RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 358 200

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My ocd saw that as well. Too long for nose or knuckles...Chest hair reloads. Better on your bullets than my bacon wrapped venison straps.

I’ve been shooting these over 13g of 700x (358 win)

What’s everyone else shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm A Honcho!
    14.0 H110 as a solid Seated deep into a 357 magnum case and crimped with a Lee Collet Crimp Die. One of the best shooting loads I have in 357 Magnum. Shoots well in pistol and rifle. I plan on shooting the penta with the same charge.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    14.0 H110 as a solid Seated deep into a 357 magnum case and crimped with a Lee Collet Crimp Die. One of the best shooting loads I have in 357 Magnum. Shoots well in pistol and rifle. I plan on shooting the penta with the same charge.
    Well that’s very interesting! What is your COL ?

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by zymguy View Post
    Well that’s very interesting! What is your COL ?

Will have to let you know. Usually I set my COAL to my shortest chamber which happens to be the 77/357. I probably have 1500 of these loaded. Handful in a pistol and a killer in a rifle.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.

I'm A Honcho!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	243702

Ballistic Coefficient makes this shoot really well. If the Full diameter carried all the way to the ogive it would be even more accurate IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejay75 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3284.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	243702

Ballistic Coefficient makes this shoot really well. If the Full diameter carried all the way to the ogive it would be even more accurate IMO.
    They look crimped but not rolled or rolled with a flat afterwards. What is that a lee factory crimp die or a taper crimp die ?

I'm A Honcho!
    Collet crimp die. I wouldnt trust the others to hold it in place given the crimp location. The collet crimp lets you crimp wherever you find a flat spot.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/75...ABEgKPrvD_BwE#

The top thirty are my go to 700x the bottom 30 are my first try with unique. Middle 40 are really new territory of imr 4227
    With a bit of luck I’ll be trying them out at 200 yards tomorrow

Keep us posted on the 200 yard grouping. I’m going fire up my pot when my 450 BM group buy mold shows and brake in my .358 group buy mold as well. My plan is to run them in my 35 whelen pushed a little harder if they don’t lead. I’ll be PCing and GCing mine. My plan is to try the penta HP pin with 50/50 ACCOWW and pure with 2% pewter added and work up to 2300/2400 FPS or a little faster...what is the velocity threshold before leading with PC anyways? I know with J words 3000 FPS is obtainable but I don’t want to lead my barrel by pushing my cast too hard.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-19-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Finally got to the 200 yd line today . I shot pretty poorly. My “ groups were similar with both the 700x and the unique. I only shot single digit rounds of the 4227. The point of impact was so much higher the group was confused with the other two so I quit with the faster rounds . I’m going to load the cases I emptyed up with Rx 7 and try all 4 again.

I’m very interested to hear how your 35 Whalen trials go. I’ll caution against chasing speed for speeds sake . As your aware some smart fellers have walked before us. Good luck !

I’m not expecting miracles either. What did your 100 yards groups measure before you stretched it out to 200? Never did try my 77/44 groupings past a 100 yards but I did get two different sub MOA loads...It’s the only rifle I’ve spent time with cast so far besides my Ruger American 450 BM. Even though I’d never shoot a deer that far with the 44 mag rifle I’m curious how much the groups will open up.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-28-2019 at 02:04 PM.

358 200

The 358 with 13g of 700x shot around an inch . I did not have a rear bag at that time . I think that I was the limiting factor .

200yd bench

I played with my MP 358-200.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7-Sig-Subsonic

One of these days I'll get around to trying it in a .35 Remington.

Anyone get a chance to harvest a deer with one last year? Curious how they performed.

I finally broke my mold in today. I casted up some shiny 16/1 pure lead and Pewter mix. It has a Bh of 7.8. I’ll PC them tomorrow. I’ll end up trying them in my 35 Rems and 35 whelen. The majority dropped at 198 grains. To be precise 6 pounds of the 9.2 pounds came up within 198.0 to 198.9 grains. I ended up with finning around all the HP cavity areas. I can remove the finning with my fingernail easily. Any suggestions on how to keep it from finning? I ran my lee 4/20 at about 8.5 and kept my mold nice and hot. About 3/4’s of the way through my casting the sprue plate was acting like it warped and was not sitting flush. I was getting a thin sheet of lead between the boolit and sprue plate. I kept trying to adjust the plate till it would sit flush. I think it has something to do with the bent looking washer under it.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-29-2020 at 04:43 PM.

I figured out if I rubbed the HP tip flat against a piece of paper and rub it back and forth a couple times that the finning comes right off.

Here’s a couple of purple rejects I PC’d. I dropped a few that the alloy was too hot yet and olonged the HP cavity a little. I must have had a couple of boolits hit each other on the way out as you can see a dent on the line groove on the right side boolit. I’m sure it will shoot accurate enough for plinking. I clear PC’d the good ones and PC’d the oblong HP holed boolits blue and purple.

I casted up 7.2 pounds of 50/50 pure lead and COWW plus 2% pewter today. I kept my lee 4-20 on 8.5 and I believe it was almost too hot. I had a huge pile of molten crud built up on Top the lead. Very consistent pour! Out of all of the boolits only 37 weighed 196.0 to 196.9 and all the rest 197.0 to 197.9!

I cut my sprues quicker this time and the baes were all flat. I had some lead smear I’ll have to get cleaned off a two little spots I’d lead around my mold halves I’ll have to clean off as well. I love MP molds! This mold is very easy to cast with!

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-21-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    triplebeards - Wonder if the HP pin is holding the mold open, thus causing the finning?

Don't know. Not that big of a deal to rub each one a few times on some cardboard to flatten them out. I have to do the same thing with my Lyman Devastator boolits. If I use soft alloy like the 16 to 1 with a 7.8 BH it flattens the finning right out with a flat seater die anyways.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-24-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast