WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: making powder dippers

Boolit Buddy

making powder dippers

Its going to rain this weekend, so I thought i's do some hi temp soldering.

The other day..i was at a loss for my 1CC lee scoop..had a ton of others, multiples in some...but no 1CC.
    So, I dug out some I had made with the usual twisted wire handles and various cartridge cases.

Then I thought that to go along with my minimal/mobile reloading setup, i'd make a few from brass cases, solder on a handle of flat bras barstock, then trim to a specific powder weight, then stamp that on the handle. If this was done ahead of time, one could have one scoop for a few different powders, with the data on a scoop that was very durable.

With just a few scoops, one could load both a midrange practice/utility load, and a jacketed load for a pistol caliber or two as well as a rifle.
    I have one scoop that throws a 15gr charge with 2400, and 9.6 with unique. love this one for 44 magnum.

I'll post a pic of what I come up with.

Boolit Master
    Do you mean silver soldering?
    You could then fill a case with lead and drill out to what you need.
    Seems easier for me than trying to trim the cases down.
    If you go too far then just add abit of the lead swarf and reheat.
    Makes my dipper adjusting and making easier for me.

Just a thought.
    Many ways

Made one with 223 case for the handle looks nice polished up too.
    Looks more flash than the bent twisted wire agricultural ones I usually make.
    Ha

Boolit Grand Master

If your using cartridge cases. trim to charge weight before handle. use your case trimmer to trim down . Start with the case and trim square then weigh and average 10 charges. trim ,010 off and repeat average. You now know how much ,010 changes weight and can get very close with the next trimming.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If your using cartridge cases. trim to charge weight before handle. use your case trimmer to trim down . Start with the case and trim square then weigh and average 10 charges. trim ,010 off and repeat average. You now know how much ,010 changes weight and can get very close with the next trimming.
    Awesome idea!

Boolit Grand Master

If the dipper holds too much powder, I just fill up the extra space with a wad of toilet paper. I have some dippers from the 70's that have not changed their capacity.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

I bought several from a member on another forum that were made from older rimfire cases. Normal solder should work fine for this.

Boolit Master
    No matter how ya make them, Have fun doing it!

I would like to see your pics of them, if ya share them.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I use coat hanger wire for the handle and JB weld it on. Got tired of weighing charges for my 32 S&W.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Mold
    If you have the Lee Auto Disk, take a disc you don't use and fill the hole with epoxy. Drill out the epoxy until the volume is what you are looking for. Works great for 32 S&W and 32 S&W L with WW 231 or Shooters World Clean Shot. Should provide ideal set up for .32 and .25 ACP loads.

Boolit Master

Sorry, I am addicted to Lee charge dipper sets, I have two of the old and two of the new
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I was thinking of doing something similar with a 38SPL or 357Mag case to make a powder dipper for measuring Black Powder charges for my percussion revolvers.

As the precise weight or volume of powder are nearly irrelevant compared to the charge-to-charge repeatability...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwoz View Post
    If you have the Lee Auto Disk, take a disc you don't use and fill the hole with epoxy. Drill out the epoxy until the volume is what you are looking for. Works great for 32 S&W and 32 S&W L with WW 231 or Shooters World Clean Shot. Should provide ideal set up for .32 and .25 ACP loads.

Titan Reloading makes a micro-disk that throws very small charges. It worked well for the small charge for the 32 S&W.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a confirmed "tinkerer" and I've made up a bunch of "custom" dippers. Some I used pistol cases, some I used brass air hose ferrules with a bottom soldered on (one I turned from a solid chunk of stainless steel and epoxied a handle on it. Waaaaay too much work). For "zeroing in" a charge I would either cut down the length, or drop epoxy in the cavity, and to enlarge slightly ream or drill out the cavity. I numbered the dippers and made a list of applicable powders/charges. I'm gonna load some Unique in a few 44 Magnums so I think I'll dig out my dippers and find one that fits (approx. 9.0 gr Unique)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

Hey, there are some great ideas guys!

I had not thought of using my case trimmer, thats awesome.

My solder-Fu was bad today, so I ended up using some swipes to twist on baling wire handles, and on one I used JB stick and a piece of brass flatstock.
    Could not find my engraver though!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I like using scoops when I can. Have made plenty of other quickie twisted wire and spent casing types. Another way of doing the handles is to knock the primer out - bend a piece of brass rod - like 1/8 and bend in a L shape with a leg about 3/*" to 1/2" - put the end of the short L in the primer pocket and solder in. A to of different was to make 'em but the fun is in both the making and then the using of them. Practice and consistent dipping method will give a person repetitive accurate loads - I still check with a scale every few charges though just to make sure "I'm on".

Boolit Buddy
    I read somewhere, wish i could remember where, about using a screw or bolt to thread into the primer pocket of a brass case. To adjust, simply screw the bolt in or out. Seemed very practical but never tried it.

Boolit Buddy

That's a really great idea! was perusing an Ideal catalog from 1939, a reprint from Cornell, and they had some neat tools, onc eof which was an adjustable scoop for BP reloading. Ive not seen one for smokeless- likely because it woukld be too easy to screw up, and blow up a gun and ones face.

The bolt idea is interesting! If one went with all brass hardware: a brass tube, soldered to a bore-size brass nut on the bottom, with a piece of threaded rod with a washer on top to form the bottom of the scoop.

I'm going to keep fooling with the idea, as it would eb a slick addition to a mobile loading outfit.

Boolit Grand Master

The adjustable scoops work well and can be a useable tool. Using a cartridge case with the internal taper makes getting a good fit hard full travel. A piece of hobby store brass tubing of a given size cut to length. ends cleaned and squared up. a nut fit into or a washer on one end and soldered in place ( could be epoxied). for a flat head screw fitted to the tube. last piece is a jam nut to lock when adjusted.

The original benefit to dippers was no scales was used the dippers threw a charge known. ( this was back when accurate scales to our level were very delicate and expensive). The adjustable dipper would require a scales to set it.

Using a cartridge case with the internal taper a stem made from an allen head cap screw turned to fit close at the base and a o ring groove and o ring would seal sides and provide tension when setting.

Boolit Buddy
    Now you guus are cooken with Crisco!

Boolit Grand Master

I use scoops a lot . The Lee scoops don't come in enough small sizes so I started making my own with fired cases and #12 copper wire handles , soft soldered on.
    I have scoops made with every case from 22 short through 45 Colt . I weigh every powder I use with the different scoops and record what each scoop will measure out in a notebook. I have one entire page devoted to Bullseye and what every scoop measures with Bullseye Powder.
    Turn the page and we repeat that with another powder ... say Red Dot. Next page , a different powder.
    This may not be the best way to record what each scoop drops but being of limited brain power...it was my way .
    I can go to the powder page marked AA #5 ...and see my
    22 short dipper measures 2.0 grains
    R-P 32 acp will dole out 5.5 grains .
    38 Colt dipper does 8.5 grains

I have 15 different dippers and recorded weights for 10 different pistol powders . Some of my dippers are Lee dippers with thin cardboard disc's glued in place to get an exact charge.
    I tape over the handle and ink a description or number on it... wish I had a better way to mark them.
    Maybe the old Dymo Label Maker...they stick pretty good , yeah...that's the ticket ! Where did I put those new tape refills ?

Gary
    I keep these charts in pencil and check a new jug of powder to make sure
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast