RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Garand with 210gr loads?

Boolit Master

Garand with 210gr loads?

Only 30cal mold I have on hand is a 210gr one. My Lyman book lists load data for cast bullets in the 30-06, but I was wondering if these loads might be to hard on the Garand action? Can this be safely done and will it cycle the action? Or would I be better off getting a lighter mold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 02-19-2019 at 11:38 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

It’ll be fine. Remember even at 2000 FPS a 220 grain boolit is still a reduced load in the 06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

I shoot the Lyman 311284 over 37 grains if H-4895 and it cycles my M1's without problem. It shoots very well and is a blast to shoot.

Boolit Master
    The mold/bullet I use in the Garand, I believe it's the 311299, drops at 202 grains. I don't believe that it'll be a problem.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    Problems with heavy bullet loads in the Garand were due to the slow burning powders normally used in such loads. So long as the powder used doesn't generate excessive gas port pressures there should be no problem.

Moderator Emeritus

My thoughts focus on the gas pressure built up from the initial "push" to get your bullet started down its path along barrel -- past the hole to direct gas pressure down to move piston to move op rod to work the action. Imho, the M1 Garand is a fine-tuned machine when all is in concert. Hence, the burning speed/rate of the powder, its amount, and the size of the bullet all need be working together. Too light, and action does not function as it should. Too heavy a bullet, or similar, and the results include a bent op rod at the least!
    For my Garand -- a Blue Sky Winchester import -- I bought an adjustable gas port -- https://www.creedmoorsports.com/prod...nd-Accessories -- and, with this marvelous addition, can readily shoot pretty much what I wish -- as long as I do "my part" and start with the widest opening, reducing as necessary to get perfect functioning. I've been happy with mine -- and suggest it for anyone shooting anything other than mil-surp Ball ammo in their Garand.
    geo

Boolit Master
    It isn't a simple function of bullet weight. Multigunner is exactly right--it's all about port pressure. There used to be a great thread from BruceB if I remember right that was made a sticky in the forum dealing with cast bullets in military rifles. Well worth the time to read it.

The short version is that when you're talking cast bullets you reduce velocity, losing port pressure and the Garand becomes a straight-pull bolt action. So you compensate with relatively larger charges of slower powders--powders that would generally be considered too slow for conventional jacketed loads, like 4350 and 4831. In this scenario the heavier cast bullets definitely work better. You can tune the charge weight to give you great cast bullet accuracy at velocities from 1700-2000 fps, and port pressures sufficient to drop the brass at your feet, and being very gentle on the op-rod.

Boolit Master
    Poke around here on the forum. There are several loads that people have used to run this type of bullet in a Garand.

I think the main concern is a decent bore riding nose that doesn't engage the rifling - for reliable semi-auto cycling. These semi-auto actions can't reliably force a bullet into the rifling like a bolt action can easily do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    I think the main concern is a decent bore riding nose that doesn't engage the rifling - for reliable semi-auto cycling. These semi-auto actions can't reliably force a bullet into the rifling like a bolt action can easily do.
    I've heard of slamfires happening in the Garand due to that.

Moderator Emeritus

2ndamendnentnut, all of the cast boolit loading info that you will ever need for the M1 Garand, IMO, can be found here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-S-s-M1-Recipe

Semper Fi, Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Seem to remember port pressures for the Garand should run 6000-8000 psi for proper functioning and safe operation aka no bent op rods. All I've ever shot in it was LC-67 M2 ball. Plus a few Ap rounds. I had a piece of 1" ballistic lexan the same stuff that's used to surround the tellers at banks. Made up a frame from 2"x4"'s which help the lexan upright but the 2"x4"'s angled back to allow seating against the berm at our range. 5 rounds went through that lexan like a hot knife through butter. The surviving piece ended up as a loading block for 45/70 cases. Really tough stuff and had to watch the speed with the forstner bit. Frank

Boolit Master
    Not to pimp my thread but without a lot of talk and redundant info being passed around I can give you a low down what’s been working for me and what’s not using a 311299 which would qualify you just the same using many diff powders

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-over-6-months