Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading

Thread: 410 round ball load

410 round ball load

FWIW, a .410" diameter round ball cast from hardball alloy with pass through the fixed full choke of my mossberg 500e without incident. I have shot 3 and 4 ball loads over I4227, at modest 1,100 fps speed.

I am working with both 0.375" and 0.410" roundball loads and hope to have them sorted out fairly soon. The 0.375" are showing the most promise in my 410. It appears that keeping the roundballs centered in the bore is the key to accuracy.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Stacked in a shotcup?

I am using the the gas seal cut from a 410 wad to center the RBs. I use cards or filler to seperate the balls from each other. I will post some pics soon, will show what i loading better than i can describe.

BB

Boolit Master
    I have used a .395, it passes through the full choke of my H & R with thumb pressure. I have some cork gasket material that I placed between the balls to give some cushion. You can get some good velocity with one ball.

I rearranged my loading room a while back and can't seem to find my notes, I really need to do better at that. I have not worked with the 410 for a while and was thinking about getting it out starting again. I do like the little gun as it has been a useful little thing and is highly underrated as a utility gun. The load I seem to use the most is very close to a 38 spcl shot load.

I would be very interested in your results, so please keep us posted if you will.

Dave

I use 19grns of IMR4227 under a .410 Gualandi launching wad with a .38 Ball and its works really well.

Boolit Master
    I’m sure you’re well aware the Rooskie guys on EBay are selling a 410 version mold of the Lyman sabot slug design . If I were intrested in plunking a deer with a 410 I’d give serious consideration to that slug . And if I was and bought the mold I’d try and find someone to make me an additional base plug so the slug was solid base oratleast not quite as deep or large . Although I’m sure as made will do the job within reason. Actually I bet they’d sell you an additional base plug and you could grind it off and buff it to suit yourself .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I have a fully rifled 410 slug gun for deer. 260g LWFN at 1,700 fps, 1.5 moa at 100 yards.

Buckshot is not deer legal where i hunt, Ohio. I am working on heavy buckshot loads for my 500e 410 to use on 2 and 4 legged vermin. Besides, just plinking with a 410 is enough to justify the effort. To me, there is a big grin factor associated with the 67 gauge.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    I have a fully rifled 410 slug gun for deer. 260g LWFN at 1,700 fps, 1.5 moa at 100 yards.

Buckshot is not deer legal where i hunt, Ohio. I am working on heavy buckshot loads for my 500e 410 to use on 2 and 4 legged vermin. Besides, just plinking with a 410 is enough to justify the effort. To me, there is a big grin factor associated with the 67 gauge.

BB
    I’m pretty sure you know me well enough to assume if I cast slugs for a shotgun i’m Going to eventually kill a deer with it God willing and I live long enough Hopefully this coming week I can get a Lee Loadmaster up and functioning so I can load some 10mm 180 and 200 grainers , got a Kimber 1911 6” 10 a bit before Xmas and of course I’ll try and eventually kill a deer with both cast bullets if they shoot anywhere decent !!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    I have used a .395, it passes through the full choke of my H & R with thumb pressure.

Dave
    FWIW I use a Lee .395” roundball mold to make 00000 Buckshot for my 10 gauge cannons

Bad pics again

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0311192013_1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	237777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0311192125_1.jpg 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	237778

3 ball 0.410" and 4 ball 0.375" loaded over 16g I4227. Testing on Wednesday. Payload for both loads is 0.75 oz. BPI roll crimp w/o an OSC.

I cut up the BPI wads for the gas seal and to make cups to center the roundballs.

BB

Boolit Master
    I likes those big slugs in the right picture beside the Speer box

How would it be if you left out the plastic in between and added a couple more buckshot ?

Craig,

Without the plastic the 375 rbs get off centered during crimping. I am trying to keep them centered in the bore.

On the 410 rbs I am using the plastic to cushion the balls from each other when they swage thur the choke.

I don't like the bpi wads i am sacrificing for birdshot loads. Cup is to short and petals are too thick. Trying to get some use from these wads. I will probably be back to buffer before long.

One of those slugs is a Zlug, the other two are the last of turbo's heat treated fb 12ga slugs. Oh, the dirty piece of brass is a well used Ben Hubbard 45-70 to 45 MZ slip fit breechplug!

BB

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0311192013_1.jpg 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	237777Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture0311192125_1.jpg 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	237778

3 ball 0.410" and 4 ball 0.375" loaded over 16g I4227. Testing on Wednesday. Payload for both loads is 0.75 oz. BPI roll crimp w/o an OSC.

I cut up the BPI wads for the gas seal and to make cups to center the roundballs.

BB
    The (3) 0.410" ball load put all into two inches at 25 yards. ( no pic, rain!) At 40 yards with a rest only one 0.410" ball hit a pie plate. Wind and rain set in so will try again later.

The (4) 0.375" ball load would only put one or two pellets on a pie plate at 25 yards. Gonna punt on this load.

And to make matters worse the extractor spring failed on the 500e's bolt. I applied for an early season turkey hunt (3 weeks from today) glad i still have my Beretta 303.

BB

Recently tried those Hornady .375" balls and they're bad ass.. using 25 grains of Lil Gun to send a single .375" ball about 1750fps, at least out of my Mossberg 500 18" barrel. Doesn't even have that BOOM shotgun sound, its more of a rifle CRACK. Its in the BPI Buckshot Guide. They have a few that are even faster, but haven't tried yet. Something wild like 42 grains Lil Gun sending a pellet 2700fps. HAHA!

Boolit Master

Missin Biker Beans. RIP MY FRIEND.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    hondamikek: this thread is older, but your bringing it back helps me too. I just got in a .390 lee roundball mold and am planning on using it for .410. I have also seen the data for the .410 000 Buck Lil' Gun load. A single ball with the MV of 2850 FPS is really something to think about.

v/r

Boolit Master
    glad you revived this thread as I just getting ready to play with my brace of 410's havent fired them in years. I have little or no success when searching to find info, my search foo not strong.

Sorry to hear of BB's passing. He was frequent contributor here and will be missed.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Sorry to hear of BB's passing. He was frequent contributor here and will be missed.

Randy
    Though I've known of Tom's passing for some time now I'd like to second Randy's post and say He's missed. Always helpful and kind to me. RIP. Gp