Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Master

Black birds, either shush-k-bob or in pot pie are good

Jack Rabbits not so good, and have BOILS, YUK!!

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Weirdest thing, I tried tofo once, that was enough. No taste, kinda like avacodoes. I sat in the creek while smallmouth fishing. Wondered what crawfish was like, so I sat and pealed and ate a half dozen or so. Actually thought they were pretty good, spring fed creek. Ate a squid once, but that was over a bet and beer, wasn’t memorable. Coon, possum( to greezy), rattle snake(yum!), ground hog( Young are good old ones make tough gravey). Tripe, chittlins, brains and eggs, squirrel brains, toungue, snapping turtle, frog legs, gizzards, ox tail, pig ears,and pig feet are all favorites. Haggis is wonderful, but not many know how to do it up right, only had it in Scotland that was good. Smoked, well most anything is good! Actually I will try anything except turnips, they are just the inediable root of turnip greens. Bugs aren’t a big desire, but in the right circumstance I’m in. Almost anything can be good when cooked(prepared) by someone knowledgeable, or Cajun.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I eat two or three red ants a year just to keep my metabolism proper. You have to eat them quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Now don't belittle a good carp. Skinned, gutted, scored, dusted with a bit of pancake flour with a bit of cornmeal then fried in a bit of grease, ummmm good.

I was going to try chitterlins once.

I was cooking them as per my buddy from Mississippi said,,,,,,,
    About half way through, they stunk so bad, the wife threw me and the pot out of the kitchen.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    A good friend’s dad always loved to cook for a “exotic feast” cookout. He had been a butcher and all around country boy growing up. One time we walked out to the cook shed, wife didn’t allow chittlins cooked in the house, he had a can of niblets corn open. He had us sit down and help him stuff a few kernels into random pieces before he dipped them in the breading. Was an interesting feed that night, buddy’s girlfriend was the first to find the corn. The reaction was .. predictable! Somewhere in there was a piece that had one end seared against the burner, looked gust like the “exit end” of that plumbing! Who ever got it didn’t notice cause I know that would have been memorable. This was in 1977 and I still laugh every time I think of it! Never let the cook in the scotch when there is a chance for fun
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

I used to bow fish a LOT and as such, ate a lot of carp and buffalo. Both are good cooked certain ways, especially smoked. As stated, you haveto cut off the mud line. Worst thing about them is all the Y bones. I ate Gar too, it tastes pretty good, but they're a PITA to clean.

I have eaten a possum. I would eat a possum a long time before I'd eat a coon, coons are so nasty smelling and looking I just couldn't imagine.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I was going to try chitterlins once.

I was cooking them as per my buddy from Mississippi said,,,,,,,
    About half way through, they stunk so bad, the wife threw me and the pot out of the kitchen.
    There's a little town in S.C. near where I grew up that has an annual chitlin festival where they cook and sell and eat a few dumptrck loads of them. Never had a desire to try them, but they are popular in certain circles.

Here ya go; http://www.chitlinstrut.com/

Boolit Bub
    Best advice I can give after eating a lot of critters is this. If you're gonna eat a male bob cat, neuter him a couple of years before you butcher him. Otherwise it tastes like eau de litter box.
    Duke

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDuke View Post
    Best advice I can give after eating a lot of critters is this. If you're gonna eat a male bob cat, neuter him a couple of years before you butcher him. Otherwise it tastes like eau de litter box.
    Duke
    Same goes for a bore hog cut em at least a month before ya bucther em. If wild and And caught alive corn feed also if he’s getting cooked anyplace other than a barbecue.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    . Never had a desire to try them, but they are popular in certain circles.
    Whenever my Grandfather wanted to sneak off, and go hang out with his buddies, he'd tell my Grandmother,
    "Hey, they're having a big chittlin supper down at the lodge hall, you want to go"?

The answer was always the same, "No,,,,, you go on ahead, and have a good time".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

An old neighbor used to fix all the "oddities" and have the boys form the neighborhood over. Pidgeon's, coon, possum, muskrat, most game animals, turtles ( always snappers never the soft shell), wood chucks, carp, sheephead and other fish. Was always a good meal and good evening. I learned to clean turtles from him. Was an old farmer and he had learned to supplement the diet on the farm with other animals from the farm and area.

Boolit Master
    Forgot, rooster fries and mountain oysters! True sweet meats, as long as they are cooked fully. We used to have a managers meeting that always started with 3 or 4 trays of rooster fries, miss that restaurant.

Boolit Master
    I grew up eating pigs feet, oxtail, so they were not strange to me. That is why I didn't mention them before. Lol

We had head cheese or "souse" made from the head and pigs feet pickled, Jack Rabbit Texas Chili (no beans or tomatoes) when as a little girl my Mother's job was to "rid" the guts so they could be used to make link sausage. When she got about 12 years old she got up from her work and stated that she was finished ridding guts and went in the house to the old treadle Singer sewing machine and sewed up some feed sack cloth the right size for the sausage links and it worked very well.
    As for eating strange critters, my opinion of carp changes depending on the water they came from. Around Wichita Falls Texas, the water is gyppy. Can't drink the water! Even black bass are affected somewhat. My Dad canned 12 1/2 gallons jars of carp once and didn't get it right I suppose. It was the middle of July and we were sitting around in the shade with our arms held out away from our bodies and not expending any effort because it was too hot to do anything at all. Temps was 112 degrees. All of a sudden we heard an explosion , then another and another in quick sucession until all 12 of the jars were gone. They were sitting on a shelf in the back of our garage with no sheet rock on the sides. Went all over the car ( windows open) and pieces of glass stuck in the near side of all the 2x4s on each side all the way to the back of the garage. Of course I drew the short straw to clean up the mess. Sheuueeee I was about 10.
    His recipe for fixing carp was to get a pine board and put the carp on it and pack red clay all around the carp about a 1/2 inch thick and stand it up close to the fire. When the clay dried and began to ooze some juices out of the mud, you take the board and bang it on something hard until the clay and the fish comes off, then eat the board. LOL
    Trapped a bobcat, skinned it and was cutting up a hindquarter in 1 inch squares to make bait for my traps. It was really white with no smell, so I fried a piece of it and it was good. Raccoon is top notch (depending on what they are eating I think) Had a taste of possum as a kid and never again. Hunting buddy killed a porkypine in N.M.and had small pieces cooked in the skillet when we got into camp. That was the worst thing I have had in my mouth. I quit right here. Could go on and on but.....

Jack rabbits really do much better with half an hour in a pressure cooker.
    Really gets that meat falling off the bone tender.

Had a friend who was becoming quite the artist with pressure cooked jacks. Winter time with 3 feet of snow they'd come to the roads where there was any brush or browse to eat.

Other than that snapping turtle was one of my stranger ones. Made good soup but its a lot of work to get the meat out.

Snipe and woodcock are good. Long story but we were stuck in a little ford ranger, no jack, no tools. So the one guy had an uncle some 15 miles away, he started walking. The other guy was trying to kill about a zillion mosquito's with 3 cans of off brand repellent. He got sick as a dog breathing that ****.

I filled an empty beer bottle with melted ice from the cooler, walked over to the edge of the woods with my Ruger 10/22 and built a fire and made camp. At sundown I saw birds flying into a mud puddle just a bit past the one we were stuck in and got a snipe and a woodcock.

Skinned and roasted over coals they tasted mighty fine. Salt would have been nice.

All part of the young and stupid stuff many of us lived through.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    On Okinawa, we called that 'mystery meat'.
    Yuppers. We used to get the “chicken legs“ that looked just like the rabbit legs on steroids. Never anything but legs. Dog tastes like a cross between turkey and dark chicken meat.
    Loved the teriyaki monkey as well.
    Barbecued rats in the Philippines, tastes like beef. Shark—fishy, rattlesnake—white chicken. Tried crow, but the big cyst in the leg put me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Funny how a pressure cooker and some spices can make seemingly inediable critters “pretty dang good”. Funny thing, there is a shaker full of “slap yo mama” in my little pack that stays in my truck. Even better than straight salt

Boolit Master

Anything’s edible with Tabasco! Even Marine Corps chow hall grub!

Boolit Master

Ooh, just remembered, my pet goat Billy! Made a much better pet than dinner .

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast