Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Anything’s edible with Tabasco! Even Marine Corps chow hall grub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LMAO! Yep! Every chow hall I was in had it right on the table, & even in the field, someone had a bottle. Tabasco or Louisiana Hot Sauce. ( "Crystals" L.H.Sauce was popular back then , IIRC.)

Semper Fi!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Every year before Christmas some would get together and buy a big smoked carp for every one. To them it was a special delicacy and was very good. (I believe they were Hungarian immigrant).

Boolit Master

We never ate the Jackrabbits, we took. They were just for target practice, My DAD said if you can hit a running Jack you can hit anything.
    We'd lay them out on the sagebrush and come back to skin them out later. By that times all the fleas had left and the ants hadn't climbed up the sagebrush. Boiled them up for Dog food.

Only exotic game I every ate was Mtn Lion. After I chased him behind the dogs for half a day, I figured I was do something extra besides the head & hide.

Oh' to have the legs and lungs that I had in High School.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Ooh, just remembered, my pet goat Billy! Made a much better pet than dinner .
    Reminds me of the story about a salesman at a farmer's door:

As he's talking to the farmer, a 3 legged hog runs past through the house.
    Salesman, "Did you see that? A three legged hog just ran by behind you".

Farmer, "Let me tell you about that hog. He's a family pet. He even saved our lives awhile back.
    A crook broke into the house, and that hog cornered him, squealed until we woke up and called the Sheriff.
    One time there was a fire, and he went around and got us all up and out of the house".

Salesman, "Yes Sir, but why does he only have three legs"?

Farmer, "A hog that special, it just wouldn't be right to eat him all at once".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Termites- on a survival course, long ago.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Reminds me of the story about a salesman at a farmer's door:

As he's talking to the farmer, a 3 legged hog runs past through the house.
    Salesman, "Did you see that? A three legged hog just ran by behind you".

Farmer, "Let me tell you about that hog. He's a family pet. He even saved our lives awhile back.
    A crook broke into the house, and that hog cornered him, squealed until we woke up and called the Sheriff.
    One time there was a fire, and he went around and got us all up and out of the house".

Salesman, "Yes Sir, but why does he only have three legs"?

Farmer, "A hog that special, it just wouldn't be right to eat him all at once".
    Now that is funny!

Super Moderator

I had a wilderness survival course in high school. During this course I ate a big fat Packrat for dinner, and fire roasted Prickly Pears for dessert. The pears were good, but I had to force the other down...Yuck.

Boolit Grand Master

Rattle Snake, cut up like Catfish steaks, battered and deep fried. Taste a little like fried fish. Possum, baked with carrots and potatoes. A little greasy, pretty pleasant tasting. Coon, BBQ'ed. A little tough. Roasted Goat, stringy and a little tough. Pleasant enough taste. Crawfish, Alligator, Squid, Carp, Drum, Buffalo. The Carp was pickled and pressed into a burger. Pretty gamey.

Read through the entire thread and never saw porcupines mentioned except at the very beginning. Growing up, my dad had a cattle ranch in the middle of a national forest. Porcupines were not uncommon, and were unprotected as they like to eat the tops out of young pine trees and kill them, so the USFS encouraged shooting them. My mom would roast them, and they tasted a lot like roast beef. I participated in eating several of them, and a couple of times guests who had heard about them requested them.

Another "delicacy" that I ate several times were bullfrog legs. Great sport to go out in a row boat at night and spotlight them among the cattails, then stab them with a long handled gig. You've got to soak them overnight in very salty water or the legs will jump right out of the frying pan.
    They tasted kind of fishy.

Those days are long gone, and now I try to sneak up on beef rib steaks hiding in the Styrofoam trays at the supermarket.

Boolit Master
    Tried porcupine but it smelled like turpentine, prairie dogs taste like rabbit but are very tough. Horse is very good, very much like elk in flavor. Frog legs are excellent.

I've had BBQ coon. It was slow cooked in a crock pot, so was fairly tender.
    Was still a bit stringy.
    It was edible, but I imagine you could put an old shoe in the crock pot, pour BBQ sauce on it and it would at lease be palatable.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

USMC 77, USRA 79

Well, being an Alaskan, we have a ton of wierdo foods from all over the state.. I have eaten..

