MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand and cast observations over 6 months

Boolit Master
    I got a traditional sizer. Might do some velocity test w a group of shells when I get free time. I do know that provided above is good data for sure on where to start your Garand to get some good function and accuracy. Just keep that range bag free and clear if your opp linkage

Boolit Master
    So my last last test I did was for aa4064. My first test showed this

35.0 gr good group
    36.0 gr good group
    36.0 gr terrible stringing

I think that’s what I got anyway I could believe that my mid range load shot that bad so as promised I said I’d repeat my test to confirm

Different results

35.0 gr 1 1/2 inch
    36.0 gr 3 inch
    37.0 gr 1 1/2

Different and I believe I might have screwed up last time or this time but I think that 35.0 gr might be a deff repeatable part of the test

All test were done w 311299 powder coated .311 sized in mixed range brass all trimmed to same length and chamfered
    Last edited by odfairfaxsub; 05-24-2019 at 08:57 PM.

2400? Was this with an adjustable gas port?

Boolit Master
    I didn’t use 2400

Boolit Man
    After numerous years of playing with other projects, I got back to the Garand with cast and tried RL 7. Using a 311299 boolit sized to .310, Linotype... and working up from 26 grs of powder... I found it would function the action, and eject the clip at 30 grs, loading 1 cartridge at a time.

When I tried 30.2 grs of powder, I experienced a slam fire, loading 4 rounds per clip. When I returned to 30 grs, I had no slam fires loading 8 rounds.... yet. That makes me nervous. I am using Federal Match primers, so maybe changing to a CCI primer will help with that issue.
    Last edited by varminter66; 10-14-2019 at 11:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Try the WLR or the CCI military primers
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    That is CCI No 34 /7.62mm Military spec primers.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    Definitely agree on the CCI 34 primers. When I was playing with cast in my M1, I had better success with slower powders like H4350. I don't remember the exact load, but 35-36 grains sounds about right. I had to pack up all my casting and reloading gear for a house move and only now starting to setup my casting stuff again.

Boolit Man
    Well, I had some good results with Reloder 7 in the Garand today... I changed primers to WLR, which caused the powder charge of 30.0 grs to cease functioning the action completely, and the group opened up. So... increased the powder until I reached the max load listed in the Lyman Cast Reloading Manual, of 30.5 grs for the 311299 bullet.

To make a long story short...
    LCM cases Partial Full-Length sized, WLR primers, 30.5 Grs of RL 7, 3.280 OAL, Sized to .310 diameter, Linotype alloy, Lyman Alox Lube, Lyman Gas Check, and a firm crimp using Lee Factory Crimp die...

It cycles the action every shot, ejects the clip, no slam fires, and put 3 shots cutting each other, with the 4th shot outside the group by 1 inch at 50 yds, benched.

I loaded a full clip with this load, and will see how it looks at 100 yds as soon as weather permits.

Boolit Master
    Varminter66, why partial sized and not full-length? Just curious. I'm paranoid about slam fires and make sure I full-length size everything that goes through the Garand. I'm even tempted to get a small base sizer die just for Garand use.

Boolit Man
    It's a good question AlaskaMike... I have found better accuracy in my Garand by sizing the case to "drop in" the chamber... it's very near full length, but just short of setting the shoulder back... with the low pressure associated with the caste boolit loads, if I FL resize, I will have more head space than I care for. I would not define my chamber in my Garand as "tight" by any means.... my Garand has been used very hard in the past... I should probably spring for a new barrel sometime.

After I switched to a WLR primer, slam fires ceased. The Winchester Primer also required more powder to get it to function the action with a full clip. Accuracy was great if I want to shoot it as a single shot. but that is not my goal. 31 grs of Reloder 7 came very close to functioning with a full clip (8 rounds) in my rifle... Just about every time, the first 2 rounds required my help to feed, after that it cycled the rest of the clip. If I went beyond 31 grs, accuracy fell apart. It's close, but not quite what I am looking for at 100 yds.... soooo

I have an old load I am reworking using IMR 3031 powder... it was worked up using the Federal primers, and had some slam fires that time too... so I will rework it with the WLR primers, and see what happens at 100 yds.

Reloder 7, in my rifle just comes up a tad short for my satisfaction.... but it works great in my 03A3 and 35 Whelen bolt actions... a very good powder for cast boolits... just not in my Garand.

Boolit Master
    I do believe that for most anything faster than reloader 7 and faster will provide the greatest majority of people “less than reliable/stellar functioning”

Accuracy and function would be key

Varget and a Schuster Mfg. adjustable M1 gas plug is all you need to dial in a load.
    Underneath our starry, starry flag,
    We civilized 'em with a Krag.

Boolit Man
    The IMR 3031 loading is getting worked up... using 311299 NOE bullet cast with Linotype. I just shot an 8 shot group at 100 yds that measured a little over 3 ins. I believe I can get it tighter... and it functions the action flawlessly... I have a few more loads to try, and I will update with more info...

Boolit Master

The "Bob S" loads of IMR 4831 and heavy (@200) grain boolits provided the best accuracy and function for me. If memory serves me right I think I settled on 40 grains, but I'm not at home to confirm.

I got OK results with IMR 4895 and IMR 4320, but I did notice weather sensitivity. I believe the load was 35 grains. Loads that shot well and functioned perfectly in July were a bit iffy in October if it was chilly.

Boolit Master
    My Garands really like the Lee .311” 200gr RNGC over 36.0gr of H4895. I size to .311”

Using the 300yd sight setting for jacketed, they are poi/poa at 50yds.
    Excellent practice loads.

For the 03A3, most any .311” cast in my inventory over 16.0gr of #2400, with 500yd sight setting. My favorite is the Lee .312” 155gr PtdGC. 6-cavity mold!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by varminter66 View Post
    After numerous years of playing with other projects, I got back to the Garand with cast and tried RL 7. Using a 311299 boolit sized to .310, Linotype... and working up from 26 grs of powder... I found it would function the action, and eject the clip at 30 grs, loading 1 cartridge at a time.

When I tried 30.2 grs of powder, I experienced a slam fire, loading 4 rounds per clip. When I returned to 30 grs, I had no slam fires loading 8 rounds.... yet. That makes me nervous. I am using Federal Match primers, so maybe changing to a CCI primer will help with that issue.
    Never use Federal primers in a semi-auto. They are too soft. Use Winchester, CCI, or a primer specified for military rifles/semi-auto rifles.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    Never use Federal primers in a semi-auto. They are too soft. Use Winchester, CCI, or a primer specified for military rifles/semi-auto rifles.
    I so concur with BrassMagnet!!! re primers! I load several gas gun cartridges, and will use nothing other than the CCI #34 in M1 Garand cartridges; and, the CCI #41 primer in U S .30 Carbine cartridges. In my fifty plus years of recreational shooting, I have been at ranges where two gorgeous (as they all are ) Garands fell to slam-fires. While one may have been result of a loading bench error, that it was not a slam- could not be excluded. The second blow-up -- as far as I know a section/piece of receiver went into orbit and never came down -- was from, for a fact, Federal primer use.
    I weighed the cost of the CCI 34 or 41 primers versus injury possible/probably to me or others at ranges -- versus, if nothing else, the value of the wonderful rifles.... NO contest!
    (My two pennies on subject )
    geo

Boolit Master
    Federal primers are soft, they even warn against using them in some primer feeders for this reason.
    jim

Almost shot my car's front tire when I dropped a loose round of .308 down the chamber of my M1A and let go the bolt. Fed BR primer.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 12-02-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast