Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My Krag Sporter

My Krag Sporter

I'm going to slowly put together a Krag sporter with parts I've scooped up here and there. It's an 1898 action in excellent condition with a new PacNor .308" 1-10" 24" barrel. For wood I have a Fajen or Bishop Monte Carlo mannlicher semi inletted walnut stock. I haven't decided lots of details yet but I know Monte had to go. I've never barreled or stocked a Krag so here we go. It will have a Redfield reciever sight, that's for sure.
    To be continued; advice, criticism, ideas welcomed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like you have a good start.

Boolit Master

I really like the krags and will be watching with interest. james

A snag came in the form of the wrong screw included with the sight I won at auction. LUCKILY I found a bolt with identical threads and a shoulder in the correct spot. I'll have to anneal, cut to flush and file a screw lot so there's that. I like these sights but they're getting pricey!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I would probably go a bit smaller on the cheekpiece than you have marked out. They don't need to be as big as some do them. Put some talc on your cheek and mount the stock. See where your face contacts, and go back around a half inch from that. They should be cut down to not much more than 3/8 to 1/2" in total height.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I like that idea, Waksupi. When I nail down my LOP I'll do that. Thanks!

Banned
    You get very kool and make a flush sided magazine like some the the high end Krag sporters had.

There's an article on how to do that in the NRA Gunsmithing Guide: "Flush Magazine for Krag" by J.M. Pearson and J.C. Leigh, Jr. page 280.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...ne-replacement

Here's a link to one (page down a bit)

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/...11011&page=all

Boolit Buddy
    Lose the white line spacer. The Redfield receiver sight is a good choice. You will need a barrel band to hold the barrel to the fore stock. You could incorporate it with a sling swivel or just do each separately to keep the sling from exerting pressure on the barrel. A Williams front ramp will look good or one of the discontinued Lyman ramps if you like a simpler look. I've cut the Monte Carlo comb from several Fajen stocks and I think it improves the looks for a classic style. You did good.

Thanks for the tips. Yes the plastic is destined for the burn barrel. I've got a barrel band in the works, too. I haven't decided whether to keep the Mannlicher forend or not. My barrel is slightly larger than issue so it might look off. I also have an idea for a detachable scope mount built on an extra side plate. I've seen those wood side sporters and they are nice but I've done some rasp testing there already and I like the original look. Thanks again, everybody.

fun build! I am looking forward to watching this!
    “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Here is one my friend Gene did. It may give you some inspiration.

https://www.customrifles.us/complete...e-war-sporter/
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Thank you for that link. It's neat how he added a front action screw and used a barrel wedge. That butt shape is sort of what I'm thinking of. It's feels like I'm not qualified to criticize -but I don't like the left side treatment.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Here is one my friend Gene did. It may give you some inspiration.

https://www.customrifles.us/complete...e-war-sporter/
    Beautiful workmanship. I like the lines of that stock a lot but have to agree with TBG re: LH side treatment. It kind of looks like it was done to correct a boo-boo, whether it was or not. I personally find the bolt handle treatment to look kind of weird too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Yes the plastic is destined for the burn barrel. I've got a barrel band in the works, too. I haven't decided whether to keep the Mannlicher forend or not. My barrel is slightly larger than issue so it might look off. I also have an idea for a detachable scope mount built on an extra side plate. I've seen those wood side sporters and they are nice but I've done some rasp testing there already and I like the original look. Thanks again, everybody.
    IMO Krags don't make up into full stocked designs very well. I've yet to see one that didn't look clunky. For me, "Mannlicher" stocks look best on Mannlichers.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I certainly have no criticism and only advise is to go slow. Much easier to take some more off than it is to put some back on! It has been several decades since I did a stock and I now have a couple to work on and am sort of looking forward to getting back into it. I am also looking forward to seeing your progress! Thanks for the preview!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A snag came in the form of the wrong screw included with the sight I won at auction. LUCKILY I found a bolt with identical threads and a shoulder in the correct spot. I'll have to anneal, cut to flush and file a screw lot so there's that.[/IMG]

That will allow you to clock the slot.

Thanks ulav8r. Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    That will allow you to clock the slot.
    A tip on that. Some don't know the proper method. Put the screw or bolt in place, and see where you need to go. Then chuck it in a drill press, and use a file to take down the back surface of the head until it indexes properly.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    A tip on that. Some don't know the proper method. Put the screw or bolt in place, and see where you need to go. Then chuck it in a drill press, and use a file to take down the back surface of the head until it indexes properly.
    True, but in this case the orientatiion of the slot can be determined before cutting off the bolt. Cut the slot so that it takes no more than 1/8th of a turn to bring it in line. Save the final shaping of the head until after the slot is properly clocked.

If you make the mistake of shaping and slotting the head first, it may require taking off enough for nearly a full turn and the head will be too thin afterwards to look good.

I plan on tightening it with the existing Allen head, marking the slot location with a prick punch, then remove it, dress the head with the slot parallel to the bore, fire blue it, and oil quench. It will be flush like the original.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast