Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The "newer" Single Shot 45-70's

Boolit Master
    I've owned seven Pedersoli 45-70's to date. They do not advise using them at Ruger #1 pressures. I listen to the manufacturer on this issue. Internet advice is free, and wildly diverse. This is the worst place in the world to get advice on medical, legal, safety issues. Before going and loading your Pedersoli to those levels, do a sanity check and see what the manufacturer recommends regarding safe pressure levels in any particular gun. If you're lucky you still have ten fingers and two eyes....try to keep all of them.

Boolit Master
    Ruger no 1 loads in anything less than 10lbs are a killer at both ends. I have 2 Miruko Browning 1885 and a Shloh Rifle Co 1874 Sharps and have fired many a heavy load thru them with no problems. The Sharps weighs 13 lbs so recoil even with stout loads is quite comfortable. If my math is right heavy 45/70 loads are in the 375 H&H recoil levels

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I've owned seven Pedersoli 45-70's to date. They do not advise using them at Ruger #1 pressures. I listen to the manufacturer on this issue. Internet advice is free, and wildly diverse. This is the worst place in the world to get advice on medical, legal, safety issues. Before going and loading your Pedersoli to those levels, do a sanity check and see what the manufacturer recommends regarding safe pressure levels in any particular gun. If you're lucky you still have ten fingers and two eyes....try to keep all of them.
    i've also owned and used pedersoli rollers and sharps, 7 sharps and 5 rollers. maybe things have changed with pedersoli guns, maybe not, but 7 years or so ago when i was foolish enuf to load with smokeless, i called pedersoli and was told by one of their "techs" that their sharps can handle ruger #1 loads (i think he also included rollers, not sure). ymmv, as always - particularly on the internet. good thing all i load for mine is real gunpowder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i've also owned and used pedersoli rollers and sharps, 7 sharps and 5 rollers. maybe things have changed with pedersoli guns, maybe not, but 7 years or so ago when i was foolish enuf to load with smokeless, i called pedersoli and was told by one of their "techs" that their sharps can handle ruger #1 loads (i think he also included rollers, not sure). ymmv, as always - particularly on the internet. good thing all i load for mine is real gunpowder.
    I don't think you were talking to an actual Pedersoli tech unless you called Italy. That's where they're located. Their N. American service center is run by Lee Shaver of Lee Shaver gunsmithing fame. He's here in the states. That's who I talked to when I had questions about Pedersoli products. He'll give you a straight answer when you ask.

Boolit Buddy
    The Ruger #1 is out of my price point, and I certainly wouldn't use the Ruger loads in anything but the Ruger.
    The Flag is flown upside down as an official distress signal that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness has been compromised.

Boolit Master
    High pressure loads in bullets weighing more than 300 grains beat the living snot out of me. I just purchased one of the Henry 45-70 single shots didn’t need it but could not pass up the wood on that off the shelf Gun. I shoot moderate heavy boolits with a nice easy charge of Unique or Universal because that is what I have. All my 45-70 stuff is WFN moulds. Excellent boolit for hunting plinking etc. just great stuff. I cannot wait to get this gun home and do some shooting with it.

Banned

How's the trigger on yer Henry .45-70?

Boolit Master
    I too got hammered by heavy 45-70 loads. Had a Handi Rifle that would open on firing. Then I tried a Marlin lever and that really hammered me too. I should have just stuck with trapdoor loads. My Henry SS is easy with hot .44 mag loads and that will do. And the trigger on it is fine and easy to smooth up.

Banned

Using 405 grain greasers, that yields mouse fart loads with Trail Boss, and quite accurate 200 yard loads aren't difficult with AA5744 - and no shoulder hurts with either in a 7# rifle.

NEhoo, just ordered up yet another Henry SS ... yup, .45-70 of course.

For a single shot .45 caliber rifle I went with a TC New Englander relined to have a .458" bore diameter and seven sided very nearly polygonal rifling. Depending upon which mold, wads and powder used it will duplicate 45-70, 45-90, whatever, with lubed lead or paper patched. Been threatening to have another put together with a longer 32" barrel but I probably won't now.

Boolit Master
    How's the trigger on yer Henry .45-70?
    It’s new the wood is fantastic but the trigger is good breaks clean little creep. Honestly it’s a hunting rifle not a bench rest rifle so that is not huge deal to me I shoot so much triggers just are not a huge deal to me.

Boolit Master
    Using 405 grain greasers, that yields mouse fart loads with Trail Boss, and quite accurate 200 yard loads aren't difficult with AA5744 - and no shoulder hurts with either in a 7# rifle.

NEhoo, just ordered up yet another Henry SS ... yup, .45-70 of course.
    Hoping for psychedelic wood for you! The medium height rings for my .44 should be here Saturday so I'll have that Leupold 1.5 - 5 on it soon.

Boolit Master
    I've a Ruger #1 and I guarantee you'll run out of shoulder before you reach top end loads in the 45/70. With factory loaded 300 grain bullets you have a nice decent rifle. Push them above 1900 fps and you have a monster on your hands. Been there done that and sticking to cast bullets at trapdoor levels. Fired a Marlin 1895 a buddy had with both factory 300 grain bullets and the old 405 grain bullets. Not my idea of fun. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

My Encore Katadin is rated for heavy loads, but I don't want to!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Magnunitis never dies.

If you want Ruger #1 45-70 loads get a .458 win magnum or a 450 Lott in a proper arm for that energy.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Magnunitis never dies.
    Buddy, I snort laughed loud enough to wake up my wife and Yorkie! I agree with you! People have criticized me for YEARS because all I ever regularly shot in my old H&R 45-70 Handi rifle was "cowboy" loads. I've seen that 405grain RNFP go lengthwise through a 400+ lb hog. I've never understood the want or need to punish yourself by loading up super heavy loads in one! Heck I spent alot of time, a decade or so back, working on lighter recoil loads with a 405 grain HB bullet. Accurate as could be, but the low low price of cowboy loads back then made it not quite worth the effort. I even gave serious consideration to converting brass to using a shotgun primer for blackpowder loads, but again powder prices, and even loaded cowboy ammo prices made it mostly a "just for curiosity" endeavor. The one thing I REALLY wanted to do, at one point, was recreate "foraging" shot loads from the way back days. Never got around to being able to do it as cancer caught up to me before enough time to get the project moving came along. Oh well.

God Bless.

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the H&R handi in 45/70 7 years ago, found a laminate stock for it on eBay. With a BSA cats eye scope 1-4 1/2 it has accounted for 6 deer, all shot with the Hornaday lever revolution 325. Yes they kick pretty good, that load and the Federal 300 grain load shoots the same poi at 100 yards for me. Unlike some I have never had mine come open upon firing. Years ago some were buying this gun to convert to smokeless muzzle loading because of the strength of the action.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Mold
    Have a few .45-70's

the Marlin 1895 with a 400 gr J-word bullet moving at (chronographed) 17 fps beats the snot out of you and will loosen dental work. But that's a hunting load, so not that many shot from the bench.

H&R buffalo classic shooting a 405 gr boolit at 1465 fps is stout, but not miserable. hold it tight and place a pad between your shoulder and that steel buttplate.

the Uberti sharps is a 12+ lb rifle, and shoots the 405 gr boolit at 1650 fps. with the weight of the gun, it is the most pleasant of the three to shoot.

all are mid-range loads. why someone would have the desire to shoot the ruger loads escapes me. That being said, if you want to shoot Ruger #1 loads, IMO, go buy a Ruger #1. Save your gun and your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    The NEF/High Standard Handi Rifles are rated (by the manufacturer, I verified with them) to take Ruger #1 load data. .
    Not High Standard. Harrington & Richardson. Hi Standard never built a break open rifle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Hoping for psychedelic wood for you! The medium height rings for my .44 should be here Saturday so I'll have that Leupold 1.5 - 5 on it soon.
    Not really fancy grained wood but nice enuf and quite dark as I prefer. Skinner rear peep added. Will see how it works with the Henry front blade sight before ordering out a Lyman 17A globe peep, to get the right height. 1-1/2lbs of lead added in the butt stock to bring the total weight to 8-1/2lbs. Loaded up a variety of cartridges and hoping for good range weather next week to baptize this pea shooter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast