RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20 gauge round ball / rifled choke surprise.

Maybe the ball hit sideways? Hard to say all the way from California. It takes a really long time to get here.

The other 4 look good.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow. A key holing RB. Who'd a thunk.

Petander. I cut my hulls by hand and to make it more consistent, I make a jig (tube cut to length) that fits over the empty hull. With the metal tube in place & resting against the rim of the hull, I use my pocket knife to trim the overhang. Only trial and error will give you the correct length of the jig. Once you get the right jig, it's very easy, fast, & consistent to cut the hulls. Just insert the hull, hold it and cut.
    I never did find a 28 ga cork wad source but it looks like the 28 ga fiber wad (1/2") will do the trick.

3/4" pvc pipe supposedly fits 12 ga hulls perfectly. maybe there is some thing with a 5/8" ID that would work for you. It would be a simple solution.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master
    Tube jig is a good idea,thank you.

I cut small amounts of my 20 gauge "Economy Slugs" by hand because my drill press cutting jig (I mounted the BPI jig on the drill press) is adjusted for 12 gauge and I'm lazy to tweak back and forth.

I can easily cut a box while watching a bad movie on TV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190408_180434_869.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	239467

Boolit Master
    One box gives me one liter can full (a quart?) of trap shot.

I converted one can to 575 RB:s today, now my ball alloy is softer than ever, being 95% of trapshot.

Testing continues.

Name:	IMG_20190409_202234_131.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	239535

Boolit Grand Master
    Yesterday I cast a small amount of pure lead .575's. Have no idea when I'll have the chance to sit down and make some up. Still lurking for load data ideas.

Petander: I saw this on Youtube tonight which is a piece of Conduit used as a trim jig.

Might help you out.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxKN-J3Ruk

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Petander: I saw this on Youtube tonight which is a piece of Conduit used as a trim jig.

Might help you out.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIxKN-J3Ruk

Randy
    Now that is really simple! Thank you.

I tried taller corks yesterday,It felt like I maybe got a little more velocity. The package is pretty tight, crimp is holding the ball snug.

Accuracy was the same, 35 m here. But again with a cyl choke Benelli.

Name:	IMG_20190411_151736.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	239705.

Name:	110420194171.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	239706

Boolit Master
    I zeroed my 870 a 35 meters. Three first soft balls were touching so I made adjustments accordingly.

The accuracy showed more spread as I continued but it stayed within fist size. I loaded these pure lead balls sprues up.

I then took a grouse target to 75 meters and aimed five shots at the head.

Name:	870_softball_15_cork_sprue_up.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	239881.

These soft balls do not tighten the rifled choke as much as hard ones. Petals get toasted with both. I shouldn't have hit the head... that is a flyer for whatever reason. My red dot covers the whole head,could be a shooter error,too. There was some wind from the right.

Petander: Index the right edge of the Red Dot on the 9 O'clock point on the diamond. If you have a 3 MOA dot your shots will be 1.5" to the left of the edge at 100 yds. It is impossible to index a Red Dot on the center of a target the same way every time because you are only going to get as close as whatever the size of the dot actually is. IE: 3 MOA means that the best you can index is 3" at 100,,, Then you add the groups size to that.

90% of shooting groups is about accurately indexing the sights of the gun on the target in an accurate and repeatable manner.

The results are what your groups actually are as opposed to your groups with sighting errors included.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

90% of shooting groups is about accurately indexing the sights of the gun on the target in an accurate and repeatable manner.

Randy

Absolutely agreed.

Finally became motivated enough to cast some 58 and 60 cal RBs and stuff them into 20ga hulls. Now for the rain to let up so i can test them.

I also tried the OPs method of replacing the shot in a factory round with a 58 cal RB. The low brass 7/8 oz remington field wads have ribbed petals so they are a no go. Bulges at the ball circumference prevent chambering. The high brass 1 oz winchester hulls work great with the 58 cal RB, ball diameter is 0.5785". Roll crimped and ready to go. Saved the shot to feed to squirrels and turkeys.

IF, i find an accurate load i will post load data and pics. I will be cheating a bit when i shoot as my 20ga has a rifled barrel. Of course the advantage of rotation will be off set by my bad eyes and the open sights.

BB

Boolit Master

BB, did you trim your wads back or were they included in the roll crimp. I'm working on some Federal 20 ga. loads now, the wad stands up even with the mouth of the hull when the fold crimp is trimmed off!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    BB, did you trim your wads back or were they included in the roll crimp. I'm working on some Federal 20 ga. loads now, the wad stands up even with the mouth of the hull when the fold crimp is trimmed off!
    I should have trimmed the petals on the factory shotshell wads but i didn't. Not the best roll crimp. If i load more i am going to the ball closer to the mouth of the hull like the pics from the OP. The 58 cal ball fit tight so in a break action you could probably get by without a crimp.

BB

Boolit Master
    I use a cork under the ball.

Surprisingly my corks are 20 gauge but they go in,tight. Tried three different heights until I found a nice,tight crimp. 13 mm is the best fit here.

Boolit Master

Petander, you do not use the plastic shotcup, only the cork under the ball?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    The cork is in the cup under the ball.

Banned
    Great post and I enjoyed reading it, keep it up my friend.
    I made minute changes to my .575 RB, instead of 2- .125 nitro cards of 28 ga, now I use 2 1/2 nitro cards for a far better fit.
    The Circle Fly nitro cards are easy to split in half just with your nails.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Buddy
    Hi. I cast up a handful of .562 RB's to try in my RIA single shot 20 gauge. I've got some Winchester 7/8 oz lead trap loads to use as donors. I do not have any wads or a means to crimp. The balls weigh 262 grains and 7/8 oz of shot weighs 382 grains. Not sure how to proceed. Instead of a wad I could use a wadded up piece of newsprint. Instead of a crimp I could maybe use a couple dabs of hot glue. My expectations are quite low. If I can consistently perforate a paper plate at 25 yards I will consider this experiment a success.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You should start by simply buying a Roll Crimping Tool from Reloaders Network or Ballistic Products. Then just dump the shot out and put a 1/4" felt wad (also from, BPI) in the shot cup and then the ball, then Roll Crimp it closed.

Not too hard and you will get decent results from the outset.

Also you can read up on how we all do this type of stuff right here on this Forum because there is more being done here with Slugs and Round Balls than anywhere else on the internet.

Randy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast