RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Ranch Dog in a Ruger #1

Boolit Master

Ranch Dog in a Ruger #1

I asked this on the single shot forum and thought this might draw a few more replies.
    Will a Ranch Dog .460-350 work O.K. in a Ruger #1 .45-70?
    I know the Ranch Dog has a wide front end and the Ruger has very little throat; but I really like the design and price of the mold.
    All replies appreciated!

Boolit Master
    Buy the mold. Learn to make it work.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Bub
    I recently sold a No.1-S in 45/70, that shot cast bullets great. I never fired any RD bullets in that rifle, but would guess that depending on sizing, alloy, & powder selection, you will be a happy camper.

W/ 300 - 405 grain, gas checked bullets ranging from 15 - 22BHN, I found that the slower then traditional IMR3031 produced the best groups. Some were truly outstanding.

I tried IMR4198, but aside from jacketed plinkers, never had much luck w/ it.

Suggest you size at .459" - .460", & use a good lube. If the cartridge chambers (bet it does) w/ the bullet seated to the crimp groove, you should be good to go - once you find your load.

One further suggestion. An awful lot is made of the Level #III 45-70 loads, possible to use in the No.1. Unless you are a regular glutton for punishment, I'd recommend you stick to Levels #I & #II, from Lee 2nd. Better accuracy, plenty of knock down, & less pain - for you and your rifle.

Just my $0.02 - your mileage may vary... ;=]
    "Sometimes you make eight - sometimes you hit dirt!"

Regards - GCF