Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LBT Blue lube?

Hey, no problem about the suspected thread hijack. It doesn't bother me, and on this board, I pretty much expect it to happen.

So, this speed green sounds pretty easy to make, guess I'll have to order some bullplate lube. What applications is speed green best for? I mostly shoot 45 Colt and 45 ACP with my cast boolits, but occasionally some 30-06 as well, and would like to start casting for my 35 Whelen and 40 S&W. Which of these applications will speed green work well for, just the rifle, or the low pressure pistol stuff as well?

Boolit Master

Talking

Yondering, the reason that I asked Larry Gibson about his palma rifle is, in palma shooting the only caliber allowed is .308Win. with a maximum bullet weight of 156 grs. With the high BC. of these bullets the bearing surface is short and at 2900+fps muzzle velocity for the rifling to get the best grip on the bullet the barrels are made under size such as .3065x.298.This makes a new problem of oversize boolits and under size barrels. It sheds some light on the importance of fitting the boolits to your barrel and the requirements of the lube at the velocity's that he is shooting at. It is nice to know that people here have shot at high velocity and reported what worked and what did not. I have been using Bullshops NASA lube but right now I have not tried to shoot anything over 1500 fps, just playing around while I heal up some more. I bought the NASA lube because I wanted to try it for my black powder cartridge rifles with both black powder and smokeless.

Banned

Ill say this. If it werent for the fact that ive got so much beeswax and bulk alox and ingrediants to make felix sitting in the barn id be using Lars lubes exclusively. A guy can hardly make them any cheaper then he sells them and they work as well as anything ive tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast View Post
    I have a small sample of Carnuba Red and BAC from Lars, but have not tried them yet. I still have Felix lube in my sizer. I tried LBT Blue several years ago and it works well, but the last I knew it was about $4.00 per stick and from what everyone says Lars lubes work great., and is much less expensive. IMO, Felix WFL is the best I have ever used- so far. Of course, that's handguns only, I don't cast for high speed rifles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NHlever View Post
    44 Man, So, in the end what lube do you use in your handguns? I know you shoot some pretty fantastic groups at long range, and would appreciate that input.

Larry, Thanks so much for the detailed response! I tried a "blue" hard lube, and didn't care for it. My accuracy tests with handguns, and rifles at lower (under 2000 fps) showed a strong advantage to the RCBS pistol, or rifle soft lubes. I'm just starting to bump my velocities upwards in my rifle loads, and am low on lube, so these responses are timely!
    I mostly use Felix because I don't size a lot of my boolits. I can smear Felix into the grooves by hand. Then I run them through an exact size Lee die or one a tad larger just to remove excess lube. It IS messy. I have lapped a lot of Lee dies for what I need and I also made a lot of brass cookie cutters.
    For boolits that need some sizing I use my RCBS with Carnauba Red. Accuracy with both is very close.
    I had some old LBT Magnum lube and it worked like Felix.
    I have not tried Speed Green yet, I need to order some Bullplate lube. Been broke since I had to buy stuff for my lathe.
    Accuracy needs to be discussed in depth when talking about a lube. Many are happy with 2" at 25 yd's, some want that at 50 yd's. Everyone has a different use or need. Most any lube will work for them. I have no beef at all with what others like to do.
    I am kind of goofy about it and since I just hunt now, I don't NEED the accuracy but to me there is nothing as pleasing as hitting a pop can at 200 yd's.
    So when I say a lube is not accurate for me, it is still withing the range of what most guys shoot. If my groups go from 1" or less at 50 yd's to 2" to 3", I don't consider that good.
    Even more pleasing is taking a factory gun out of the box, do the trigger and start shooting tiny groups. One friend just bought SBH Hunter and the first groups at 50 were all in an inch. (He was shooting.) Another brought a new BFR 45-70 and I was hitting 1-1/4" targets at 100 yd's. Nothing done but the triggers. I got them both to 2# in less then an hour.
    Whitworth's .475 is hovering at an inch or less when he shoots.
    No load work was done at all. What I make for my guns works in all of them.
    And the most important thing of all! Doing all the work to get the accuracy along with all the bench shooting, has made me a much better shot off hand, able to call where every boolit went, hit or miss. I actually shoot better as the range gets longer. My deer hunting is all off hand so that means a lot to me.
    The WAY you load and the tools used is what makes it work. I do it with a whole variety of boolits for each gun. Seldom do I find a boolit that will not shoot. I must have at least 5 for each gun that all shoot the same.
    I don't sweat the small stuff! I never weigh boolits. I don't care if they age hardened so many days. I don't care if my alloy is off each batch. I don't care if I size after casting or next year. All of those little things constantly discussed here don't mean a thing unless you are shooting BR or reaching for some super rifle velocity.
    Learn to relax and to pay attention to your loading practices.
    1000 loads an hour from a Dillon will not hit your targets. Load each one like it is the only one. Many times I cast 50 and load 20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12