RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H320 questions

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, cabezaverde. I've been reloading for around 45 years...pistol, rifle and shotshell. I've read a lot about reloading in that time, and have done a lot of reloading and shooting, but like I said "my memory is a little fuzzy" ... I blame it on my age (70). I tried to give a little history on the H320 powder as I remember it, and I avoid giving load data to people in online forums (but I don't know any load data about H320 because I never had any of that powder.)

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all of you. Loaderdewd, good information and understanding not putting load data out (although I understand you don't have for this).
    I have what I need to get started with it. I have worked up surplus powders in the past, never knowing exactly what they were. I just gave them my own name to keep records. Dan

Banned

well if anyone else finds a pile of this 320 and is afraid to load with it send it my way. Ill feed my starving ar15s with it.

Boolit Buddy

Well, I started with 30gr of H320 in a 7.62 nato brass behind a jacketed 150 bullet. In a FR8 mauser. I yanked on the trigger with a string, being cautious. As I expected, no signs of pressure and is likely a very mild load. Good. I can work up from here. When I see signs of pressure, I'll chronograph and I should be able to nail down the burn rate.
    The only reason I used jacketed bullets to work up with, is lots of data available to compare with.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master

Good job Dan. I bet that is mild, H322 starting load minus 20% is approximately what you got there. You will achieve about 2650 fps with safe pressure and your 150 gr bullet, that's my prediction . Keep us posted
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Good job Dan. I bet that is mild, H322 starting load minus 20% is approximately what you got there. You will achieve about 2650 fps with safe pressure and your 150 gr bullet, that's my prediction . Keep us posted
    Thank you Sir. That is pretty much how I determined my starting load. The goal is not necessarily to work up a load with 150gr jacketed bullet, but doing so would be great for hunting. I hope to use this powder for a variety of cartridges, from 223/jacketed to whatever, with cast bullets. It would be nice to use with 444 and 45-70 cast. Especially 30-30 with cast bullets on silhouettes.

Boolit Grand Master

I think you will be able to do exactly what you want from this powder in every cartridge you mention. Ten pounds of this was a sweet find!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

With loads of 30-34 grains, 150 sp, they were mild, low recoil, and no signs of pressure. GREAT. I can proceed to go up until I see signs of moderate pressure. Something to note, one load shot a 5 shot little round group, that could be covered with a quarter. This is at 50 yards, with a FR8, iron sights. Heck, I can't see that good, so there must have been some luck in there too. The FR8 never ceases to please.
    The recoil felt like a reduced power load. Yay!

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like that mauser will shoot. I miss the hey day of cheap surplus powders and cheap surplus mausers. I just recently bought one of those cheap TC compass in 308, it is being fed WC846 since I have some left, when it's gone will start on the T2208, oh my an era gone.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

My chronograph quit working, drats. New battery, it is still giving bad readings.
    But now have shot loads up to 39 gr with no signs of over pressure. It is feeling like a full power recoil, so will cut increments down to half grain, and proceed with caution. will stop when signs of pressure tell me we are there. I will not push the limit hard, just want to find it.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master

It would be nice to have the chronograph, I always like to know the velocity but not a deal breaker in your load work up. You made a great find there, wish I could help you burn it up!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

OH I am gonna replace the chronograph for sure. Just on a budget, with upcoming surgery and other things that have priority. Dan

Boolit Buddy

To dig up this old thread, I experimented with a 308 Mauser, and started "pop corn" weak. I worked up to 39 grains and the primers and brass looked like near max loads. Nothing scary. My chronograph broke along the way. 😒
    Anyway, I do believe the burn rate is similar to AA2200 and Reloader 7.
    Jumping from that, I worked up a load with TC 10" 7TCU, and found it shoots very well with RCBS 7-145. At 21.0gr, the case is nearly full, and I have unburned kernels left over and it is pleasant to shoot. I got about 1" group at 50 yds, so I am going with that, since it makes me happy! Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12