RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: food plot turnips

Boolit Master

food plot turnips

Hello, Here's a pic of a turnip I picked out of my food plot for deer. The seeds came from Agway. Planted the seed mix in the middle of Aug. I think the deer might have to wait for me to try them first they look so good.

Boolit Master
    Man where do you live? In August we are beginning to get our first frost and sometimes snow. We have to start seed inside about 4/1 to get stuff like that. We get them it just takes longer and more work than just throwing some seeds out.
    BIC/BS

Boolit Buddy
    Dude,

You're welcome to that nasty turnip! Please send the greens my way though!

Boolit Mold
    Looks good. Turnips are just now growing a little here in KY. No rain has them behind a bit.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    I love me some turnips. Yessir.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I planted my greens here on Aug 11, which was way too early. We've been plauged by slug & snails, but despite them we've canned some 21 quarts, given away several messes & have been eating them ourselves about once a week. I sure will be glad when we finally get a frost on them to sweeten the things up.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    So true Rick. Greens/roots don't get shore nuf good 'til after the first really good frost. After that, stand by.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by jawjaboy View Post
    So true Rick. Greens/roots don't get shore nuf good 'til after the first really good frost. After that, stand by.
    When I was a kid we never picked them until after the 1st frost. My wife (bless her heart) says they're good anytime, so I let her convince me to plant early. Next year I swear they won't go in before 9-15!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Hi there BullShop, I live in SW Pennsylvania. Had some boiled turnips tonight,good eating!!! Did'nt even think about the green tops till I got some replies back from other members.But I will try them next. Groundhogs like them too,I passed up shooting one because he looked so happy with a mouth full.

In Remembrance

I have been too busy at work to plant a fall garden. It's a shame as this would have been the best fall in years. I love turnips and their greens. I had a friend who planted about an acre every year and supplied everyone around, but he has passed on. DALE

If I planted them here

In a food plot, the other club members would have to be kept out with a shotgun. The deer would never see the tops.

As for the turnip, most down here in Ga must think they are poison, cause you'll never see anyone eat them.

Me and the wife love them in stews and with pot roast, Yum !!!
    TwoTrees

"Hold my beer and watch this!!"

Boolit Buddy
    Go to Google and search Candied Turnips. Very easy to make and M------- M------- Good

Boolit Master
    No one seems to eat those turnip greens here in MI, but me, love them all turnip, collard, beet, spinach, dandelion greens, the whole lot and the roots too, oh and rhutabega (misspell?) I'm a native Michigander, but I must have southern blood somewhere, to heck with the deer, we've got apples for them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Its middle spring here, just about to put tomatoes down in pots on the verandah (we got frosts until November, learnt the hard way).

The greens/leaves off the turnips, do you just cook them like spinach/cabbage whatever?

I like having a garden, but am not much good on my knees and never seem to get around to gardening properly (paid attention when I had younguns and no money though), so I think I have found a good solution. There is this French lady who lives a few blocks away from me, she has a really nice veggie garden, but can't handle her lawnmower and edger as she's tiny and in her 60s. She has been trying to employ my friend to mow her lawn. I struck up a deal, I'll look after her lawn and edges and she is going to tend my garden. Should work out well. I'm looking forward to growing beans, tomatoes and silverbeet/spinach, zuccinis, aubignes, etc. have to get the old Vacola dusted off (Aussie home canning outfit).

We had an old garden in one of the prisons I worked in. It was set up by the previous residents, who were criminall insane, long termers. The new residents were juvenilles that the juvenille prison system couldn't handle, they were some of the hardest risoners I ever dealt with. The little sods used to dig up a nice round little turnip when no one was looking and pelt it at staff and visitors who were unlucky enough to be looking the wrong way. A couple of episodes of this and I had had enough. I left them locked in the next morning and we dug the old garden over and got two large garbage bags of small turnips ranging in size from cherry to tenis ball size. You could barely lift the bags. I took them over to the cook and siad that the little sods were going to eat the lot. He put turnips in soup, stew, mashed as veges, etc. I even spotted a few in a fruit salad. he came up to me a month or so later and reported that all of the turnips had been eaten by the prisoners. I thanked him and had to smile, because I was the only that knew why everyone had flatulance for the past month or so
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 10-19-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Mick, we usually cook them in "mixed" greens, the seed mix has turnip, mustard and kale; throw in some smoked ham/bacon for seasoning. Add a few potatoes or turnips to the pot.

Boolit Master

How about "CabbageCollards"? Eastern NC is the only place I've seen them. From Elizabeth City to Wilmington they can be had at roadside stands................Saltpork seasoning, cabbage collards and some corn dumplings, fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob..............nuf sed
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

In Remembrance

Mick: We cook turnip greens in water, drain the water, add more water, salt pepper, a dash of hot sauce, and bacon or pork chunks, and cook again. They are strong enough to need the second cooking. I'm not familiar with aubignes, is there another name for it? DALE

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dale clawson View Post
    Mick: I'm not familiar with aubignes, is there another name for it? DALE
    I googled it and got eggplant receipes. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

Ah, Eggplant! My least favorite vegetable from the garden.

I love turnips and their great boiled up and mashed like potatoes and the greens are great also. Yummy! They grow great in N.J. and I have them in the garden every year next to the brussel sprouts.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast