RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Question

Boolit Mold

Powder Question

The question is this, what's a good substitute for sr4759 ?
    Last edited by WolfyW; 03-24-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Boolit Master

67 IMR Co SR 4759 is supposed to the close. I have never tested it myself.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    20gr of 2400 usually does quite well in 30-06, and burn rate is close even though they look very different.

WolfyW, you are 1 of legions of handloaders who are asking that same question, myself included. Everyone will say Accurate 5744 but I have a hard time finding it and as a notoriously cheap ***, I have a hard time with the almost $40 per lb prices I have seen. I am down to my last 1/2 lb and since the discontinuance of 4759 which was the most accurate powder for my 45/70's. I did ask a very noted gunwriter with a lifetime of experience about using 2400 and he emphatically said NO, but there are a lot of pretty savy people here who have used it with no apparent problems.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    According to Western powders burn rate chart SR4759 has the same burn rate as Accurate A-4100, Hodgdon Lil-gun, Ramshot Enforcer and Viht N-110.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by seetrout View Post
    According to Western powders burn rate chart SR4759 has the same burn rate as Accurate A-4100, Hodgdon Lil-gun, Ramshot Enforcer and Viht N-110.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-con...burn_rates.pdf
    I have not tried any of those powders. Are they as bulky as 4759?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    similar burn rate by itself does not mean its safe to use in all the same circumstances.

Boolit Mold
    30-06, 210 round nose gc cast boolit. Trying to duplicate results my late Dad loaded but didn't get to shoot. Tried them yesterday and they shot a nice .5 inch group at 50 yards benched (all the distance my club has). Dad left the specs incl. powder, just not primer.
    He didn't hunt, really knew his stuff though so I'm not surprised. Into rifles and casting before i was a twinkle. Sad that powder was discontinued. Typed the OP coming back from the range. Did a little more research now and it sounds like that powder was a great case filler. I don't plan on using dacron so I'm guessing whatever powder I go with, a magnum primer may be the ticket ?
    Manuel here lists H4895 for that as well, which I have. And Reloader 7.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    similar burn rate by itself does not mean its safe to use in all the same circumstances.
    Where's that like button?
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I have not tried any of those powders. Are they as bulky as 4759?
    I have no idea. I have never used any of those powders except 4759. I bought a lb of it about 25 yrs ago to make some reduced 100gr HP .270 loads for my uncle's .270 that wouldn't beat up my aunt when she shot groundhogs in the garden. Loaded maybe 50 rds out of the lb. probably less. still have the rest of the can.

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    No ****? I should always follow published recipee's in published reloading manuals? Well don't I feel like the south end of a north bound donkey! I was simply trying to give the OP a place to start looking for something similar, not suggesting that all are direct replacements although it is possible that one of them might be the same powder with a different name.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WolfyW View Post
    The question is this, what's a good substitute for sr4759 ?
    Hi. Just so you know, Shooter's World (Lovex Powders) is working on a SR4759 clone. Not sure when they'll have it, but I know they are looking into it. While we're on the subject of Shooter's World, their Buffalo Rifle (Lovex D060-01) is almost an exact match for AA 5744, but much less expensive. I've been using it for cast loads in my .45-70s, .45 Colts, .260 Rem, and .30-06s. I also use AA5744 which I've compared with the Buffalo Rifle, and both have given me good results with almost the same charge recipes (+/- a few tenths of a grain.) Hope this helps. Ed

Banned
    Trail Boss is not identical but gives good result with cast boolits. Otherwise, 4227 is my go to cast boolit powder.

Boolit Buddy
    For 30-06 reduced cast loads there are a lot of choices in the Lyman 4th cast handbook. Of those, IMR-4227, IMR-4198, IMR-4895, A-5744, A-2400 are the ones I've had the best luck with. For no dacron filler the 2400 gave the best groups followed by 5744. But yes you are right the 4759 has no equal.
    Tony

Wonderful news, I will give them a call to urge them along, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. Just so you know, Shooter's World (Lovex Powders) is working on a SR4759 clone. Not sure when they'll have it, but I know they are looking into it. While we're on the subject of Shooter's World, their Buffalo Rifle (Lovex D060-01) is almost an exact match for AA 5744, but much less expensive. I've been using it for cast loads in my .45-70s, .45 Colts, .260 Rem, and .30-06s. I also use AA5744 which I've compared with the Buffalo Rifle, and both have given me good results with almost the same charge recipes (+/- a few tenths of a grain.) Hope this helps. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by WehrmannsGeweher View Post
    Trail Boss is not identical but gives good result with cast boolits. Otherwise, 4227 is my go to cast boolit powder.
    That powder is only a tic faster than 4759 and would probably be a bit closer to the bullet base. I know that there are some powders that are touted as not being position sensitive but it never hurts to strive for a more full case.

Boolit Master
    In bottleneck cartridges, RE-7 is almost a universal from 222 to 338 WM. It may not be the best for an individual rifle barrel but it will get you close to where you want to be usually.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Is Buffalo Rifle as bulky as 5744? I am not opposed to using a Dacron filler if a powder gives the right kind of accuracy but it is a step I'd rather not use.

Boolit Master

Look the same to me

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Is Buffalo Rifle as bulky as 5744? I am not opposed to using a Dacron filler if a powder gives the right kind of accuracy but it is a step I'd rather not use.
    Hi! To my naked eye, yes...they are virtually identical. If you really need me to, I'll be happy to weigh it and give you the densities for each, but they'll be really close. Here's a couple of pics so you can see what I mean. Ed
    Attachment 238803
    Attachment 238804

Boolit Buddy
    Buffalo rifle. great powder and much cleaner burning than 5744 and fills case more but not like SR4759. Seams to be very consistent.

According to ADI the source manufacturer of SR4759 it has equivalents. ADI manufactures powder sold under other brand names and the equivalents chart gives their designation as well as the designation the other brands use for the same powder. Note they do say +/- 5% equivalent to the ADI version.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/powder-equivalents/

They show these three powders as equivalent to SR4759

• AA4100
    • N110

For the times I have taken their data for loads and applied it to the equivalent powder it has provided good loads, I have also noted that in these discussions the experience of others tends to often have people suggesting a substitute powder that is listed as an equivalent powder by ADI. As always starting near minimum load and working up is advisable.

ADI also has some good load data. Requires getting the load data for the ADI designation and then finding a US brand equivalent but process of looking up load data and then finding the equivalent worked well for heavy 303 British bullet I was having trouble finding load data for.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast