Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Need help with Lee setup

Boolit Mold

Question Need help with Lee setup

I am new to the reloading game, and I just acquired a 3 hole Lee turret press with auto indexing. What dies are to be used with this press? I am not sure if all of the parts are there and I do not have the manuals. It seems as though there is a step I’m missing or something. How do you get the primers into the new shells?

Thanks, Kaiden

Banned
    Sounds like you are missing the primer arms and who knows what else.

Is this what you have ? Note primer arm under shell holder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1000.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	237668

Please check for some YouTube videos.

I do not want to dismiss your comment and plea for help.

But Lee dies are cheap and effective. Buy carbide dies. Do not skimp on that.

You will need the priming arms.

Sounds like you got it used.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Any standard (7/8-14) dies will fit, Lees work well enough. Contact them for a parts diagram or list, owners manual, whatever you can get. Without photos it's hard to say what you need.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Bub
    You can use pretty much any dies, As far as I know they are all the standard 7/8x14 thread, but there may be some oddball stuff. I'm happy with the Lee die sets, they're inexpensive, they work great and include the shell holder which is an extra purchase with the other manufacturers. Make sure you get the carbide set so you won't have to worry about lubing pistol brass.

As far as priming, you should have two priming arms that will slide into a slot on the ram (just one can be there at a time), as shown in the picture from SvenLindquist above. One is for small primers and one for large primers. You can just place a primer in the pocket or use the Lee Safety Prime feeder that mount on the press.

The instruction sheet for the Lee 3-hole turret is at https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in...-HoleTPwAI.pdf, but it doesn't give much information other than a diagram showing the various parts of the press.

If you're new to reloading, I'd highly recommend you pick up a reloading manual and read the front sections about how to reload a time or two. The Lee Modern Reloading manual is good, and so are the others from Lyman, Hornady, etc.
    "The ABCs of Reloading" is another book that is recommended by many.

Also, there are a lot of videos on YouTube that cover the basics of reloading.

And of course, I've found the people on this forum very helpful.

Dave

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lee Loaders Website

There is a forum out there that specializes in reloading with Lee equipment.. especially for new reloading folks... here is a link....

Lee Loaders Website
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    There is a forum out there that specializes in reloading with Lee equipment.. especially for new reloading folks... here is a link....

Lee Loaders Website
    Thanks for that link. I hadn't found that one but it looks pretty good.

The 3 hole press is pretty basic with the press, a 3 hole turret and a primer arm. The three hole press has just one primer arm with 2 primer cups. one on each side with one being a small cup and the other a large cup.

There are many different ways to use and set up the press with dies. But if you are going to prime on the press any standard carbide 3-die set will work. The auto index uses some special parts with 2 plastic ratchet parts, a ram clamp and an index rod.

Boolit Master

The Lee pace setter three die sets are for the 3 hole turret.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Please post a few pictures. We could help more, if we could see what you have.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

As previously stated, any 7/8X14 thread dies will work including Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Forester, etc. The "newest" Lee Turrent press uses a 4 "hole" pattern that will not work in your 3 "hole" press, but there are plenty of 3 hole "tool heads" available "online". While you can use any straight case or "bottle neck" case to reload in this press, I use it for all my pistol and "straight" case rifle cartridges where its "indexing" feature makes using additional dies, such as "neck flaring" or "factory crimp" dies, more convenient to use than a "single stage" press. I use a Lee "Auto Prime" rather than the presses' "priming arm" attachment, which is terribly slow, negates feeling the primer "go home" in the primer pocket, and you usually have to handle them with your fingers ("finger oil" - bad!) As also said, Lee fully supports this press and has all the parts available to make it work at a very "low" price. Good luck!

Boolit Bub
    Not to rain on your parade - but Lee presses (I own 3 Loadmasters but just switched brands) are tough to get great priming on. It may prove easier to hand prime....it is pretty quick and then you can be certain everything primes up great before you put in bullet and powder. Just my two cents. Thanks - welcome to reloading. Everyone here has always been very helpful....as you see above.

Boolit Master
    Lee only sells 4 hole turret presses now
    This link it to the Lee factory manuals for 4 hole turrets:
    https://leeprecision.com/instructions.html
    Lots of info here too, even a kit to convert a 3 hole turret to a 4 hole, scroll down for more info links:
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...e-turret-press
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-12-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Here's a pic of Lee's old style press. This is a 4 hole, but basically the same as the three hole. Notice the "primer arm assy.". With a a decapped case sitting n the shell holder, raise the ram, insert a primer in the cup of the assy., lower the ram and seat the primer. There are some that can't get this system to work, but I had an old style turret for over 20 years and although I didn't prime on the press for every reload, i did use it quite a bit with no problems. https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in...urretPress.pdf Primer arms are at the bottom of this page; https://leeprecision.com/parts/reloa...o-index-parts/.

There may be more info at Lee Precision's site about old style turrets, just search the site...

https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in...31_redbase.pdf 4 hole instructions, but almost identical to your 3 hole///
    My Anchor is holding fast!

The primer arm for the 3 hole press is the "T" design with the small cup on one side and the large cup on the other all others will not work with the 3 hole press. This part is also obsolete and no longer available anywhere other than the used market.

The turret presses prime no were near the same way as a LoadMaster Press or any other progressive press.

Here is a picture of the 3 hole primer arm.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Boolit Master

Get a Lyman #50 reloading Manual and a hand priming tool. Or if you're only going to load cast bullets & nothing else, then buy a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life