RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scam call

Boolit Master

Scam call

I received a phone call today from someone who called himself officer Gibbons. He said he was calling to tell me about a legal action being taken against my Social Security # and for more information call this number. I have no idea what the scam is or how it works but the area code for the # I was to call is in I Illinois. Anyone else got such a call?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    I received a phone call today from someone who called himself officer Gibbons. He said he was calling to tell me about a legal action being taken against my Social Security # and for more information call this number. I have no idea what the scam is or how it works but the area code for the # I was to call is in I Illinois. Anyone else got such a call?
    Careful, it's probably a Democratic fundraiser.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Omega you may be right they have to get enough money to run Hillary again.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't remember the callers name, but I've gotten three calls in the last two days, with the same line. Be cautious, they come in all flavors.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Small county here in Arkansas. Some idjit had the brass to call a few folks here claiming to be so & so, a county deputy, and demanding money. Shoot, everyone here knows all the deputies. That dog did not hunt.

Legal actions are served in writing...or in person! ...not via phone call. Scam for sure.

Boolit Master

got the same call. any recorded call like that is fake and a scam.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Legal actions are served in writing...or in person! ...not via phone call. Scam for sure.
    a social security number is not a legal entity, so not legal action can be taken against one. sounds like he is gonna ask what your name and number is so that he can "clear this matter up". don't respond.

Boolit Master
    I have got a couple of calls from a taped voice sounding like a sinister version of Lily Tomlin's Phone Company Lady, telling me that due to suspicious activity they would be "suspending my social security number and all my social benefits". I should press 1 for more information....I laughed hung up and blocked...they call back on another number but the same message a few hours later...and again today.

I can see how some might panic. I am sure it is a scam to get SSN's.

Boolit Master
    I've gotten to the point that if I don't recognize the number and don't get a voicemail I just ignore it.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I get Cathy in Card Services every few weeks. The IRS called a couple times threating jail, it's one of the biggest scams. The best is Russians claiming to be from Windows. They have a "boiler room" that sounds like a party.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I think lately my phone calls have been about 90% scam baloney; It's past getting annoying, LONG past. I've had Social Security fraud calls, supposedly Microsoft "refund" scams, supposedly Microsoft "virus and malware" being sent through MS's servers (which is NOT the way the 'net works, it's a mesh network...) and the always stupidly amusing "This is Nancy at your credit card company" scam BS... Among others. I detest those so much. But, unfortunately, I can't reach through the phone to throttle these jerks...

Boolit Master
    I'm still waiting for the "IRS" and the sheriff's deputies on my 2 warrants to arrive

I get Cathy in Card Services too. She says she is going to lower my interest rate. Since I always pay my bill in full, my interest rate is effectively zero. If they can lower it beyond that, they will be paying me.

Boolit Master
    HEY thats my money...! Send in care of "CLAYPOOL" and I will personally get those charges dropped. P.S. The dogs name is ROO - ROO and he likes treats .. that will get your cases front lined in court.

Moderator Emeritus

I still get the ones where my loan for $250,000 has been approved and they just need more info....

Boolit Master
    [I] get two different ones. One says my student loan has been forgiven. I'm 70 and never had a student loan in my life. The other wants to extend my cars warranty. My newest car is a 2001 with 200,000+ miles. So, being retired I have the time to waste their time so I answer and push the button to talk with a rep. When they ask for my name, I ask who they called because I am the one THEY just called. When they ask about extending my car warranty, I ask which one as I have three. I got instant hang up on that one. I figure if I have to dig my phone out of my pocket to answer, I am going to waste a bit of their time. I never give my name or any numbers to anyone that calls me. I figure it's better to give a fake number and name and let them waste more time finding out I scammed them.

The sad thing is not just the ones that fall for it, but other victims as well.

A lot of medical folks (my cardiologist being one) hide their number. I think they're worried about the HIPAA rules and don't want to risk anything. I too, have pretty much stopped accepting calls from numbers I don't recognize. I don't know anyone in Jamaica, British Columbia...etc. I guess it's a good thing I felt lucky that day and answered my cardiologists call or I would have missed an appointment made 6 months prior.

Hopefully, the phone companies will step in and do something. We are definitely in need of a new DO NOT CALL list.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The sad thing is not just the ones that fall for it, but other victims as well.

A lot of medical folks (my cardiologist being one) hide their number. I think they're worried about the HIPAA rules and don't want to risk anything. I too, have pretty much stopped accepting calls from numbers I don't recognize. I don't know anyone in Jamaica, British Columbia...etc. I guess it's a good thing I felt lucky that day and answered my cardiologists call or I would have missed an appointment made 6 months prior.

Hopefully, the phone companies will step in and do something. We are definitely in need of a new DO NOT CALL list.

Murphy
    There is nothing wrong with the current do not call list...we just need someone to put some teeth into violations. It is labor intensive and expensive but serious fines, and jail time for chronic abusers just might have a deterrent effect. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't be doing it.

Boolit Master

A stupid Question/s (Yeah, that might mean I am Stupid - But):

Why do we never hear of any States or the Federal Government making arrests associated with the Illegal Criminal acts?

Why do we never hear of any State or Federal (i.e. FCC) actions that resulted in one of these operations being detected and shut down?

(P.S. Just wrote the White House and asked the same Question and mentioned that the President, Justice Department, and FCC have the job in this area, organizations all ready in place to do something, and the funding - asked when they are going to take action.)
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-22-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast