WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: CLOSED: MP-Molds-Larsen-C432-250-RF-for-44-Special/ Magnum 444 Marlin

Boolit Master
    My guess is that since he is from Finland and they appear to be aluminum he is making his own. I'm not sure how St Bach might have gotten checks on his. I have some Gators and Hornadys here, can't find the old Lymans that I have. I took a few of both and put them on a aluminum plate and heated them until they got soft. Then I took the round end of a small ball peen hammer and pressed it in to open them up. No way are they going to fit on mine. Whats got me bamboozled is out of the group buy only about three if us are encountering problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    My guess is that since he is from Finland and they appear to be aluminum he is making his own. I'm not sure how St Bach might have gotten checks on his. I have some Gators and Hornadys here, can't find the old Lymans that I have. I took a few of both and put them on a aluminum plate and heated them until they got soft. Then I took the round end of a small ball peen hammer and pressed it in to open them up. No way are they going to fit on mine. Whats got me bamboozled is out of the group buy only about three if us are encountering problems.
    I will admit, my checks are made on a FreeChexIII out of aluminum and they were pretty tough to get on. I checked all the ones I’ve cast with this mold prior to noticing the issues everyone was having otherwise I would have done a little more testing between my hornaday check and the different thicknesses I have. This is not an offer of sale by any means but if someone wanted to do some testing I could sell/trade them some of the checks I made if they want? I don’t shoot 44 a lot but got in the groove and made some extra checks a couple weekends ago so I could spare some of what I have. Send me a PM if interested.

For those of us making our own, another thought I had was sourcing some slightly thinner material to cut them out of to make these easier. I use .014” thick sheeting currently based on Pat Marlin recommendations so I was wondering if there is a source for 0.012” or even 0.010” available to try? I know some say you can make out of soda cans but those come out too thin in my opinion and don’t stay on great (though didn’t test that against these bullets either).

Note: I am happy with my mold and not trying to complain about the shank as I didn’t have too much of an issue. Just trying to assist those that are having issues.

Boolit Master
    I finally had a chance to get some more cast up and my gas check shank came in at .418” with 94/3/3 alloy. I have the .432 4cav HP version.

I ran a little test with the three types of checks I had on hand: Hornaday (roughly 2014 purchase), vintage Ideal (1950s era), and my own Freechex III checks made with .014” aluminum.

Freechex were by far the easiest to apply though they were still a bit tough. Vintage ideals weren’t bad but did shave a little lead when being applied. The Hornaday were by far the hardest to apply. They actually cut into the lead that had lead coating the outside rim.

All were able to be applied but I did have to use some case lube in the die to get them to run through as this bullet is slightly oversized with my alloy and my Star .429 sized struggled a little. Actually had two of the test bullets with Hornaday checks get stuck to where I had to drill them out, but no issues once I used the case lube. If using normal lube in sized or tumble lube on bullets I suspect you wouldn’t have an issue.

Here is photo of Hornaday check with lead cutting on outside of the check (right side in photo). Please not lead cutting makes check look like it’s uneven but it is on square.

Moral of the story, use checks other than Hornaday and you’ll likely be ok. Do I wish shank was slightly smaller to fit checks easier, yes, but do I feel it’s outside of acceptable tolerances to where I need a replacement, no. I have other 44 molds that have tight shanks too so this isn’t outside of normal I don’t think.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the post! Took me half a month to notice. The Closed Buys Icon has been white (no posts) so long I gave up looking.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Time to break the radio silence on this one. Miha needs to get at least three of us fixed up on a refund or re cut. I know everyone is swamped right now but he can't ignore us any longer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Time to break the radio silence on this one. Miha needs to get at least three of us fixed up on a refund or re cut. I know everyone is swamped right now but he can't ignore us any longer.
    I fully agree. We are being brushed off. I have a mold which is absolutely worthless to me. I was told at first to return it for a full refund, and that it would be sent as soon as I furnished a tracking number. I asked for an address as to where to ship the mold and the world went quiet.
    This has gone on for far too long. A gas check shank which is .014" or more too large is un acceptable.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    The last group buy that I was in before this one was the 7mm Thor from the Sands group which was a total disaster. At least the Sands family had the decency to admit they screwed up and squared things away. This guy will not acknowledge he miss cut at least three molds and is choosing to ignore the problem hoping it will go away. The mold I received is worthless to me. The only thing its good for is a sinker on a catfish line.

I have sent him direct email but he ignores them, will not even reply.

Bluejay can you bump this one off top dead center so that I am not forced to file a claim back through pay pal?

I finally got around to casting a big lot with this mold yesterday. I have the .432 mold, GC, and I'm having the same problem. I have a supply of Hornady checks and some old Lyman, and neither will fit on the boolits. Impossible. So count me as number 4 having the same problem.

Boolit Master

I sent an e-mail and haven't heard a word. Apparently not willing to take care of the issue. I guess I'll have to try to get my money back through Paypal.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    I'm still waiting for him to make good on his mess. The mold I received is totally unusable- money wasted. I don't know what this guy is trying to pull.

Boolit Master
    Not trying to glib or anything but if You aren’t able to get a satisfactory response on this from Miha than I would advise the PayPal route, if unable to do that given how long ago it was than maybe just throw it up on eBay for what you paid for it and see if anyone bites so you can get your money back out. Might even be able to list a little higher and make something on it based on prices I’m seeing on there today.

Personally I have always had good experiences with MP molds and, while not as easy as I would like, I can live with this version of the mold. I PC so don’t necessarily need to check them anyways since I don’t shoot hot loads.

Another note I would like to make for future buys. The dimensional drawings for this buy do not include specifics on what that shank should be. Is it possible this fits the dimensions specified in what was sent? If that’s the case Miha isn’t to blame on the issue as he cut to requested dimensions. If we didn’t specify, same issue applies. Can the designer pipe in with what dimensions were sent?

I will try and remember to get detailed specs on any future buys I participate in to avoid these kinds of issues, I encourage everyone to do the same. That way if it’s not right I know why. But I do not hold this issue against anyone especially Miha, he’s a great vendor for us and I’ll gladly buy again despite this being the second buy I’ve been part of where something wasn’t right. (Other one was his responsibility and he took ownership on it and made it right so he gained my respect for that than and still has it now. )

Boolit Master
    I'm going to differ on my opinion. Miha just plain missed it on this one. He cut a trial mold to check dimensions, no knowledgeable mold maker is going to cut a .419 gas shank and think it is going to accept a gas check. I would be very surprised if Glenn put that number on the gas shank. My conscience will not allow me to sell this to some unsuspecting soul just for his hard earned money. I think we have all been patient with Miha because he has been a stand up guy in the past. I should have filed a claim with pay pal earlier but gave him the benefit of the doubt due to his past performance. Plus I don't think pay pal is going to be thrilled at bringing bullet molds in from another country.

Boolit Master
    I know a lot of folks are having problems with gas checks on this one. Mine is a plain base version, so thankfully I haven't had that problem.

The problem I am having though, is with the extremely tiny crimp groove on this design.

Can anyone involved in the design of this bullet explain why such a tiny crimp groove? This groove allows for only the smallest hint of a crimp. A good strong crimp with my Redding profile crimp die requires some serious effort and deformation of bullet metal.

I may end up passing this mold on to someone else who will be happier with it. I love everything about it, except for the almost non existent crimp groove.

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    I know a lot of folks are having problems with gas checks on this one. Mine is a plain base version, so thankfully I haven't had that problem.

The problem I am having though, is with the extremely tiny crimp groove on this design.

Can anyone involved in the design of this bullet explain why such a tiny crimp groove? This groove allows for only the smallest hint of a crimp. A good strong crimp with my Redding profile crimp die requires some serious effort and deformation of bullet metal.

I may end up passing this mold on to someone else who will be happier with it. I love everything about it, except for the almost non existent crimp groove.
    It was made specifically like that. In getting the proper chamber fit in everyones gun a crimp groove is never in the perfect spot. A larger crimp groove would not be as flexible to best OAL and good crimp. If youre having problems crimping...get a Lee Collett Crimp die.

JB
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Master
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

So I have found a solution that I think will work for me. I got the plain base check maker from PatMarlins and I am able to fit checks made of aluminum can material. I'm going to load up a box and try them out in my Henry 44 mag. I'll update after the range.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213