons and sex offender information, Colorado's most wanted, and other CBI news.
    cbi.state.co.us
    Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Boolit Master
    This type of scenerio is exactly why I never wanted to order powder or primers through the mail, however the last couple of times I bought primers at Scheels and Cabela's they acted like they were doing me a favor, so I ordered some by mail. I did not get that much because I could not afford it, however I would not get large quantities in the future for exactly this reason. It pays to be cautious I guess.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Mold
    I’m Looking for IMR 4895 To reload 30 cal 150 grain FMJ/BT (308 win) rounds. Everything is out of stock at every vendor and store near me right now which from what I’ve heard it’s the same everywhere else right now and since I don’t think you can buy powder through the mail atleast I haven’t been able to find any that delivers or ships it through the mail. I have IMR 4198 to reload .223-5.56 rounds for my AR-15 I also have Bullseye to reload my 45acp. I’m not sure if the IMR4198 matches up to these rounds there were not casted at home there Hornady #3037 .308 so as of right now I don’t have anyway to reload my 308 win. Anyone with tips or know where to get any IMR4895 plz let me know thanks

Boolit Mold
    Yeah it’s scary when buying from unknown sources. How it was stored, made and weather conditions can affect a lot in powder. None of us want to have or be part of a Scott from
    Kentucky ballistic situation. But That’s what can happen when a round or powder is stored for long periods of time or not stored correctly etc. I was reading pat’s reloading website he sells a surplus of something similar to BL-C(2) powder. Never used it and don’t know anyone who has either. So I don’t want to say
    Either way.

Boolit Master

About the only surplus I know of that might fit your needs in .308 is in the burn range of 4831, IMR7383. GI Brass has it for a about $10 a pound plus shipping, etc.

I haven't seen any surplus 4895 in years.

Boolit Master

This is a 13 year old thread.

Why not just start a new thread????
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123