Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 358 200

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I got it to feed and cycle right off the bat first measurement try in my Remington 7600 35 Remington loaded at 2.370”. My max OAL was 2.388”. The jury is still out on my 35 Whelen 7600 as it’s back to Remington for j word feeding issues.

And here are some I heated and swaged an air soft BB into to aid in feeding

I shot the top group today with my 336 at 100 yards today. The group was without a BB swaged in...I haven’t tried the swaged BB boolits yet. First time shooting the group buy boolits. I only loaded up nine loads to try with Varget and two different alloys. The top group was shot with a load of 40 grains of Varget with 50/50 pure and COWW plus 2% pewter. The bottom group was shot with a lee 200 grain boolit. My bore slugs at .357” and I sized to .3595”. I had zero leading.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-10-2020 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Spelling

I re tested the 40 grain varget load today after I lightened my trigger pull to 2 1/4 pounds. Here is my first 100 yards three shot group today...

I also had just enough H4895 to load up three rounds so I rolled the dice and decided to load up a max j word book loading to test...

I tried the varget load at 200 yards today. I shot three, three shot groups that averaged 2 & 3/4" groups. I used to big of a target so I didn't aim small and miss small imo. I'll try again when I make some smaller targets and I'm sure I'll tighten up my groups a little. I sighted it an 1" high at 100 yards so I should be 2" low.at 150. My groups were 9" low at 200. I don't have a 200 yard shot anywhere on my property but in sure if I aimed at the top of a deer's back at 200 yards it would be down for the count.

Here’s my sight in picture. Shot number one is where I started. Number two was two clicks right and one up, shot number three was three clicks right and two up(musta flinched), shot four was one up and two right, shot five two more right, and shot six was one more click right. I didn’t shoot again but clicked one down and then shot 200 yards. Maybe my scope wasn’t moving with the clicks? It has 1/4” clicks. I see I was still a about a good click to the left yet after looking at my 100 and 200 yard shot placement when I got home so moved my scope one click to the right again.

The gun is definitely hitting where I’m aiming that’s for sure. My last three shot groups of 1 to 2 clicks to the right each time we’re almost touching and under an inch.lol I Plan was to sight it in 1” high At 100 yards so it will be 2” low at 150 yards which is my farthest spot I can shoot on my property. I plugged in Remington 200 grain core loct data into my hornady drop calculator. The core loct is about identical in velocity to my load. The program said if my 1” high at 100 I’d be -2 at 150, and -9 at 200 yards. There is not a 150 yard target at my range so I figured I’d try the 200 yard target there just for kicks. I made my targets to big so imo I failed at the aim small, miss small philosophy. I made a huge square to aim at. I then measured from the middle of it and made a dot 9” low on the paper. I was just about exactly 9” low and shot a 2 3/4” group my first try. I shot two more 200 yard groups and were pretty close to the same measurements. Even though my crosshairs are pretty thick at this distance and a lighter trigger would help I know I can do still better with the way it’s set up. I’ll make some smaller targets to aim at and re try in the next couple of days.

Here’s my first three shot 200 yard group.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-16-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks for the update! These were the 50/50 with tin in hollow point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they have a BH of 10.4 and GC'd. My mix was 50/50 AC coww and pure lead flooring with 2% pewter added to the total weight, I tumble coated Smoke's clear PC and used the round HP pin like the purple ones above. I believe using the Lee collett factory style crimp that other members turned me onto helped with consistency and tight groups. Oh, and sized at .3595" ... my bore slugs at .357".
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-15-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    triplebeards - Wonder if the HP pin is holding the mold open, thus causing the finning?
    I inspected the mold about a month or two ago. I had “tinning” on the mold and pins. It’s all cleaned off now. I’m sure I’ll be good to go till it happens again. I like to run my mold and alloy hot. Around 8.5 on my lee 4/20 pot. Fills the mold in perfectly but I get “ tinning” pretty quick unfortunately. I’ve heat treated the mold a half dozen times and it still doesn’t help. I’m going to oxidize it with salt and vinegar fumes before I use it next time to see if it helps. I polish my pins before use every time and even color them with pencil lead. I have even tried Rockford arsenal release spray in the past and I still get tinning on them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-31-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Shot my first deer with it the other day at 11 yards. Dropped in its tracks!

Loaded at 2100 FPS and 10.4 Bh. That boolit is nasty!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 12-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Haha. I think you used "enough gun." You probably could have used a sidearm at 11 yards and saved some meat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123