Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .58 Cal T/C Barrel ?

Boolit Master
    Buzz I would also go the bobby hoyt route back a while ago I had a dixie tenn mtn rifle that bobby put one of his .40 cal barrels in and wow was that thing a tack hammer. I also had one of green mountains drop in .58 cal replacement barrels it was not so good it seems that gm put a few barrels out there that weren't drilled properly through the ignition passage way and would hang fire and guess which one I had when it did discharge properly it was accurate but most of the time it was like a bad flinter even when bone dry & spotlessly clean. I had an idea it would be fun to use it with minnie balls but it just wasn't to be.

Boolit Grand Master
    Buzzard. --
    Hoyt's done a few barrels for me but it's been so long ago I can't remember the prices. I do remember it didn't sting. Mostly I got .54's from .50's, but one Renegade became a .60 roundballer. I'd do it again a heart beat. Getting what you want has a quality all it's own, and far surpasses what others might think.

Boolit Master
    My rifled 62 RB shooter (used to be a 50) cost maybe $125 -30 3 weeks ago with quik turn around time /highly recommended
    and I hope to convert more as I find those forgotten factory barrels hidden in closets /Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    Hoyt lines barrels, too. If I run across a suitable T/C barrel for the right price, I'd like to go the other direction, swamp one out and get a small caliber just for fun.

Boolit Master
    would it be possible for one of you to PM me the contact info on Bob Hoyt.
    I can not find it right now because most of my stuff is packed for moving to my new house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    would it be possible for one of you to PM me the contact info on Bob Hoyt.
    I can not find it right now because most of my stuff is packed for moving to my new house.
    Bob Hoyt 2379 MT Hope Rd Fairfield PA 17320-9407 Phone 717-642-6696 I f you call 7-8:00 AM is when I do ,he"s a busy man /Ed

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    How much $$$ is a rebore?
    The last one I had done 2yrs ago was $100,but I was a walk in customer with Green money on the hip. that was a investarms barrel from 45cal to 50cal. Most likely will be more now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Bob Hoyt 2379 MT Hope Rd Fairfield PA 17320-9407 Phone 717-642-6696 I f you call 7-8:00 AM is when I do ,he"s a busy man /Ed
    Edward, Thanks for the best time frame to call Bob, as well as all the other info.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Got him to rebore a TC barrel last year. $125.00 plus return shipping. Ended up right at $150.00.

Ive done this twice with Bob and he has done them for 125.00 plus return postage. He does a great job. Another place that has good barrels and will build you a brand new one is the Gun Works in Oregon. Susie and Joe are good to deal with. His Oregon barrels are good barrels. Yes there more than doing one with Bob but if you want a new one Joe will do it.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Boolit Master
    $125?...I need to find a suitable rifle and a couple barrels to convert. I have a H&R huntsman in 58 caliber that is a great round ball shooter and has account for a handful of deer across the country by myself and friends. I'd like to have a 58 for shooting heavy slugs
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    FYI to all folks considering reusing a factory T/C breech plug on a Green Mountain barrel. Many of the factory T/C barrels use 11/16 x 20 tpi breech plugs, where as GM uses 3/4 x 16 tpi breech plugs.
    Thanks! Great info.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD