MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Is it Babbit

Boolit Master

Is it Babbit

A mate turned up yesterday with 75lb of wheel weight ingots and some 50lb of unknown material that originally come from the railways, it is very hard and sounds like Lino when two pieces are hit together. I will try and melt some later today and see if it melts at low temp. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Do an acid test on a piece see if it bubbles if so it has zinc in it, prob doesn't but check it. The most likely answer is babbitt for bearings. I don't know any other use for lead in the rail road except maybe old wire splices and that would be pretty soft.

Boolit Master
    The old rail axles used Babbitt. If that's what it is you hit the jack pot. I have about 50 pounds of it left and it is great stuff for sweetening alloy. About 4-6 years ago there were some posts on here about the guys using it. Its almost impossible to find these days.

Boolit Master
    Sawmill supply businesses have it.
    I used to get a box for free from the local dealer because I ordered so much of it. I also got a few 60 pound ingots of pure lead. It was good to be the guy who made the orders !
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the comments guys, I checked for a reaction with acid and got none, I decided to melt it down into ingots and it was the easiest and cleanest alloy I have ever worked with. I had some range scrap that I had been casting light 38 loads with and put a little piece of the babbit in a Lee 20lb pot with the range scrap and boy did it improve casting speed no end, yes I am on a winner here. Regards Stephen

My uncle who cast his own for years gave me his casting gear. With it was a lot of hardener that was babbit material. He said that a friend of his made the babbit bearings for the railroad. Not sure what the make up is but it makes for hard cast with pure lead. You will get alot of good hard cast from it.

Boolit Buddy
    Is there a way to test and see if it's babbit? Years ago, I posted about 5 joined round ingots I have, that weigh a total of about 25 lbs. Each ingot is marked on top with the words Overland Motor Co. embossed on on it. Never did identify the metal as lead or babitt. Overland is the original Willis Jeep motor company I think.
    Ask an American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did for his lands and his way of life. Then, think about your children's and grandchildren's future.

Boolit Master
    Usually the round ones are lead and the long ingots are Babbitt. Don't quote me on that though.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
    Is there a way to test and see if it's babbit? Years ago, I posted about 5 joined round ingots I have, that weigh a total of about 25 lbs. Each ingot is marked on top with the words Overland Motor Co. embossed on on it. Never did identify the metal as lead or babitt. Overland is the original Willis Jeep motor company I think.
    A forum member "BNE" is a good contact to test unknown alloys to determine what they are made of. Good reliable, and speedy turn around time to get a PM reply as to what you have mailed to him. Best to send PM for his instructions for sample prep, and his fee is only a pound of lead per sample tested. If you have a friend in the scrap metal business, some of them will also have a similar test tool, but I have not had that luck locally. Dusty

Boolit Master
    Sadly before I joined this group I had some 2 hundred lb of babbit given to me to make fishing sinkers and gave nearly all of it away, it was not till I was educated here that I found the error of my ways and the lead Gods gave me another chance. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    Hey, Babbitt!

Who's on first?
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Hey, Babbitt!
    Got it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)