Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 358429 38 Special High Velocity with Unique

Boolit Buddy
    I have loaded some with 11.5 grains 2400 with 358426 and also 357446. It's been bad weather so haven't got to try them. I do like the 6 grain Unique load but have a bit of 2400 that doesn't get used much.
    OH, so much fun playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    Does anyone have the pressure associated with the 358429 in 38 Spl cases? 25-30k psi?
    With a .355" seating depth (1.57"COL), 26,700 psi
    With a .375" seating depth (1.55"COL), 28,000 psi

QL Estimates of Pmax

rsrocket1

Thanks for the data, I would have guessed those values. Substantially above .38 Spl.+P+ (SAMMI 22K), but well below .357 magnum (35K). Just as a point of interest, some of the old .357 Magnum loadings, were laboratory tested and were in the 45K range.

Thank you for the psi data as well.

Typical OAL using 358429 in 38 Spl cases is 1.537. Would you have psi data with that length? I’m afraid it may be at least 30k psi, definitely, 357 Mag territory.

Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It has to get above freezing with a little less wind before I do much testing though.

Rex
    Understand. Haven't fired a shot in a couple weeks but it's rain, not wind. If it weren't for my air rifle & a nice basement I wouldn't be shooting at all.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SvenLindquist View Post
    Why would anyone use 38 spec cases in a 357 magnum ? Who shoots 44 Russians in their 44 magnum ? 45-70s in a 45-90 ?
    Yes I shoot 44 special in my 44 mags Just like DIRTY HARRY ...... "44 - light special in this size gun gives less recoil and better control ..."

Well, I have 357s and 38 special revolvers so there is no reason to use 357 brass if I'm not making magnum loads or if I want to mess with different guns. Also I like to experiment with old load data such 38 super police or 38/44 which means using 38 cases. Plus different bullet/brass combinations yield different results in 38 vs 357 brass... 38 special factory loads are so inexpensive right now, they are less than reloading, so kinda means I havta use 38 in 357...
    -Mike

Boolit Master

When shooting a shorter case in a longer chamber, all that is needed is a short scrubbing with a dry chamber brush.

My Kids shot Cowboy for several years, about 20,000rds a year loaded in .38spl cases for 5-6 years. Marlin 1894CB & 1894CS, Colt SAA & Clones in .357Mag.

Never needed more then that dry brush at the end of the day. Knockdown rounds were identified by being loaded in .357Mag cases.

I still load the Lyman #358429 over 6.0grs of Unique for My old M27. I like the Bullet. I load 6.5grs in a .357Mag case for my other .357Mag Revolvers.

Used to shoot that 6.0gr Unique load in my Post War Colt Official Police. Now I've backed it down to 4.7gr, perfect POA/POI at 50ft.

I've shot enough Hot Loads over the past 60yrs.
    My Arthritis prefers the light loads.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Just out of curiosity, I paper patched some of my 358429 bullets, when fired out of .38 spl brass, there is little to no fouling in the cylinder.

My story about winter.. I checked my trail cameras, and on the 2nd of February there was a lot of bare ground, the next four weeks, I had snow almost every day, it is 3 to 4 feet deep in places, I have a pile 8' deep where the snow has slid off my porch roof, not very conducive for going to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    John, I don't know if I should thank you or blame you. I've read your tales of "6 grains Unique and 358429 in short brass so often that I loaded a bunch. Out of my 4" 686 it is quite mild and very accurate. I about froze yesterday out in my unheated garage casting that bullet.
    Now as for loading I was priming a Federal plated brass on my Dillon 550. The primer was very snug and having trouble getting started in so I applied a little more pressure to the handle and BANG. I was quite surprised at how far a Winchester SSPM primer will shoot flame out the mouth of a piece of brass. If that primer won't ignite something then it is unburnable!

Rex

Are your ears still ringing..

About five miles up as the crow flies (Sierra Nevada) there is literally many feet of snow - great skiing this year. They got ten feet over the past couple of weeks. Down here in the high desert the little snow that we had has melted and it is soon becoming “range time!”

I usually start seeing bears the first or second week in April, that may not be the case this year.

Boolit Buddy
    358429 loaded to crimp groove length in 357 cases will be too long for most revolvers. That's because Elmer Keith designed it for use in the 38 special case before the 357 magnum existed. I know that you can seat deeper in the mag case and crimp over the driving band but that just doesn't look right to me. I don't agree with the idea to never load 38 special above saami spec because someone someday might use them in a 38. I do agree with the post that said "don't use someone else's handloads".

...just finished reloading the last bunch of 50 358429 with 6.0 grs. Out to the range this week. I also ordered some Keith type SWC 170 grs bullets which appear to be a duplicate of the 358429s.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    John, I don't know if I should thank you or blame you. I've read your tales of "6 grains Unique and 358429 in short brass so often that I loaded a bunch. Out of my 4" 686 it is quite mild and very accurate. I about froze yesterday out in my unheated garage casting that bullet.
    Now as for loading I was priming a Federal plated brass on my Dillon 550. The primer was very snug and having trouble getting started in so I applied a little more pressure to the handle and BANG. I was quite surprised at how far a Winchester SSPM primer will shoot flame out the mouth of a piece of brass. If that primer won't ignite something then it is unburnable!
    As long as noone got hurt, that right there's purty funny. I tnink i would have filled my britches! Bruce

Boolit Buddy
    HI-SPEED, let us know how this load treats you. It's too cold to set up the chrony but I'd guess that I'm getting right around 1000 fps out of my 4" 686.

SCHRECK, yes that is a surprise and loud to.

Primers are high explosive, smokeless powder is a propellant. I seem to recall an article in the American Rifleman from back in the 70s, the writer claimed that if you could set off a tray (100 primers) , it would have the equivalent force of a fragmentation hand grenade.

Don't overload 45 colt either. Get 357 and 44 or 454 cases if you get magnumitus.

Boolit Master

I agree wholeheartedly with curioushooter
    The .45Colt is a great Caliber. If you need more Power get a .44Mag. And if you need even more Power then get yourself a .454 Casull.
    And if you need more then that.....

Buy a Rifle.

But the .38-44 is a great cartridge, load light or heavy. Just have fun.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast