WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 14,000 ticks vs. 1 moose- Moose lost

Blasted hellish frozen northern wastelands, AKA Minnesota

14,000 ticks vs. 1 moose- Moose lost

I HATE ticks.

This is a link to a magazine article regarding an autopsy by field biologists on a poor little moose calf who got sucked dry in New Hampshire.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-moose/583189/

In early Spring, the Moose can lose 3.5 gallons of blood (for a calf, **** near ALL of its blood) in a short period when female ticks go into blood sucking overdrive and bloat up getting ready to drop off and lay their eggs.

Moose calves (50% of all yearlings some years lately) often die of anemia. Adults are weakened, lose a lot of weight, females don't have as many calves.

This is happening every year warm enough so that snow cover in the woods doesn't become permanent well before December.
    Last edited by Bert2368; 02-23-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Same thing happens with caribou/moose calves from flies/mosquitoes up in Alaska and Canada.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Master
    I made the mistake of putting my last deer inside my SUV right after I shot it. Then I waited about an hour or more before I left the hunting area. While driving home I felt something crawling on me, then another and once again another. Did that for the hours drive. When I got home I flea & tick bombed the truck. I remember shooting a rabbit once that was so infested with ticks it looked disfigured.

Boolit Master
    Hate Ticks
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

VT is having the same tick problem. I never noticed or even heard of ticks outside when I was growing up on the canadian border but the last couple of years I've gotten a couple and my friends have warned me about spraying my pants and making sure the dog has tick medicine.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    VT is having the same tick problem. I never noticed or even heard of ticks outside when I was growing up on the canadian border but the last couple of years I've gotten a couple and my friends have warned me about spraying my pants and making sure the dog has tick medicine.
    It’s the entire North East and has pushed south into the Mid Atlantic. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t take my dog or kids into the woods during the spring. Dog already went though lime disease treatment once. And I don’t want my kids to get it. It’s not just effecting rural areas. It’s an epidemic that’s not being talked about much.

Moderator Emeritus

I have already stocked up on the tick sprays and ointments. I give my dog monthly chews for the ticks. Luckily he has a very thick coat and the few I have found on him were dead. I agree it is getting worse, especially those really tiny ones you can barely see.