Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: M1 Garand and cast observations over 6 months

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    My Garand cycles just fine with 32 gr IMR 4895 and any cast bullet in the 150gr-200gr range.
    I use 1gr. of Dacron to hold the powder on the primer.
    This was suggested by Larry Gibson, who has done extensive testing with fillers.
    We have shot well over 1K of these loads without one malfunction.
    My rifle was dismantled and cleaned by a Garand expert without any lead buildup in the gas system.
    OK. . .I'm kinda starting to marvel at the mind of Mr. Garand all over again. . .

There's what? About an inch of barrel in front of the gas port on an M1, and 23 inches behind? Not much dwell time for ANY load to pressure things up and cycle all that mass and spring backwards, yet the rifle still runs when we drop the regulation charge by about 18-20 grains.

Truly a marvelous machine...
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    OK. . .I'm kinda starting to marvel at the mind of Mr. Garand all over again. . .

There's what? About an inch of barrel in front of the gas port on an M1, and 23 inches behind? Not much dwell time for ANY load to pressure things up and cycle all that mass and spring backwards, yet the rifle still runs when we drop the regulation charge by about 18-20 grains.

Truly a marvelous machine...
    A marvelous machine, indeed. BUT, all parts need to be in sync with each other, I have learned. My well-used specimen was quite fussy -- pretty much each trip to range had a draw-back -- until I did a few parts replacements. First, I got an Orion7 Spring, which alone made an awesome difference. Then -- the costly one -- I needed a new gas cylinder. (Using a gauge, the one I had was at the "OK" cusp.. but apparently wasn't?). Anyway, after just these two parts replacement, it was alllmost like a new rifle. The final for me was an entire new (milled) trigger group replacement (from Fulton) -- and now it may function with loads as above-mentioned.
    I'm just adding this that any -- like mine -- Garand off the rack may have limited functionality! A fellow at range used to say (he had purchased a Fulton-built M1), "there are Garands and there are Garands." Lots of truth to this!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    Yes...the garand isn't as fragile as the internet makes it out to be and it's actually quite forgiving in regards to what you feed it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Suggest a try with a dacron filler with the H4895 reduced to 30, 31 and 32 gr.
    Thanks, Larry
    I do have a couple of pounds of H4895 to try.
    But I have a nearly full 8 pounder of IMR 4895 that I bought before prices went to hell.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Thanks, Larry
    I do have a couple of pounds of H4895 to try.
    But I have a nearly full 8 pounder of IMR 4895 that I bought before prices went to hell.

Either will work nicely with the 311299 using a dacron filler.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla