RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 Colt shooting all over.

Boolit Buddy
    I was a bit scared of shooting anything over 800 - 900 fps out of this Uberti. I was told that the linkage design was not very strong and I shouldn't load to heavy. I'd love to shoot a 300+ gr boolit out of it but figured the powder charge would tear up the action, or possibly me!! So tell me, should I keep the loads low? Or will the Uberti take a 1000fps round without damage?
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master
    Jack,

The metals in the Uberti are a lot stronger than the old Original Winchester '73. I had a Uberti '73, and shot 325 gr Lyman boolit @1300+fps with no adverse effect.
    *Please note I only shot about 500 rounds with this combination, so I don't know what the long term effect would be. It was a good gun, but I sold it and several others to buy a Shiloh Sharps.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Buddy
    Jon,
    Man, thanks for the info. Now I won't worry quite as much when I'm trying to pick a really accurate load for the gun. I'm going to load up some 700x for pigs this week and then some trail boss for Cowboy shooting. My next gun will be a .45-70 Sharps. Probably around February sometime..
    Thanks for the info...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WildmanJack View Post
    I was a bit scared of shooting anything over 800 - 900 fps out of this Uberti. I was told that the linkage design was not very strong and I shouldn't load to heavy. I'd love to shoot a 300+ gr boolit out of it but figured the powder charge would tear up the action, or possibly me!! So tell me, should I keep the loads low? Or will the Uberti take a 1000fps round without damage?
    Jack
    WMJ,

Bear in mind that a 850 FPS load out of a pistol will be near 1000 FPS out of a 20" rifle barrel. If the load is safe out of a pistol, it'll be safe out of the replica rifle (modern steels and all). I had a Winny 94 in 45 Colt that was a tack driver with loads that checked 900 FPS out of my Blackhawk Bisley, although the bullets were j-word. I DID find that heavy slugs were much better than lighter (225 or so). Good luck,

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Buddy
    Well today I took out the '73 and shot about 50 rounds of 230 gr rnfp over 5.5 gr. of 700X I was getting ( at 50 yards) 2 x's then 3 fliers. The fliers were mostly down and to the right. It drove me nuts. So tomorrow I'm going to try 6.o gr of 700X and the same boolets, then the same powder load under a 250 gr. rnfp. So we'll see what happens.

Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

I had good luck with Trail Boss.

Boolit Master

Wink Let's look at the details

First BRAND SPANKIN NEW gun, with cast boolit.

New gun, ONE random loading with no load development.

Shooting all over the place . . . .

A few ideas come to mind what the problem(s) might be.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

I'd do a barrel break in with copper first using light loads and the shoot clean method.

Boolit Grand Master

wildmanjack

Quite frankly your load is a pipsqeak cowboy action load. It may do fine out to the usual 25 yards for that "sport" but with the slow tist in your rifle you need a higher velocity to keep the bullets stable at longer range. Felix is correct, try 6 gr 700X and 6.5 and 7 gr. All are safe ".45 Colt" loads for the older gun actions. Your M73 should shoot that bullet well. I prefer the 200 gr Lee "cowboy" bullet in my rifle at 1100 fps. I also shoot a lot of SWC 200 gr .45ACP bullets. They are quite accurate. They look kind of funny and out of place in the .45 Colt but they sure do shoot good. I just worked up to good max loads in my Uberti SAA and then took that in the rifle...it worked out very well.

Larry Gibson

If you want to use the space in the 45 LC case, about 7.5 grs. of Trail Boss is good for just over 800 fps when using a 200 gr. RNFP plain base bullet.

Other than that, about 6.5 grains of Accurate Arms #2 will get the same velocity.

The standard deviations are in the low teens to single digits with both these loads.

This is from a 4-5/8" Vaquaro. The sights aren't the best, but I get groups of about 4" offhand at 25 yds and I don't shoot the handgun a Hell of a lot better than that, whatever I shoot.
    RedHawk

Call me Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    is that a commercial cast 225 rnfp??
    those do have a pretty small lube groove. but i have shot many of them with the plastic lube over 5.0 of clays.
    I will second this load .
    I shoot a heaver (255gn) boolit in my 1892 Puma 45 rifle. In fact around 5 grains the cases come out cleaner (less blow back). works well in my wheel guns also, at wheel gun distances.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by compass will View Post
    I will second this load .
    I shoot a heaver (255gn) boolit in my 1892 Puma 45 rifle. In fact around 5 grains the cases come out cleaner (less blow back). works well in my wheel guns also, at wheel gun distances.
    Just got a Lee 255 gr. mold and cast a few dozen yesterday. So I'm gonna try them. I weighed the rounds and found that they are a bit on the light side, like 5 gr. light. I was kind of suprised as I'm using WW's for casting and thought they would load closer to the 255 gr. weight that the mold was designed for.
    I let one of the range officers shoot my gun Friday, figured maybe it's me!!!! He said he thought that the boolet needed to have more velocity as he was shooting low and the rear sight was topped out. So I guess I should just start working up a load with the new boolet.
    I slugged the barrel last week and measured it at .450 wich also suprised me. I figured it would be bigger than that. So the new 255 gr boolets are not going to be sized, they cast at .452 I'm trying some spray on moly lube and we'll see what they do..

Jack
    Last edited by WildmanJack; 11-30-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Cast them hotter Jack and that shoud make them bigger.
    Did you slug it from the breach?

Boolit Master
    A quick try:

Take your boolits and lube as you are ...... and then also lube with Lee Liquid Alox as well.

I would also concentrate on boolit size in relation to your gun's ACTUAL dimensions .... not what a gunsmith tells you the size he reads from "tea leaves".

And with that in mind: Get this book .................

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

And really ...... drop the lead slugs for a little bit and run J-words and do the break in.

To get a jump on cleaning lead ...... this trick is in the above book ....... get some copper scrubing pads (Copper Chore Boy) or equivalent and cut a tuft of it and wrap it around an old worn bore cleaning brush ....... but before you stuff a generic brand down any bore .... test it with a magnet ...... the cheap Chinnese clones are generally steel coated with copper .... NOT GOOD ......

If the so called copper scrubber sticks to a magnet ........ scrub something else with it but NOT your guns!

The Beartooth book is going to blow yer hat off! Get it as soon as you can .........

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks a million you guys. Duke, aft43er our phone conversation, I'm going to do the breach thing, Three 44's, I'm ordering that book right after I post this.. Thanks again fellas.. Sure appreciate the info.
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Buddy

Smile Success !!!!!!!!

Went to the range to day, Shot a lee 255 gr. rnfp over 6 gr. of 700X, not sized, and sprayed with moly spray lube. Man did that boolet make a difference. At 50 yds with open sights I shot consistant 1.5 inch groups. Sure glad I listen to you guys!!! Thanks for all the help. I may still fire lap the barrell to see fi I can tighten up that 1 1/2" group a bit...
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Mold
    i also had this problem with my 1894 marlin in .45 colt, couldn't get it to group with 200 gn slugs, all were sized to .454, ended up moving to 250's and it came right it. Decided that the extra bearing surfaces just keeps everything lined up better. I also use downsized 330 gould HP's in this gun and they do very well. My regular load for this rifle is 250 lead with 10gn unique.

Boolit Buddy
    Way to go Goatboy, glad u picked up on the heavier boolet. It took me a while, I was ready to trash the gun.. Now I'm VERY happy I didn't..
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Mold
    yea it's my go to plinker these days, 10 rounds, no recoil and big holes!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12