1. Musk ox. Really good sheep like in texture
    2. Polar Bear... yikes tasted like salty blood.. and stinks to cook..
    3. Seal a variety of ways.. I like GOOD quality seal oil with dried fish. But that is it. Flippers yikes.
    4. beluga whale... ehhh no.. dont like it pickled, dont like it raw, dont like the chewy texture
    5 herring eggs, considered a delicious treat, but has little flavor to me.. like grits kinda only more fishy.. most around here eat it with kelp and whole salmon heads calling it fish head soup. I eat it to be polite but do t fix it for myself.
    6 Salmon eggs raw and smoked.. no and no... wayyyyy to salty and fishy
    7 Brown Bear, nasty except when made into brown bear bacon..
    8 Black Bear, yummy in the spring and a primary food source for us. Bear bacon burgers YUM.
    9 Amanita Mascaria mushrooms. Pretty good if you know how to remove the part that makes you loopy, then sick. All in preparation, and a really tasty good, big, meaty mushroom.
    10 Hooligan... pretty good fried hard and crunchy, otherwise mushy and way way oily.

I will have to think about that for a while more, but that is my top 10 un-usual
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Oh... shot a coyote once, when I was still in the hospital business. Determined not to waste the chicken killer, shot it in the head while it was wagging it’s tail.. I skinned it, striped the whole thing and made Yote Jerky.. I carried the first few pieces around in my shirt pocket for hours trying to get up the nerve to take a bite.. offered it to several nurses at the hospital in the Mat-su valley, and they didn’t even blink when I offered and told them what it was, said it was good and like most other jerky.. but I couldn’t get over the tail waging dog thing. I did finally take a bite, and it was like any other wild game jerky.. did I ever to it again.. Nope... I also turned down dog dinner when I was in manilla my Philip good friend kept telling me “oh, but is a good dog” when he saw it running down the side of the road, but I couldn’t do it. I have tried to justify it over the years biblicaly, with Peter in the New Testament being told by God that the foods on the sheet were ok, but I do have my limits... I struggle with walking on water also...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Oh... shot a coyote once, when I was still in the hospital business. Determined not to waste the chicken killer, shot it in the head while it was wagging it’s tail.. I skinned it, striped the whole thing and made Yote Jerky.. I carried the first few pieces around in my shirt pocket for hours trying to get up the nerve to take a bite.. offered it to several nurses at the hospital in the Mat-su valley, and they didn’t even blink when I offered and told them what it was, said it was good and like most other jerky.. but I couldn’t get over the tail waging dog thing. I did finally take a bite, and it was like any other wild game jerky.. did I ever to it again.. Nope... I also turned down dog dinner when I was in manilla my Philip good friend kept telling me “oh, but is a good dog” when he saw it running down the side of the road, but I couldn’t do it. I have tried to justify it over the years biblicaly, with Peter in the New Testament being told by God that the foods on the sheet were ok, but I do have my limits... I struggle with walking on water also...
    Oh ye of little faith.LOL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post

Boolit Grand Master

Fruit Bat cooked in coconut milk. Used to shoot them with my 20 gauge in Guam.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    It’s called pulpo. Use to get pulpo salad all the time from a seafood market on Long Island. Along with eel, both smoked and fried!
    Calamari is squid, Pulpo is octopus. I forget what the Greeks call them but there tasty by whatever name.
    Taramasalata is Carp roe in as heavy a garlic sauce as you can imagine. The roe still comes through hard. Like Lutefisk, once is plenty.
    Had a friend that ate rockchuck on a bet, woodchuck might be fine but the amount of ticks and fleas on a rockchuck would make me pass.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Sea urchin sashimi at a sushi place. Like chewing on a cold, mushy tongue. Never again. Really like sushi, but some things should not be made into food.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sea Urchin is my favorite sushi. Its big business on the West Coast.

Yeah had it at the sushi house in Alameda, CA. Apparently a good seller just not for me, the ONLY food I I have genuinely not liked. I eat most everything and like it.... Just not urchin haha

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast