Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help With a TC .50 cal Rifle

Boolit Master
    @Pietro
    Are those T C breechplug removal wrenches still available.
    I had one back in the late 70's, but lost it in several moves.
    Where can I find one ?

Boolit Master
    If it does blow air from nipple to the end of the barrel it still might have a ball stuck in the barrel. Sombody could have used a ball puller or other tool and drilled compleatly through the lead ball. You might try a larger screw in the bullet puller. Also if it’s a lead ball you can use mercury I have heard to dessolve the lead. I have only read that in a very old book so don’t know if it’s true. The hole in the ball might be striped out large enuf that only a very large screw might grab ahold of it.

Boolit Master
    I had a gun that I drilled completely through the ball. I had to get a bigger screw to get it out. I think I used a special screw for stripped holes in wood. It starts out normal and tapers bigger as you screw it down. If there is a ball in the gun with a stripped out hole you could use a metal rod close to bod size and tap the lead ball to close the hole and re try to pull it .

Boolit Master
    Mercury will dissolve the lead ball, but it will take some time and good luck finding enough mercury to get it done.

You might also pick up one of those USB cameras that will fit inside the bore, on Ebay that runs off your computer or Cell Phone.
    I have one I picked up for like $15.00 that I LOOK down barrels with.
    It isn't good enough quality to use an a barrel inspection tool, but it will at least let you see what is down there.
    Mine is small enough (5mm) to fit inside a .22 barrel, and has a 15 foot long tube.
    The larger diameter cameras ( 7mm or larger) give you a better Video
    the camera has built in LED lights in the end for better vision.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @Pietro
    Are those T C breechplug removal wrenches still available.
    I had one back in the late 70's, but lost it in several moves.
    Where can I find one ?
    Fleabay has them. Get the right size.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    post 21 says you pulled the breech plug and post 28 says you did not pull the breech plug. Which is it? If you don't have a breech plug tool or tools needed to pull the plug, take it to a gunsmith, pay the money and pull the breech plug and find out for sure what is blocking the barrel. Fix it and go shooting.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Not every gunsmith will pull out a breech plug.
    There are some muzzle loading repair shops that will do it but a person would need to send the barrel to them.

For example:--->>> https://www.muzzleloadershop.com/services-2/

Here's another:--->>> https://www.northeasttradeco.com

I'm trying to remember a poster describe how he melted a round ball that was stuck inside of his barrel.
    He recommended that someone else do it the same way after their ramrod end broke off along with the stuck ball.
    I think he said to place the breech end of the barrel inside a pot of molten lead until the ball melted inside of the barrel.
    Then what remains of the melted ball can be poured right out of the barrel.
    I don't recall him saying that he needed to use a propane torch, but it's possible that he did use one to assist.
    The barrel only needs to be heated up to a maximum of 800 degrees and given enough time to melt the lead ball if that's what's stuck in there.
    I don't know how to keep melted lead out of the nipple hole unless he replaced it with a screw.
    A person would need to be very careful, and I don't want to recommend anything that could be dangerous if there's powder left in the barrel.
    The powder would need to be dissolved and poured out for sure.
    That could be deadly if someone were careless about trying to melt a ball improperly.

I wonder if a good gunsmith might know how to take that route before he tries to remove the breech plug.
    I believed the poster when he said that it worked for him.

A grease zerk has also worked for many people and probably is a much better idea.
    Last edited by arcticap; 02-24-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If air can get by the obstruction grease can too.When you said it damaged the threads on the bullet puller you did use a caliber specific puller or wrap with tape or something to make sure the puller wasn't going between the bullet and barrel

Boolit Master
    I am thinkin there is a ball stuck and someone left the broken ball puller on top of the ball ,hence the damaged threads on your end ! I also think the grease gun trick works (threads are the same) /Ed

Boolit Master
    I call those muzzle loader bullet pullers a, "worm". There are spring looking "worms" for patches too.

And "worm" is easier to type, or say, than, "bullet puller".

Just sayin'...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    post 21 says you pulled the breech plug and post 28 says you did not pull the breech plug. Which is it? If you don't have a breech plug tool or tools needed to pull the plug, take it to a gunsmith, pay the money and pull the breech plug and find out for sure what is blocking the barrel. Fix it and go shooting.
    See post #38. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4583771

Already addressed & explained. You must have missed it...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=JBinMN;4583785]No worries from me. I just did not understand, as you saw from my post. It was confusing and now it is clear.

Like I said, G'Luck! & I hope things work out for ya & you get to shoot the rifle and it is a enjoyable shoot!
    [/QUO
    Thank you, when I re read it I thought what a brain f*rt.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    If it does blow air from nipple to the end of the barrel it still might have a ball stuck in the barrel. Sombody could have used a ball puller or other tool and drilled compleatly through the lead ball. You might try a larger screw in the bullet puller. Also if it’s a lead ball you can use mercury I have heard to dessolve the lead. I have only read that in a very old book so don’t know if it’s true. The hole in the ball might be striped out large enuf that only a very large screw might grab ahold of it.
    Thanks, I am going clean the old tc .50 smoothbore and try some shotgun loads this afternoon for fun then get back at removing that ball. I was thinking about getting a piece of all thread, welding a small lag bolt on the end, and maybe weld a tee handle on the end and try that.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Doubt you could even find mercury legally these days.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    Sorry my friend, I had an old man brain fart and called the nipple the breech plug. It happens. My brain was thinking how can I get that breech plug out without damage and my fingers typed breechplug. I apologies. I don't have the tools to remove the breech plug. And don't want to get rough with it and make it worse.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I am thinkin there is a ball stuck and someone left the broken ball puller on top of the ball ,hence the damaged threads on your end ! I also think the grease gun trick works (threads are the same) /Ed
    I am going to try the grease gun trick today. Another Gentleman mentioned that yesterday. And at this point what have I got to lose. I already dissolved what ever residual charge was left behind the ball yesterday. I removed the nipple put the barrel in the vise vertically and poured solvent down the barrel. I figured stuck ball best get that powder out before I mess around here. I kept pouring it down until it ran fairly clean. At first it ran very black. Guess I know why now at the auction I got the whole shebang for 150 dollars.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I call those muzzle loader bullet pullers a, "worm". There are spring looking "worms" for patches too.

And "worm" is easier to type, or say, than, "bullet puller".

Just sayin'...

I have the same type only not period correct like those. They just would not bite into it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    I have the same type only not period correct like those. They just would not bite into it.
    I just "borrowed" the pic off the internet to show what I was talking about. Mine are more modern as well.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    @ watcher
    Good luck with trying the greese gun today.
    But see if someone has one of those USB Endoscopes you can borrow, Or purchase one off the Net.
    If you get the Obstruction out, The scope is of good enough Quality on the video to tell if the Rifling is Galled up from Your or other peoples efforts.
    They are good enough for looking for Pitting in the chamber area of ML's, a common problem on used rifles that were not cleaned and maintained properly
    They are a handy device to have around, and have many other uses around the house of shop.

Boolit Master
    A Question for "Watcher."
    When you flushed out the chamber area after soaking.
    Was the Black Stuff coming OUT the Muzzle , or back out thru the Nipple Hole ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast