WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: red dot but not.

red dot but not.

I'd like a cross between a red dot and a scope. Something the same size as red dot but with cross hairs and zero magnification and does not take batteries. Does anyone make anything like this?
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

Prism sights. They have reticles etched in the prism, and the light up when you want. But the reticle is always there and visible. They cost enough though. I just picked up a vortex spitfire and it seams good so far, only had it a week though.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Grand Master

Not cheap but both Trijicon and Meopta offer battery-free illuminated reticles.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

thank you both i will look into it and hope they are what i am after.

Banned

I like the burris and vortex prism sights but wish they would do one with standard duplex reticle with a lit dot in the middle. That little circle dot reticle isn't that great for precision shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    It might be larger than you want but have you looked at a compact 1-4x variable power scope?
    quando omni flunkus moritati

ill have a look at those as well

Banned

Problem with them is find a scope that cost under 400 bucks that has a reticle that's lit bright enough to see in the sunlight so you can use it fast like a red dot. If you find one let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Problem with them is find a scope that cost under 400 bucks that has a reticle that's lit bright enough to see in the sunlight so you can use it fast like a red dot. If you find one let me know.
    you are right the price of some are way to high for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought OP was looking for something with cross hairs with out a bright dot?
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    I thought OP was looking for something with cross hairs with out a bright dot?
    yes i am but i dont mind looking at stuff iv never seen befor.

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    It might be larger than you want but have you looked at a compact 1-4x variable power scope?
    i have looked at them but still not quite what im looking for.

Banned

closest thing to what the original post was about that I can come up with is a 1x3 weaver or a 1x4 leupold. Not much any smaller in a scope that isn't from china and cost 60 dollars. I bought one of the pig plex 1x4 leupolds and have it on my big bore 356 and I like it. Its got a reticle that works ok for precision work and the diamond in the middle gets you on target fast for quick shots. Make that scope with a illuminated reticle that is bright enough for daylight and id be writing a check for a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Make that scope with a illuminated reticle that is bright enough for daylight and id be writing a check for a couple of them.
    Lloyd,
    Leopold makes the VX-R Hog that is 1.25-4 that has the Pig plex reticle with the illuminated firedot.
    Were you looking for the whole reticle to be illuminated?
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned

Just the dot lit is fine. Actually id prefer it that way. thing is will it be bright enough for use in the sun and even so were looking at a 500 dollar scope not a 200 dollar one. Ive got the 1x4 vx1 hog hunter. I like it but there no illumination. Ive got a 1x4 trijicon acupoint. Its ideal. It has tritium and fiber optic illumination but again they don't give those away and being retired 200 is more my price range and maybe 300 if something really caught my eye. Like I said everything in that range seems to be a compromise. Closest thing ive come to 200 dollar scope that will do double duty for hunting and self defense is the burris prism. But a 100 yards is about it for those because the dot even when turned off blocks a 3 inch square at a 100 yards. I want something like that leupold you showed (if the dot is bright enough) for 2-300 bucks. I would have to think theres a market for something like that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    I'd like a cross between a red dot and a scope. Something the same size as red dot but with cross hairs and zero magnification and does not take batteries. Does anyone make anything like this?
    The thing with red dots is,we don't look through them. A red dot size, unilluminated crosshair sight would be very hard to use.

I used to have one of the first Bushnell Holosights when they came out 2000 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    The thing with red dots is,we don't look through them. A red dot size, unilluminated crosshair sight would be very hard to use.

I used to have one of the first Bushnell Holosights when they came out 2000 or so.
    i think you are right and have got me to thinking. thank you